Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Boardwalk Empire-The Show to Watch This Fall

So I got my hands on HBO screener DVD's and watched the first 4 episodes of the new HBO series, Boardwalk Empire. There's plenty of hype surrounding this and it's well deserved. Terence WInter, writer for Sopranos is involved and the big name, Martin Scorsese is attached to the show as well. He directs the first episode. Steve Buscemi is the lead, so there's plenty of good names behind this show.

This will be a well discussed show, so it deserves its own thread. Here's a trailer for those who are not familiar with it.

I was hooked after Episode One. Seriously hooked. It's a 75 minute episode and they pack a lot into it. I'm no historian or know a lot of this era by any means, but you get the feeling that the show is pretty authentic. The sets, the clothing, the music, the language, everything seems pretty real. The show has got some great style, is very violent but more importantly, very slick and well crafted.

My main concern about this show was whether or not Steve Buscemi could pull off the "Kingpin" type role. He's never really been that kind of guy. I wasn't sure if I would believe him as being the tough guy. After watching the first four episodes, I realize they made the right choice. The character he plays, Nucky Thompson is not like a Tony Soprano, he's not a Jimmy Conway. Nucky is a sleazeball with some class if that makes any sense. He's got two lives. One as city treasurer and one as a powerful man who dabbles in bootlegging, gambling and prostitution.

The stories revolve around Nucky, but some of the supporting characters are very strong as well. Look out for Jimmy, one of Nucky's "soldiers" who just came back from the war, who wants to get back in the business right away. Also, the character of Margaret. An Irish immigrant who comes to Nucky for help with her abusive husband. In episodes 2-4, you see a lot of her and she's a very interesting character. Also, you see Al Capone as a common thug, before he becomes the legend we know him as now. Very cool stuff.

edit...oh and those fans of HBO's The Wire will be happy to know that Michael K Williams is in it. Definitely a different character from his iconic role on the Wire as Omar.

This show will be a big hit and will generate a lot of buzz and I woudln't be surprised if it cleans up at the Emmy's next year. It will have to beat out Mad Men, which won't be easy(Mad Men has been very good this season)), but from what I've seen, it's definitely in the conversation about Best Drama.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 09-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

DAMMIT, I thought this looked good too.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha, I might give this a try, but as with Breaking Bad and Hal, it might take a bit of work for me to believe Buscemi outside of his typecast role
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

been looking forward to this ever since the first trailer came out 6 or 7 months ago and the reviews have been outstanding
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does HBO ever make bad shows anymore?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
True Blood
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been able to set a series recording in their PVR yet? I tried a few days ago and wasn't able to locate the show.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so excited for this show to start. Been looking forward to it since I saw the first trailer almost a year ago.

Between this, season 5 of Dexter, season 2 of Eastbound & Down, and season 4 of mad men, my sunday nights/mondays are going to be full for the next little while.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
True Blood
I haven't given True Blood a fair shot (watched the pilot), but most of what I've heard has been positive.

I was thinking about watching it with the lady friend, but my TV schedule is pretty full already...

Go ahead, convince me not to!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boardwalk pilot cost $50 million, previous most expensive pilot was Lost... $12 million.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Boardwalk pilot cost $50 million, previous most expensive pilot was Lost... $12 million.
According to Variety it was $18M.

The Wall Street Journal pegged it closer to $30M.

Where did you see the $50M number?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/08...-million/59436
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
parch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just saw the trailer for this last night. It looks wicked! When is it on??
parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks awesome. Thanks for posting about it, never heard about it until now. Looking forward to watching it!
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I haven't given True Blood a fair shot (watched the pilot), but most of what I've heard has been positive.

I was thinking about watching it with the lady friend, but my TV schedule is pretty full already...

Go ahead, convince me not to!
The up side is you will probably get shagged, the down side is she will be screaming 'bite me Eric' throughout.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 09-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
According to Variety it was $18M.

The Wall Street Journal pegged it closer to $30M.

Where did you see the $50M number?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/08...-million/59436
Oh yeah, my bad... misread an article. I knew that sounded ridiculous, probably $50 million for the season. I'll see if this can dethrone Breaking Bad as the best show on TV.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The last few years for HBO have been rough, their only real hit has been True Blood

Entourage doesn't bring in big ratings anymore, so they need this show to be huge

and I think it will

Quote:
Oh yeah, my bad... misread an article. I knew that sounded ridiculous, probably $50 million for the season. I'll see if this can dethrone Breaking Bad as the best show on TV.
If it can do that I will be extremely impressed, the past 2 seasons of Breaking Bad have I think been 2 of the best seasons of any tv show ever
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Has anyone been able to set a series recording in their PVR yet? I tried a few days ago and wasn't able to locate the show.
I was having those issues yesterday, but my Shaw PVR has HBO Canada's listings for the next 14 days or so, and I was able to start my series record for Boardwalk.

This Sunday at 8pm Pacific.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
The last few years for HBO have been rough, their only real hit has been True Blood

Entourage doesn't bring in big ratings anymore, so they need this show to be huge

and I think it will
That doesn't mean they make bad shows. Just because a show is not a huge hit doesn't make it bad.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I worry when a show is hugely hyped and then its release gets held back, I suspect this may turn out to be a bit of a dog.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
That doesn't mean they make bad shows. Just because a show is not a huge hit doesn't make it bad.
true, but they also haven't made well received shows the last few years

Hung is panned by critics, Entourage has been the last few years (even though I liked it during that time), I liked How to make it in America as well but I don't think it got a lot of press from critics

John from Cincinnati was very bad I thought

They used to be the network of the "best" shows on TV when it had the Sopranos, the Wire, Six Feet Under

now AMC has Mad Men, Breaking Bad (and Rubicon which has potential)

Showtime has Dexter

The best show they have in terms of quality is probably True Blood, but even that has almost as many detractors as it does people who like it

HBO has been struggling lately was the only point I was trying to make
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:

Tags
al capone , martin scorsese , nucky thompson , steve buscemi , terence winter