Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #521
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

I'd also say it's really hard to give this show anything higher than a B+. Far too much wasted potential, show never seemed to have a clear vision outside season 1 and got a little too loose in the storytelling after Jimmy was killed. Lots of great characters, not enough great stories.
Nailed it, these are my feelings as well. The show was often good, but only sometimes great. There was enough quality in the characters to keep coming back to it but there was a lot of missed potential. The finale was kind of the same way..not bad, but not amazing. Its not going to leave a lasting impression on me. Overall a good show with some outstanding acting at times, but certainly doesn't rank with the best HBO has had to offer IMO.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #522
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still have 4 episodes to go but I'm really glad the producers kept it at 5 seasons instead of going for 6.

The Jillian story lines went stale this season and Margaret's went stale 2 seasons ago. Van Alden was grossly under-used and the show never showcased his broke bad moment which was a huge miss to me. The ending to Van Alden is very underwhelming to me. Together with Harris, they are the two most fascinating characters of the show. And that thing between Van Alden's wife and Eli's confusing and improbable as hell.

Dr. Narciss's motivation was confusing and not convincing. Wraping this up and make this show the rise and fall of Nucky was the one good thing that salvaged this show. That and a short 8 episode season were wise choices from the producers.

Last edited by darklord700; 10-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
al capone , martin scorsese , nucky thompson , steve buscemi , terence winter