Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #2661
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
What about Andreas Athanasiou?

He's young, listed as a Center, but seems to be better on wing, prior to the Greasers, he put up some decent numbers, however, I don't have any idea what line he was on. 4th line here? Maybe some spot PP2 time?

I know some have already said no way, but I'm curious as to why.
He's about as one dimensional as they come. Even in that one dimension (offense) he's one dimensional. Doesn't use his line mates at all, just skates really fast in a straight line.

Hard pass on AA
Old 10-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #2662
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Mackey

Wasn't he pretty much the top UFA college defenseman?

I could see him pushing his way into the mix rather quickly, kind of how Danny Dekeyser did back in the day. He's 24, he's not small, and he can skate pretty good too.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #2663
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
He's about as one dimensional as they come. Even in that one dimension (offense) he's one dimensional. Doesn't use his line mates at all, just skates really fast in a straight line.

Hard pass on AA
At $1M to play with Ryan on the 4th line?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #2664
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'd take AA for a million. The guy is blazing fast and scored 30 once. Still young too. That'd be a bargain.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #2665
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sami Vatanen - Finnish, RHS, experienced

He would be a perfect partner for Valimaki, IMO

Giordano - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Vatanen
Kylington

would make me very happy
Well yeah sure, but unless you can get Vatanen to sign for a million or less the Flames can't afford this luxury.

A more likely "Finnish mentor" target would be Jan Ruuta IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:09 PM   #2666
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would give Athanasiou a one-year show me contract. He has rightly been labeled one-dimensional, and he needs to battle more (particularly in the defensive zone), but he has some elite talents-his hands, and his skating.He's one of the fastest players in the NHL,with a 6'2" frame. The Oilers picked him up because he's one of the few players in the league that can keep up to McDavid. Granted, the experiment failed, but AA has more pts/60 in the last 2 years than Debrusk, Toffoli,or Tyler Johnson.

I think the "show me" deal, along with some coaching and the presence of real leaders in the locker room might make a difference, but he has a ways to go to shake the habits he got from playing in Detroit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #2667
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Offersheet Reinhart! We don't need no stinking picks!
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #2668
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While i know we need to address the defence right now, a guy I think may be a nice fit in our forward group that could come at a reasonable price is Connor Sheary. A RW'er with the capability of putting up points. What's everyone's thoughts ?
Old 10-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #2669
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Eww.

I'd rather offer sheet Cirelli or Barzal.

Of course, we don't have the cap space to offer sheet any one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #2670
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I've accepted that the Flames aren't picking up another big forward, and the more I think about it, it's probably the right choice.

The Flames have limited cap space. Unless the team can get better goaltending and defence, they aren't going anywhere. So basically, the best option is to see if the team is competitive with the new moves. If so, pick up that forward at the deadline.

Hopefully, Valimaki turns out this year, which will make Hanifin expendable. Then you can potentially move him in a 1/1 trade for a top line forward, without having to give up futures.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #2671
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I could see him pushing his way into the mix rather quickly, kind of how Danny Dekeyser did back in the day. He's 24, he's not small, and he can skate pretty good too.
Yup, he was the most sought after college UFA defenseman. I could see them sending him down to marinate for a little while, but from seeing him play live-he has NHL written all over him. Good skating, patience, hockey sense,first pass. I can't see Kylington being on the team forever, as he seems to always be the odd man out with the coaching staff, so I could definitely see him taking Kylington's place.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #2672
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Kylington
Valimaki - Tanev
I really like the look of that. Kylington can learn a lot from Gio about defending and he has the wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #2673
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
or cap compliance
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #2674
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown75 View Post
While i know we need to address the defence right now, a guy I think may be a nice fit in our forward group that could come at a reasonable price is Connor Sheary. A RW'er with the capability of putting up points. What's everyone's thoughts ?
I'm of the mind that we should be getting bigger and harder to play against. Sheary's very inconsistent, and his output doesn't make up for his size IMO.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #2675
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I really like the look of that. Kylington can learn a lot from Gio about defending and he has the wheels.
The problem with having Gio and Kylington together is that Kylington can't handle tough opponent minutes, so if Gio is his partner, Gio isn't handling them either.

That means Hanifin - Andersson have to, which I also think isn't ideal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #2676
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Flip Mangiapane and Gaudreau - especially for playoffs*.

Mangiapane - Monahan - Lindholm

If Ward is going to insist on a heavy forecheck type of game*, Mangiapane has that dog on a bone quality to him that maybe what Monahan and Lindholm need.
Lindholm seems to be a defensive conscious so it may be rare that he is F1 for the top line. Mangiapane is a get there first type of guy and perhaps that 'jam' is what they need.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Gaudreau

When CGY breaks out it almost always goes up the left side. Gaudreau getting the puck and carrying it in seemed to be targetted by opponents ie they waited for him to get puck in nz then kind of swarmed him. If he had to dump it, the line was not great at retrieval.
Backlund can be the guy to carry the puck - leaving Gaudreau to make his magic on the right side once the puck is in the offensive zone.

If the line is going to play forecheck game Backlund and Tkachuk are great at it.
Actually also flip Lindholm and Monahan. Also conscience (oops).
So Mangiapane - Lindholm - Monahan. Perhaps Lindholm and Backlund have the skills to maximize CGY play in the middle of the ice. Bennett was pretty great at all those centre ice duties too (supporting his D down low to lugging it all the way into the ozone). Monahan can still take strong side draws.

Ward said Lindholm was like Bergeron. Re align in a way the maximizes the strengths of players but also freshens up how they play.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #2677
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
It would allow us to go over the cap by Dubinsky's cap hit. Mainly this would only be an option if they are still looking at adding a UFA like Hoffman, Dadonov or Vatanen.

That’s not how it works.

Dubinsky still goes against the cap. You don’t get extra money per se.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #2678
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Yup and by reports he has a very mature and refined game.

I think he'll be in the mix, and will push into the top 6 throughout the season.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #2679
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
It would allow us to go over the cap by Dubinsky's cap hit. Mainly this would only be an option if they are still looking at adding a UFA like Hoffman, Dadonov or Vatanen.
That doesn't create extra cap space. And it would in fact reduce our flexibility
Old 10-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #2680
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That’s not how it works.

Dubinsky still goes against the cap. You don’t get extra money per se.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a simplistic take on it, but as long as we get as close to the cap as possible, then put Dubinsky on LTIR, we can over the cap by his $5.85. Now I could be mistaken on this part but we would have to use that amount in one transaction, I don't think we could do multiple transactions to go over the cap. So if we signed Hoffman to a 1 year $5.5m deal like mentioned in insider trading we could do that.

The problem being that we would have trouble with injury replacements and adding at the deadline would be pretty much out of the question.
Closed Thread