Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://elevenmadisonpark.com

Unbelievable. No words to describe.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once I ordered fries with my Whopper sandwich combo, and when I went to eat them there were two or three onion rings *within* my order of fries. And it was the best day of my life.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #23
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've spent $160 on a Magellan 4 diamond restaurant before in Vegas, which was good but not great, eating mostly lamb shanks. Good but not worth the money. Even at higher end restaurants here, which friends have wanted to check out, I thought were fairly mediocre. Anyway, two meals off the top that come to mind (besides mom's Indian food):

Tony Romas in Banff: Great top sirloin steak. Had it twice out of 5 nights there and should have gone back for the same meal every night. Just done so well, with the tender inside, and the Chicago outside. Loved the Alberta beef.

Random restaurant in Havana Cuba. I wouldn't know what the name of it was, but it was in a ghetto area and it was attached to a ballet school, and also to a brothel apparently, but it was such an amazing meal. We had something similar to pulled pork, but instead it was pulled beef, all over a rice. It was a large plateful which I couldn't finish, cost a pretty penny by Cuban standards (~$35 CDN), were served by some hot hot women dressed in a cowboy theme restaurant, but at the end of the day was such an amazing meal.

Edit: found the restaurant on trip advisor. The pictures tell the story:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...ba.html#photos

Last edited by bluejays; 09-22-2014 at 08:37 PM.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the best meal I ever ate was in this little restaurant in the Jewish Ghetto in Rome. Stracotto di manzo. Unreal. It's a kind of roast beef with a tomato sauce. That probably sounds kind of weird, but I cannot explain just how delicious it is, if you like beef and if you like tomato pasta sauce.

This is not a roast with a jar of Ragu dumped onto it. This is a recipe that would convince a hardcore vegetarian to abandon his or her values.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had some homemade gnocchi in a vodka sauce with sausage at a place called DiMarinita in New York. It blew my mind, never had anything like it. I'm a pasta and simple sauce guy and it was phenomenal.

Close second is a grilled pork dish with braised red cabbage dish that I have had about 10 times in the last 3 years from a little neighbour hood place in Ujpalota in Budapest.

On a side note what's the best dish or meal you have ever had in Calgary?
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #26
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Id have to say one of the most memorable/delicious "meals", that has stayed burned into my brain would have to be dessert at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown Vancouver. The Brubeck Quartet was playing the jazz festival at the hotel and somehow we managed to get a table. Had an unreal Guinness and then these orgasmic white chocolate vanilla cheesecake lollipop desserts. There was only 3 of them, but I've never tasted any dessert like that in my life.

Im not sure if it was just everything combined together, but it is still my most memorable meal.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Merriman's in Maui. If you're ever there, just go.

Hawaiian Ahi Poke
Keahole Lobster, Avocado, Tomato Salad
Macadamia Nut Crusted Monchong.

It was all delicious. But, that being said, I have a feeling had they served me dry toast and water I would have loved it just as much. The dining experience and venue was amazing. Anytime my SO and I run into someone heading to Maui, we tell them GO!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #28
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best meal outside of Calgary would be at Bobby Flay's Mesa in Caesar's Palace. It was my first time ever trying duck, and I'm not sure I'll ever eat such a perfect duck breast again. It had this amazing carrot habanero glaze on top and I got it with some chile rellanos on the side that blew me away.

Best meal in Calgary, would probably be Vintage Chophouse. I'm a beef guy through and through and that 20 oz ribeye I had that night was one of the best steaks I've ever had. Combine that with the beef tartare, good game!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Vintage Chophouse.
Absolutely love Vintage.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't think I can pin down any one meal. Here are a few utterly random ones on the top of my head:

- The fish sandwich at Cool Cat in Maui.
- Best beef bulgogi in Panmunjeon during the DMZ tour.
- Best pizza was a seafood pizza while hopping the Cinque Terre.
- Shanghai Classics in town for awesome peking duck (and they make an amazing ginger beef)
- Yum Yum Chicken in Airdrie for fried chicken (though I heard the fried chicken in Aberdeen Mall in Vancouver is to die for)
- Best sushi was at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo.
- Definitely Vintage for steak and prime rib
- I had a really awesome rack of lamb with mint chutney from Fort Garry's in Winnipeg.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

fotze's mom.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I don't like very much about Vancouver, but Mr. Pidwick's is by far the best fish & chips I've ever eaten. I wish it was possible to get that kind of quality in Calgary, though I'd probably be a lot fatter if that was the case
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #33
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was probably 15 years ago, but I still remember the burritos from a little shack/stand in Sandpoint Idaho.

A-mazing!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #34
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Merriman's in Maui. If you're ever there, just go.

Hawaiian Ahi Poke
Keahole Lobster, Avocado, Tomato Salad
Macadamia Nut Crusted Monchong.

It was all delicious. But, that being said, I have a feeling had they served me dry toast and water I would have loved it just as much. The dining experience and venue was amazing. Anytime my SO and I run into someone heading to Maui, we tell them GO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Don't think I can pin down any one meal. Here are a few utterly random ones on the top of my head:

- The fish sandwich at Cool Cat in Maui.
Yeah, not there in particular. But I have never left Mama's Fish House in Maui any less than incredibly satisfied. If you are ever there, you will get the best seafood you likely have ever had in your life. World Class, and world renowned.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #35
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandric View Post
Id have to say one of the most memorable/delicious "meals", that has stayed burned into my brain would have to be dessert at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown Vancouver. The Brubeck Quartet was playing the jazz festival at the hotel and somehow we managed to get a table. Had an unreal Guinness and then these orgasmic white chocolate vanilla cheesecake lollipop desserts. There was only 3 of them, but I've never tasted any dessert like that in my life.

Im not sure if it was just everything combined together, but it is still my most memorable meal.
That night was already a solid win, anything else was pure gravy
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #36
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The pork chop at Carnevino at the Palazzo in Vegas. This is a Mario Batalli steakhouse, and they also have 11month aged steaks as well, which apparently tastes like blue cheese.

The pork chop blew me away. It was the most tender and moist pork chop I've ever eaten.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #37
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the Maui suggestions, be there in December and some of those places I haven't been to. Merriman's sounds really good.

Been to Mama's Fish House. Had a really good Mai Tai, and food was good. Mind you the atmosphere at sunset there with the open air is probably one of the top ones I have ever been too.

Koiso Sushi is excellent, but make sure to sit at the bar and of course order Omakase. The chef is legit, and he'll make you some insanely good food. Best on Maui.

Lahaina Grill is also very good. Had a Kona crusted lamb, and Macadamia crusted Opakapaka with the wife there. Just excellent.

And of course Ululani Shaved Ice in Lahaina for desert!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #38
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Gordon Ramsay's in London. As cliche as it may be, the beef wellington was easily the best thing I've ever had in my life.
This is what I was going to say, but I had it at Steak in Vegas. It was unbelievable.

Plus they make an amazing Pimm's Cup there too. Great meal.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #39
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In Cabarete on the north coast of the DR, there's a restaurant on the beach that has acquired the name of the Shrimp Nazi. He does up a huge platter of fresh caught jumbo shrimp (head on) that are swimming in a cream, butter and garlic. Amazing dish.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #40
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Best meal outside of Calgary would be at Bobby Flay's Mesa in Caesar's Palace.
Caesars has at least 3 awesome places to eat. The one you mentioned, Spagos (Wolfgang Puck) and Mesa I think it's called? Right in front of the big fountain, spitting distance from Spago's.

Tender in Luxor was also amazing.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote