Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #21
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Ceramic knives are my favorite, cuts better than anything else I've ever owned.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm saving up my stamps at Safeway for those fancy knives. Zwiller, I think?
I don't shop at Safeway often and have 14 stamps with your name on them if you're ever in the NW and want to pick them up.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know where to get a leather strop here in Calgary? I know I can get them online, but I'd prefer to hold and handle one before buying.

The piece I'm using now's time is up.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #24
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Anyone know where to get a leather strop here in Calgary? I know I can get them online, but I'd prefer to hold and handle one before buying.

Kent in Inglewood
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #25
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Find knives with good balance, usually German ones are the best.
Agree with the first part of your comment. Balance is a great factor when looking for knives, and speaking from a professional stand point, being a Chef and using knives on a daily basis, Japanese knives are much better in both balance and overall performance. The steel is much stronger and depending on specific knives, much lighter than the typical German steel, which is heavier and looses an edge much quicker.

To the original poster: if you have the money to spend on good Japanese knives from knifewear, I would highly recommend it, specially if you will continue to bring them in to have them sharpened at knifewear. My advice would be that a) for the love of God stop using your granite top as a cutting board...horrible for keeping an edge on your knife...and b) really consider what you're gonna be using your knives for the most before spending that kind of money.

For all the apprentices that have taught throughout the years my advice has always been to learn how to use a knife properly before spending that kind of money on an expensive knife. Great knives require a lot of care and skill to use. Keep in mind that you should have a knife for your typical "offroading" type of use like chopping herbs, and a good Japanese blade for your more skilled cuts. You wouldn't take your ferrari "offroading" right?

And finally, if you're going to make the commitment to purchase a knife like this, please, make the commitment to always have it sharpened properly, and that is by stone. Never for the love of dear baby Jesus have one of these blades sharpened by a machine, it will ruin the overall integrity of your edge. Knifewear offers sharpening classes, as well as a sharpening service.

I mentioned earlier to consider what the knife would be used for mostly...cutting vegetables, meat, fish? Knives are designed for specific purposes, but if you're getting this for some typical uses...cutting vegetables, (boneless) meats, I would suggest getting a 180mm Santoku. This blade is designed a little more like a "Chef" knife meaning that it can be used in a more varied way.
The Haruyuki Tsuchime line they have at Knifewear offer great value in design, balance, quality and price.
http://shop.knifewear.com/japanese-c...uyuki-tsuchime
Go into knifewear, the staff is great and will let you sample using the knive's to see what feels good in your hand. Ultimately, from someone who uses a variety of knives on a daily basis, the most important factor to consider is how a knife feels in your hand.

I know the post is quite lengthy but I hope the information is usable to you and anyone looking to get themselves into some really great quality knives.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sadora For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #26
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Knifewear.

that was something I failed to mention in my previous post. For those who are seriously considering spending the dough on great Japanese knives, also consider buying the tools to properly maintain the overall honing of your knife...like a ceramic honing rod and a leather strop.
The Following User Says Thank You to sadora For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #27
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Saw this a while ago when was reading something about carbon steel:

http://www.victorinox.com/ca/categor...30/2035&m=add&
Loved the video, and I can say this, after 14 years of using my 12" Victorinox knife, I am still very much happy with how well this knife performs, and how forgivable the steel is...meaning that it is easy enough to get the edge put back on even you fail to properly maintain the knife.