Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #3681
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Toews is truly available you do your absolute best to make it happen.

He shuts down McDavid. That’s already a big enough plus on its own.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #3682
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Who else would be bidding for Toews if he asked for a trade? Maybe toews wants to win a cup in a canadian city...
If they retain a portion of his contract? Anyone looking to win during the next 3 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #3683
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just need to find a good buddy of Toews and sign as 12-13th player with a league minimum salary, and try to convince Toews to come here. It worked this year so we need try. Send Hanifin, Ryan and draft pick /lotto protected/ and any of prospect if Chicago retain some salary. Toews type veteran C is most needed here to win a few rounds in playoffs.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #3684
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't subscribe to the notion that the Flames get by Dallas with a different goalie. Pick the evidence that suits you, but as an example the high danger chances for and against in that series were 53-37 in favor of Dallas. Corsi, actual shots, expected goals... all heavily favored Dallas.

I'm not sure you can bank on the idea that a goalie steals you the series.

The Flames can play differently with a better goalie but I believe there is still ample evidence that the players in front of the goalie aren't yet good enough to win against good teams.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #3685
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO no need to devalue the pick by lotto protecting it. We're not going to the lotto with toews augmenting our forward core.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #3686
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't subscribe to the notion that the Flames get by Dallas with a different goalie. Pick the evidence that suits you, but as an example the high danger chances for and against in that series were 53-37 in favor of Dallas. Corsi, actual shots, expected goals... all heavily favored Dallas.

I'm not sure you can bank on the idea that a goalie steals you the series.

The Flames can play differently with a better goalie but I believe there is still ample evidence that the players in front of the goalie aren't yet good enough to win against good teams.
Don’t forget our best player and future captain was hurt in game 1 of the series
Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #3687
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Don’t forget our best player and future captain was hurt in game 1 of the series

True but the same thing could be said about the jets in the qualifying round. They lost 2 pretty big players during that series.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #3688
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
True but the same thing could be said about the jets in the qualifying round. They lost 2 pretty big players during that series.

That is true but when comparing the results of both series

Flames lost 3 one goal games and then had their goalies blow up to lose by 4 in game 6.

Flames beat the Jets by 4 twice and 3 the other time.

Not exact science but I think Tkachuk tips the scales more in one goal games than Laine and Schiefele do in 4 goal blowouts.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #3689
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is true but when comparing the results of both series

Flames lost 3 one goal games and then had their goalies blow up to lose by 4 in game 6.

Flames beat the Jets by 4 twice and 3 the other time.

Not exact science but I think Tkachuk tips the scales more in one goal games than Laine and Schiefele do in 4 goal blowouts.
I still think the Jets were losing that series in 5 at best given the defense they had but losing your first line center 5 minutes into the series, one of your top goal scorers in the 3rd and what little 4th line depth you had with Appleton sunk them.

The Flames with Tkachuk bring that intangible few teams have, an absolute pest that makes you pay when you take stupid penalties against him or retaliate. As much as I hate Marchand, Tkachuk and Perry they have a craft few players do and that their fans love to have on their team.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #3690
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames beat Dallas with Markstrom in net. A few other points I would make about this roster:

1) Lindholm was completely flat on the top line. I know there were personal issues. But I think the fact that he was a primary PKer didn't help either. Having Nordstrom will relieve some of that responsibility from Lindholm, which hopefully helps him offensively.

2) I agree that Valimaki will help the D core. I also think Andersson and Hanifin, being a year older, will only be better. Tanev adds a pure defensive aspect that we should have, but didn't, get from Hamonic. All together, I believe the Flames D will be better than last year.

3) Then factor in better goaltending, and that will add confidence to the D as well.

4) I really like the addition of Nordstrom, a fast, gritty and experienced forward, to the 4th line - exactly what it needed. Having Nordstrom with Ryan together really solidifies that line. And I think a guy likes Phillips could be a great addition to it. They wouldn't be very big, but man, they would be hard working. (and you could rotate Robinson in when you need size).

Yes, the top line has not been addressed, but I think they had a bad year and will rebound somewhat.

But more directly to the points above, I think the Flames' goals against will be improved this year. They were tied for 15th last year, exactly middle of the pack. I expect they will move into the top 10 this year. And that alone is enough to ensure that they will be top 2 in the Pacific this year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #3691
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Well made points.
Look I've been probably the conductor on the trade Johnny train (toot toot) but if the deal isn't there the deal isn't there. What seemed like the most probably and best moment to trade Johnny (this off-season) probably changed dramatically with COVID.

But by most statistical analysis - goaltending has not been a strength of this team for the last couple of seasons. And even though it was in the playoffs for most games, it wasn't in the elimination game.

So it's a real x-factor.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #3692
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
Just need to find a good buddy of Toews and sign as 12-13th player with a league minimum salary
Didn't he win the Cup with Nordstrom? If so, that's checked off already!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #3693
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^Well made points.
Look I've been probably the conductor on the trade Johnny train (toot toot) but if the deal isn't there the deal isn't there. What seemed like the most probably and best moment to trade Johnny (this off-season) probably changed dramatically with COVID.

But by most statistical analysis - goaltending has not been a strength of this team for the last couple of seasons. And even though it was in the playoffs for most games, it wasn't in the elimination game.

So it's a real x-factor.
I was also hard on the train, if you were conducting I shoveled the coal.

After seeing how things have shaken out and looking ahead to next season, I have reversed course. I would rather see them make a big splash using Hanifin+ Ryan to grab another top 6 forward and really try to shoot for it over the next 2 seasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #3694
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No doubt and him playing would have an impact.

I just don’t think we can gloss over over the fact that Flames skaters have been consistently outplayed in the playoffs no matter the opponent.

Personally i’m not keen on assuming different results without better evidence to back it up. That’s building a team based on hope vs. reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #3695
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If Toews is truly available you do your absolute best to make it happen.

He shuts down McDavid. That’s already a big enough plus on its own.
McDavid had 9 points in 4 games against the Hawks in the play ins..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #3696
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
No doubt and him playing would have an impact.

I just don’t think we can gloss over over the fact that Flames skaters have been consistently outplayed in the playoffs no matter the opponent.

Personally i’m not keen on assuming different results without better evidence to back it up. That’s building a team based on hope vs. reality.
No it's not, that's how it works: you make changes, then you see if they helped. Your point makes no sense.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #3697
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
McDavid had 9 points in 4 games against the Hawks in the play ins..
He shut down McDavid's legendary defensive ability.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #3698
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes, the top line has not been addressed, but I think they had a bad year and will rebound somewhat.

It wasn't just a tough year. If you look at anything past mid December 2018, you saw the regression start and, BT decided to pick up Oscar Fantenberg. Now let's move on to the mess of a 2019-2020 season. The regression continued with the first line, and BT once again went out and picked up another pair of defenseman in, Erick Gustafsson and Brandon Davidson. Maybe the top line hit a peak, and have come back down to earth?

I agree with all the other points that you make.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #3699
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
1) Lindholm was completely flat on the top line. I know there were personal issues. But I think the fact that he was a primary PKer didn't help either. Having Nordstrom will relieve some of that responsibility from Lindholm, which hopefully helps him offensively.
Totally agree with this.

Look at the tape of Game 4. 12 seconds left. What was Lindholm doing there??? He lost us that game with an embarrassing defensive play (and perhaps, therefore, the series).
Old 10-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #3700
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Its a small ask but I'd rather see them try and address the 6D so that Kylington isn't on that pair with Valimaki. I'd rather a capable veteran playing with Kylington as the 7D with spot duty
Closed Thread