Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Matt DeBlouw (7th rounder, 2012)

I know there is a thread in the main forum about Matt DeBlouw, but thought since he is a prospect, it might be better to create one in here.

I'd love to get some thoughts on Matt DeBlouw, especially if anyone has had the chance to see him play? I'm not sure why he went in the 7th round and why he is said to have a weak-moderate offensive game and am hoping to learn some more about him.

Here's a quick profile of Matt:

- In 2010-11 and 2011-12, Matt played on one of (if not) the worst teams in the USHL; the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
- In his 2010-11 season, he suffered a ruptured spleen that took him out for almost all of the regular season. He returned in the playoffs to lead the Lumberjacks in scoring with 8 points in 6 games and register a +6
- In his 2011-12 season, he was 2nd in team scoring with 34 points in 58 games.
- He performed well at the draft combine, ranking ~50th in North American skaters from Central Scouting.
- So far in his 2012-13 season, he has scored 15 points in 22 games for Michigan State (who are 6-13-3) as a freshman.
- He is described as a defensive forward or a "jack-of-all-trades" type player.
- He is said to have good skating speed.
- He has very good face off statistics.

It sort of feels like he's played on a series of teams that aren't having team success, but I feel like there's a good chance he's a much better player than his draft position suggests.

Last edited by Scoutski; 01-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scoutski For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe the same thread from draft day is still going, it was on the front page yesterday
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was hoping to keep prospect discussion in the prospect forum, I will however, redirect my question to that other thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have any way of judging him except by looking at his stats and they are not bad. Better than some of our draftees in the first year of College but not outstanding either. In four years we may have a player since as you say he excels in other areas. Maybe another Conroy if we're lucky.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

You forgot one point about Deblouw, Scoutski:

His dad passed away from, I think, cancer about a week or two after he was drafted by the Flames. To have the will to battle back from losing a father and still go to college, pursue an education while being one of the team's best players speaks to his character.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
You forgot one point about Deblouw, Scoutski:

His dad passed away from, I think, cancer about a week or two after he was drafted by the Flames. To have the will to battle back from losing a father and still go to college, pursue an education while being one of the team's best players speaks to his character.
Even worse than cancer, it was an accidental electrocution.

Here's a story from the local paper in Lansing, MI yesterday talking about Matt and family coming to grips with the sudden loss: http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...through-hockey
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the quotes in that article is “It isn't easy. It was a shock to everyone, obviously” - poor choice of words?

On a more serious note, he sounds like his mindset is destined for success, I think it'd be hard to ever root against him. I'm going to try see if I can stream any Michigan State games and maybe get a better feel for him
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the end of one of their games earlier this year. One thing that really caught my eye was that it was late in a tie game and the coach had him out for every defensive zone faceoff to end the third and in overtime. From what I remember, he won every one as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
It sort of feels like he's played on a series of teams that aren't having team success, but I feel like there's a good chance he's a much better player than his draft position suggests.
I haven't seen the kid play but there are plenty of guys that put up decent (or even great numbers) in lower leagues (NCAA, CHL, AHL etc.) but that because of the nature of the goals/points aren't likely to translate those totals to the NHL.

Not sure if that is the case here but stats alone likely don't tell the whole story on how he is producing in terms of potential NHL scoring ability.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to Deblouw, for me, it's not about what kind of points he puts up. I'm pretty sure it's clear what type of player Deblouw is at this point. So, it's more about his work away from the puck and in the faceoff dot than the scoresheet.

Excited to see how he improves over the next three years in college.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I haven't seen the kid play but there are plenty of guys that put up decent (or even great numbers) in lower leagues (NCAA, CHL, AHL etc.) but that because of the nature of the goals/points aren't likely to translate those totals to the NHL.

Not sure if that is the case here but stats alone likely don't tell the whole story on how he is producing in terms of potential NHL scoring ability.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that he's going to turn into some top-end scoring machine. He just seems incredibly serviceable without any glaring flaws in his game. I just wanted any feedback on that statement, if it is in fact accurate?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, anyone out there have info on what happened to Matt this season?

I'm assuming an injury, or series of injuries as his games played and stat line rolled right off a table.

2012/13 - 42gp -- 10g - 11a - 21p
2013/14 - 23gp -- 0g - 4a - 4p
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
Scoutski
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So, anyone out there have info on what happened to Matt this season?

I'm assuming an injury, or series of injuries as his games played and stat line rolled right off a table.

2012/13 - 42gp -- 10g - 11a - 21p
2013/14 - 23gp -- 0g - 4a - 4p
I do remember having a look and being a bit confused, unfortunately I think his game may have regressed, I couldn't find anything about an injury though (don't rule it out).

I did find this quote from HF that may have been foreboding for the rest of his season:

(In the month of November) "...Michigan State sophomore Matt DeBlouw [had] one assist. While Harrison’s slow start isn’t all that surprising, DeBlouw’s is. After finishing a terrific freshman campaign last season with 21 points, DeBlouw has just two assists through the first two months of this season. He also spent time in head coach Tom Anastos’s doghouse, resulting in less playing time."

Really though I didn't see too much looking around for his name or on his twitter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I did some searching too and couldn't find anything recent involving any injuries.

Looks like his development may have went off the rails. Too bad if that's the case.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deblouw , matt , michigan , prospect , state