Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #61
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Was looking for my dad and this one seemed like a decent deal:

http://www.toshiba.ca/productdetailp...?id=2147496277

Didn't have the SSD cache though.

Also saw that VivoBook, screen resolution is a bit lower though.

Lenovo is another one to look at, saw a sale that had some good ones a bit ago.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #62
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

See I didn't even notice the screen res on that VivoBook... Looking on the Lenovo site, a lot of the laptops in her price range seem to be 1366x768 so that might be unavoidable.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #63
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you'd be able to find anything that has an optical drive and a sizable SSD without spending 2K+

May have to settle for buying an SSD separately and adding that in to something that's below your max budget. Or saving that money for down the road when the inevitable purge happens in a couple years since something with a 24GB cache/HDD combo is quick enough for the average user.

Edit: Looking around some more, you're probably aware but you're going to have to sacrifice some things on the checklist. Things like both a keypad/optical drive and a FHD screen probably won't happen.

Last edited by Anduril; 03-11-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #64
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

For sure... the screen being 14-15" and "good" battery life are the only must haves. The full sized SSD is likely out of her budget as well.

So basically it seems to boil down to selecting the laptop with the best mix of components for her which I can do well enough... I guess the only other ignorant question I have is if there any brands to avoid these days?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #65
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking to get a new laptop, mainly for gaming. I have been looking at MSI, does anyone have an experience with them? How are they for heat with how thin they are?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #66
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
For sure... the screen being 14-15" and "good" battery life are the only must haves. The full sized SSD is likely out of her budget as well.

So basically it seems to boil down to selecting the laptop with the best mix of components for her which I can do well enough... I guess the only other ignorant question I have is if there any brands to avoid these days?
HP hasn't really done anything to change their infamous reputation for using poor parts/highest rate of failure. Their high end stuff does look pretty attractive but that's besides the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #67
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking to get a new laptop, mainly for MS Office type stuff, maybe some browsing and kids games. Does touch/non-touch make a really big difference on Win8? I haven't been following the Windows space much lately. Any brands I should totally avoid?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #68
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm strongly considering an HP Chromebook 11. My Mac book recently died after five good years. I Don't have a budget much more than $350 at the moment, And I'd rather try something new than get a cheap windows machine that will only make me irritated. Ultimately i'll need to get a proper laptop but there's no point spending a ton of money on one unless it has a retina screen.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #69
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I'm strongly considering an HP Chromebook 11. My Mac book recently died after five good years. I Don't have a budget much more than $350 at the moment, And I'd rather try something new than get a cheap windows machine that will only make me irritated. Ultimately i'll need to get a proper laptop but there's no point spending a ton of money on one unless it has a retina screen.
Depending if you need certain software or can work with Google's services it could work well.

Most places have a 14 day return policy so it's worth a try.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #70
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Depending if you need certain software or can work with Google's services it could work well.

Most places have a 14 day return policy so it's worth a try.
There are a few small things at work that it doesn't jive with. But since none of that is necessary for me to do my job, I can deal. I don't actually get my own desk, so the portability of a Chromebook is ideal. I'm not scared by the 'has to be connected to the internet' angle since wifi is plentiful and I sit with at least three unused GB of data from bell every month.

I also find myself writing way more with Google Drive; people have said it's limited software, but from my experience so far, it's just a light, distraction-free gem of an app.

The biggest pluses about this HP that I've seen so far are these

1. Proper screen. Especially compared to the Samsung. Not a fan of matte screens.

2. Proper keyboard. Can't stand it when manufacturers eff with the shift key.

3. Cool. Physically. The thing doesn't have fans, but because it's got tablet hardware, it rarely even gets above warm.

It could be fun. See how it goes I guess.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #71
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm sitting at home with my new Chromebook. Typing feels good so far, it's super light, and it looks interesting. Feels like a very solid device; much the same way Google develops the Nexus devices, this feels like something Google told HP to build, rather than HP deciding 'oh we're going to do Chromebooks!'.

I do have 30 days to return the thing, but at the moment the only thing that's irritating is the trackpad; it's a little sticky, but I'm sure I'll be able to overcome that.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #72
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I do have 30 days to return the thing, but at the moment the only thing that's irritating is the trackpad; it's a little sticky, but I'm sure I'll be able to overcome that.
Where did you buy it from for the 30 return policy? Just curious because off the top off my head, pretty much everybody is 14 days.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #73
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did you buy it from for the 30 return policy? Just curious because off the top off my head, pretty much everybody is 14 days.
Best Buy; made a point to ask at checkout, and I was told 30 days.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #74
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/ret...es/hc1075.aspx
Laptops - 14 days

Might be a case of an employee not knowing policy exactly. Don't want you to run into a case where you're arguing what you were told if it does turn out that you didn't want to go with the Chrome book down the road. Sounds like you like it so far though.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #75
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Check your receipt, 30 day only applies to some things, this says 14 days.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/ret...cy/hc1075.aspx

You could get into a "the cashier drone told me 30 days so it's 30 days" argument, but those rarely go well.

EDIT: Too slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #76
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/ret...es/hc1075.aspx
Laptops - 14 days

Might be a case of an employee not knowing policy exactly. Don't want you to run into a case where you're arguing what you were told if it does turn out that you didn't want to go with the Chrome book down the road. Sounds like you like it so far though.
I'll go by the corporate letterhead over a pleasant though probably underinformed cashier any day of the week; thanks gents.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #77
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I am looking at the underpowered 8" full windows tablets. My mom just got one and it looks to be what I am looking for as a device for surfing internet, running office apps and sharing my OneNote file with my desktop at work. Essentially use this device as a protable computer for meetings and site trips for work and a internet device at home. Anyone have any thoughts on these things.

They all appear more or less the same in terms of resolution, storage and chips. here is a Link to the Dell Venue 8 Pro http://www.dell.com/ca/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd
But Lenovo, ASUS and Toshiba all make a similar product.

Review sites give them reasonably favorable reviews for what I would use it for.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #78
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this thread. Looking for a new Windows based laptop.

This is one of the contenders - Lenovo Yoga 2 to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10273086.aspx

Thoughts/other suggestions? THanks
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #79
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can give a budget range and specific features you're looking for, that would help.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #80
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you can give a budget range and specific features you're looking for, that would help.
~$1000 bucks (less would be great of course)

- ICore5 Haswell
- screen size 11"-14"
- touch screen/convertible ok, but not necessity
- reliable!!!
- Windows based