Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A good villain always believes that his end goals are noble and right and that the road to those goals is filled with necessary sacrifices and mayham.

One of the best villain lines came from Loki in the Avengers that went something like "You are liars and killers in the service of liars and killers"

Hero's are usually portrayed as flawed and damaged and conflicted.

Villains usually have a clarity of vision.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

It completley depends on the characters for me. One of the many, many things i love about ATLA is that the villians (Azula in particular) are as likeable as the heroes.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
It completley depends on the characters for me. One of the many, many things i love about ATLA is that the villians (Azula in particular) are as likeable as the heroes.
Azula, from Abel's Tawdry Love Affair. You made me type things into a search engine to figure out what in the world you were talking about. I know that you believe that your actions were just, but you sir are a villain.

Alright, I just looked at my own avatar, and realized that I might be the villain. In that case, I am justified in my journey to bring order to humanity, and all of your 'heroes' can suck a lemon.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 10-24-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: realized I named myself Harry Lime
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In every chick flick I watch, I want the central character continue to hurt and not wind up with their true love.......
Old 10-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #25
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Surprised there's no love for Patrick Bateman. A great example of a horrible character with likeable qualities (though maybe not a guy you cheer for per se).
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
IFor instance, my hands down favorite bad guy was the Joker in the Dark Knight. A big issue I find with many bad guys are they're broken and flawed pieces or just incomplete characters ("Shrouded in mystery"). Joker was a full character and you could relate to him. He was seemingly logical in what he did and it seemed to make sense what he was going for (Not an angry, let's destroy things because I'm angry persona).
Interesting analysis. Pretty much the opposite of what Joker is known for. He really has the least stable/known origin story and is therefore one of the biggest mysteries in the Batman mythology (and evidence by the multiple stories he told about how he got the scars in The Dark Knight). Logical also goes against what he's pretty much known for. He's not illogical per se, but he's not suppose to have a rhyme or reason, he's chaos.

In my opinion, he's one of the few villains who can get away with being a villain just for the sake of it. Don't know if I could say I relate to him either.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Interesting analysis. Pretty much the opposite of what Joker is known for. He really has the least stable/known origin story and is therefore one of the biggest mysteries in the Batman mythology (and evidence by the multiple stories he told about how he got the scars in The Dark Knight). Logical also goes against what he's pretty much known for. He's not illogical per se, but he's not suppose to have a rhyme or reason, he's chaos.

In my opinion, he's one of the few villains who can get away with being a villain just for the sake of it. Don't know if I could say I relate to him either.
I saw him as a character spawned to be a direct mirror of Batman. He is not necessarily the opposite of Batman, but a balance. Similar to Moriarty to Sherlock. If one is ying, the other must be yang There are huge differences, but many similarities as well. His history is irrelevant, only present and future is relevant. His chaos is logical because it is tied to the other character. Joker's sole goal is to mess with Batman. In a sense, there is a symbiosis of both Batman and Joker.

In terms of relating to him, the way I saw him was similar to the idea of Carl Jung's "Shadow" concept. It's hard for me to put it into words. Perhaps my interest is higher due to my interest in sociology. I don't relate to Joker based on what he does, I relate to him based on the philosophical ideas that revolve around him.

Quote:
We must acknowledge the darkness within us but not identify with it. When you don’t acknowledge the Shadow, what happens is that it breaks free, takes on a life of its won and comes back to terrorize you and shatter your “illusory superiority.”

http://www.popmythology.com/the-psyc...-of-the-joker/
Random quotes:
Spoiler!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Part of me has always wished for an origins story for the Dark Knight Joker, because I think it would be fascinating. He does to an extent have a moral code and that moral code is to have no moral code at all.

The scars and his masked appearance tells me that he was someone that was either abused or destroyed in his previous life and put on the clown makeup so that he could hide his own true self from his own original moral center. In other words it gave him permission to become a agent of chaos.

I always through that the Joker wasn't a failed comedian or a devastated mob enforcer. I felt that this Joker was someone that was an academic, a sociology student or a psychology student who saw the world as his own lab and thus wanted to prove a theory about the lowness of humanity. Thus all of the testing.

He's basically a scientist who sees the world as his personal frog or puppy in a lab setting.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I might be alone in this, but I was not cheering for Ferris Bueller. Wanted him to get caught and punished.
I call dibs on Sloane Peterson after Ferris get life in detention.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I recall that when I was a kid, I was always frustrated that the good guys were always winning. I wanted Cobra Commander to conquer the world, I wanted the Decepticons to destroy the Autobots, I wanted the Care Bears to learn the true meaning of hardship and suffering.

I think that's a byproduct however, of toy companies making the baddies appealing and interesting in order to sell toys. It's partly why so many people are attracted to the Patrick Bateman and Walter White characters. The writers manage to make them appealing and relatable and even sympathetic.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Considering that he was Cameron's imaginary friend, I doubt he would be caught.

Cameron had some issues.
That's one of the best fan theories about Ferris Bueller.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...xisted/327276/

Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I recall that when I was a kid, I was always frustrated that the good guys were always winning. I wanted Cobra Commander to conquer the world, I wanted the Decepticons to destroy the Autobots, I wanted the Care Bears to learn the true meaning of hardship and suffering.

I think that's a byproduct however, of toy companies making the baddies appealing and interesting in order to sell toys. It's partly why so many people are attracted to the Patrick Bateman and Walter White characters. The writers manage to make them appealing and relatable and even sympathetic.
If you look at any character design for some reason the villain is always cooler.

I mean lets look at it from the perspective

vs

vs

I rest my case

Tags
bad guys , good guys , jedi , sith