Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #161
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

St. Louis said something the same. He said when he went back to playing the way he always did, his game took off. He went through his growing pains with the Flames of being given a defensive role. My suspicion is that they don't see that they've picked up their defensive game while returning to what works, but the coaches do see it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #162
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
You could hear this question, it was "what has changed since you started playing so well?".

Look, I'm not saying this is Sven being stubborn, just saying that subjectively, it seems that way
I can see where you would get that from. Personally - in that interview and others i have seen of him; I just see a young man who is quite blunt and a realist. He understands he is not a powerforward or a 3rd liner. What got him drafted in the first round is his offensive ability. Does he need to work on strength and play in all three zones? Yes absolutely. But he cannot change his game in the sense of his confidence and style / mentality. But he can add some other aspects to his game and tamper with things like responsibility and philosophy without "changing his game" per say. I think he is a smart and determined kid and I'm not worried about him being a success with the Flames because he seems to have a good attitude and really wants to be a pro in the NHL. That and Troy G Ward seems to be great at working with youngsters and building their confidence.

Keep it up Sven!
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 AM   #163
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, he sounds a lot like Backlund earlier in the year, where he was so focused on playing a more defensively-responsible game that it hurt his offensive game. It was only after he talked to his coach from Sweden who told him to relax and play his game that he was able to find the right mix for the NHL.

I hope this means that Sven will figure that out quicker than Backlund did.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #164
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Hopefully... but Backlund had developed a top notch defensive game in the meantime.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #165
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The telling moment for Sven will be development and main camps this summer.

He showed up in shape, but he didn't have the intensity. I think that was what put the bad taste in the coaches mouth and it was the biggest sign of an attitude issue.

If he comes out hard in camp all is good. I don't think anyone wants him to change his game. They want consistent effort and intensity. If he is hungry again than he will make it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #166
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
A tidbit I found interesting was (paraphrasing)

I'm not gonna change my game. It's what gave me success before and it always will.

Sounds to me like he's adamant about his style
Yes it's true he's not going to change his game BUT he didn't mention he is adding something to his game ie: more aware defensively. He doesn't have to change his game from offensive minded to a defensive minded. All he has to do is add something to it and I think that's what he's been doing lately.

Last edited by OzSome; 04-06-2014 at 10:52 AM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #167
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the way this season went, I want to see Baertschi stay in Abby until he is over-ripe. If he comes up again before he is ready and shows the same short-comings, it could end his relationship with this organization.

They need to 'Nyquist' him now and not bring him back up until he is definitely ready.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #168
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone comment on how he had been doing defensively / without the puck?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #169
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortio had a pretty bad game, minus the unbelievable save in the second period. That goal from the impossible goal-line angle was bad and so was the shot he flubbed with his glove.

He should be pardoned though, especially after stopping 45 shots the previous night. Good thing he doesn't have games like that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Can anyone comment on how he had been doing defensively / without the puck?
He's adequate. Last night was one of the better games I've seen from him defensively. He hustled his ass off to backcheck every chance he got - even created a couple of takeaways.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #170
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
He's adequate. Last night was one of the better games I've seen from him defensively. He hustled his ass off to backcheck every chance he got - even created a couple of takeaways.
I mentioned it before but his blocked shot just after Rockford drew within one was big and showed a change in his mentality IMO, in the past he would have just tried to use his stick to break up the play, this time he was willing to sacrifice his body.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post: