Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #321
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Guys Stamkos isn't signing with the Flames. The Flames can't fit the cap hit and retain their young players and address the goaltending and if he wants to go to a rebuilding team he will go to the Leafs.
He is not signing with TO either
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #322
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
When you score more goals than everyone else in the league consistently, you're not falling off. You're still at the very tippy top of the mountain. Who cares if he scores less than he did when he was 20. He's still the best goal scorer in the league. Lol, slowing down. Everything is a fricking technicality these days around here.
He also used to win the Art Ross occasionally too, but he's only 15th in points right now.

The guy has definitely fallen off from where he once was. Doesn't mean he's not still great.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #323
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
interesting read (Leafs scouting Flames hard) ... thoughts? Other than a goalie what might be of interest?
Link
I've always thought Backlund was a Babcock / Red Wing type of player. Other than that, not sure what other fit there would be. The young core of the Flames is off-limits. it would likely be young players who aren't part of the core: Ferland, Bouma, Granlund, Jooris. For the Flames, I could see them having interest in Kadri, Reimer, Bernier. Flames would like JVR but that price would be too high.

Kadri would be a good supplement or support player to the young forward core. He's still young is very skilled but he likely won't ever reach the upper echelon nor be paid like a top forward, which would work well for the Flames moving forward if you are saving your cap space for Monahan, Gaudreau, and Bennett.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #324
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When you score more goals than everyone else in the league consistently, you're not falling off. You're still at the very tippy top of the mountain. Who cares if he scores less than he did when he was 20. He's still the best goal scorer in the league. Lol, slowing down. Everything is a fricking technicality these days around here.
that doesn't mean he hasn't declined.... nobody is saying he isn't the best goal scorer in the league, but he's not the same player he was 5 years ago.

He's an unquestionable generational talent and 1st ballot hall of famer. I'm not quite sure Stamkos was ever quite there.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #325
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
that doesn't mean he hasn't declined.... nobody is saying he isn't the best goal scorer in the league, but he's not the same player he was 5 years ago.

He's an unquestionable generational talent and 1st ballot hall of famer. I'm not quite sure Stamkos was ever quite there.
He has similar stats to the lock out year few years back. Gonna hit 50G for the third year in a row.

How is this guys slowing down exactly? What are you people on
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #326
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
He has similar stats to the lock out year few years back. Gonna hit 50G for the third year in a row.

He's actually playing defense as well. Who cares about assists. They have Backstrom and Kuznetzoh for those.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #327
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

in the 09/10 season, he scored at a 1.51 points per game pace over 72 games. Amazing numbers.

Since then, his highest point per game season is 12/13 at 1.17 points/game.

This is very simple stuff.

But this all is completely beyond my original point. All I meant with my original post was that Stamkos was a very good player who has declined to become a good player. Ovechkin has gone from being an amazing player to a very good player. The semantics are not important.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-18-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #328
RockOnRoberts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ovechkin has 35 goals in 53 games. If he only scores 45 this season then something has gone horribly wrong. Consider that his point totals are also a reflection of the system he plays in. No more run and gun Ovechkin that does whatever the hell he wants. He's committed to playing a 200ft game and of course his numbers take a hit, but overall you can argue that he's a more complete hockey player now than he ever was.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #329
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Points per game are down league wide. Nobody even scored more than 87 points last year, and very few have managed to maintain their previous pace. To say Ovechkin isn't still elite is outright ridiculous. He will likely finish top five in Hart voting this year, just look how far ahead in the standings the Caps are.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #330
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

man, i come to this thread several times a day, hoping there's some rumour actually being discussed.

but alas, the topic is whether the Great 8 is still Great...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #331
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Points per game are down league wide. Nobody even scored more than 87 points last year, and very few have managed to maintain their previous pace. To say Ovechkin isn't still elite is outright ridiculous. He will likely finish top five in Hart voting this year, just look how far ahead in the standings the Caps are.
league scoring has not dropped by 30% since Ovechkin last broke 100 points.

If you honestly believe 30 year old Ovechkin is as good as 25 year old Ovechkin, then there will be no agreement and reason to argue in a trade rumours thread.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #332
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could argue that Ovi has only been the third best player on his own team this season. Holtby has definitely been better, and you could easily make a case for Kuznetsov.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #333
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
You could argue that Ovi has only been the third best player on his own team this season. Holtby has definitely been better, and you could easily make a case for Kuznetsov.
You can argue that, sure. But the point some of us are making is that he is not really declining. Just because another star emerges doesn't make Ovechkin a lesser player.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #334
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be a huge mistake for the caps to trade Ovi right now, I don't think he fits in with the Flames right now either so I hope they don't try to trade for him.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #335
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
man, i come to this thread several times a day, hoping there's some rumour actually being discussed.

but alas, the topic is whether the Great 8 is still Great...
If you have a few minutes I'd love to be able to come inside, sit down and talk to you about a man I know, Wayne Gretzky as you've probably never heard.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #336
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's ridiculous that there are people who think 2016 Ovi is as good as 2010 Ovi.

The dude has declined. Still great, still a first ballot Hall of Famer. IMO, barely a top 10 forward in the NHL currently, where he used to be unquestionably #1 or 2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #337
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's ridiculous that there are people who think 2016 Ovi is as good as 2010 Ovi.

The dude has declined. Still great, still a first ballot Hall of Famer. IMO, barely a top 10 forward in the NHL currently, where he used to be unquestionably #1 or 2.
That's your opinion. Not fact. The rocket Richard trophies that are stacking up prove otherwise to your opinion of him not being a top ten player in the league.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #338
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Ridiculous huh? The guy has always been one of the top goal scorers and guess what....he is currently leading the NHL in goals. And he will probably match or exceed his goals from 2010. How are we ridiculous again?
Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #339
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's your opinion. Not fact. The rocket Richard trophies that are stacking up prove otherwise to your opinion of him not being a top ten player in the league.
Quote:
Ridiculous huh? The guy has always been one of the top goal scorers and guess what....he is currently leading the NHL in goals. And he will probably match or exceed his goals from 2010. How are we ridiculous again?
Yes, we've all agreed he's still the best goal scorer. It's the rest of his game that isn't the same as ~2008-10 Ovi. Keep ignoring the fact that he used to get 110+ points and he's on pace for 70 this year.

And don't say it's because scoring is down, because it's not down THAT much. He would still be getting at least ~90 if that was the only reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #340
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a little disappointed when this thread became the Stamkos thread, but now that it's a dedicated Ovi thread, I'm back on board. Ovi plays defense now. You win with 2016 Ovi, but not with 2010 Ovi.

I'm also going to go and start a dedicated thread for these kinds of discussions.