Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1241
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ahh that's great!. Hope that takes some heat off of Deerfoot. Good to hear.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #1242
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am still finding it hard to believe that it will all be open. 114th has curbs poured and they are just starting on working of laying down the road beds and it looks like they are twining 114th to meet up with 52nd. The deerfoot/ 22x interchange is nowhere close to being done. They will not come out publicly until Oct.1 saying that they are not done because as soon as they do that the penalties start adding up.

Sure they could open stony down to 22x with construction zones and lots of work going on but that will slow down construction and be a major headache for trying to use that section of road. Which is exactly why they will do it because it is just a bad idea.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #1243
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

the N/S section shouldn't have too much for construction zones on it, it looks done enough. Perhaps landscaping will require the speed limit to be 80 for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403
114th has curbs poured and they are just starting on working of laying down the road beds and it looks like they are twining 114th to meet up with 52nd.
That work is being done by the city of Calgary, not part of the SE Ring road.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #1244
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I took Stony on my way to the mountains Monday.. they have construction on a large portion of the NW that has many signs stating speed limit reduced, fines double. I was doing about 8 over the speed limit in the slow lane with lots of people just riding my ass. Probably thinking DUMB SASKATCHEWAN HICK!!

This one feller was particularly ragey, he then proceeded to gun his truck around me and right by a cop doing a good 30-40 over the posted speed limit. Enjoy that ticket buddy.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #1245
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no construction expert, but I have no idea how they expect to open the SE leg is going to be ready in 2 weeks. Place is still a disaster
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #1246
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
Sure they could open stony down to 22x with construction zones and lots of work going on but that will slow down construction and be a major headache for trying to use that section of road. Which is exactly why they will do it because it is just a bad idea.
Not really. Have you seen the insane backups on 52 St, 84 St, 100 St, Peigan? There's simply nowhere to go. They need to open whatever they have, ASAP... Stoney as a construction zone can handle all the cars (and tons of truck traffic) better than the crazy situation out on 100 St at the moment.

It's not ideal, but it's the FAR lesser of two evils. In other words, exactly what I said yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
On Oct 1, the most ruthless congestion will shift from the 52 St/Peigan/100 St area down to the Auburn Bay/Cranston/Deerfoot/22X area... a trade-off I'm more than willing to accept as there's more capacity down there even with the interchanges half done.

Yeah they're probably paying penalties, and for anyone saying such and such won't be ready... you're right; but 22X/Deerfoot and McKenzie/Cranston don't need to be fully ready for the main route to open.

Last edited by Acey; 09-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #1247
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the actual press release say completed or opened? I always thought they were just opening it with the understanding they are still doing work.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #1248
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're vague, but I've driven it enough times to have a pretty good idea of the timeline and what could possibly be ready.

CBC
Quote:
after three years of construction, the provincial government says the southeast ring road will open to traffic on oct. 1."
CTV
Quote:
ring road traffic currently extends from the trans-canada highway in the northwest to peigan trail in the city’s southeast. As of october 1, stoney trail will extend its southeast reach to include a section of highway 22x.
The only construction hurdle remaining for the project is the deerfoot-highway22x intersection where seven interchanges are being built. A dry month of august has helped the construction effort.
“that's the last big piece of the project that has to be completed,” says alberta transportation’s gary lamb. “there's still a fair bit of work to be done. There's 26 days left until the opening of the project, and we've seen their schedule, and if things work well and they get done what they say they're going to get done in those days, the project will open as we expect.”
Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #1249
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

nm
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1250
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the "SE Ring Road" was the section from 17th to 22x - and did not include the major interchanges over Deerfoot.

As many people have stated, the Deerfoot section is still a major construction zone, although they have started to rip up and resurface southbound DF under 22x.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #1251
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The project is everything; from 17 Ave all the way around to just short of Macleod Trail. Also includes maintenance of Deerfoot from 22X down to where it merges with Macleod north of Okotoks.

Hundreds of press releases since it started, and they boast about it at the bottom of every single one:

Quote:
Southeast Stoney Trail is a $769 million P3 project for the construction and the 30-year maintenance of 25 kilometres of six-lane roadway including:
• nine interchanges;
• 27 bridge structures; and
• three flyovers.

The P3 contract also involves the maintenance of 12 kilometres of Deerfoot Trail between Stoney Trail SE (currently Highway 22X) and the Highway 2A junction. The Southeast Stoney Trail opens to motorists this fall.

The Government of Alberta has invested $1.9 billion in Calgary’s ring road...
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #1252
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

If the contract calls for substantial completion by Oct 1, they won't make it. Normally, Substantial completion means that a project can be used for what it was built for. However, not all components will meet that standard. Much of the road will meet that standard.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #1253
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it will be open to traffic on Oct 1st and all interchanges will be somewhat operational. There will still be a bunch of detours and temporary access roads for a few months though. I am no construction expert either, but I believe they are in the home stretch for sure, with just the finishing touches left to go. They aren't setting up forms or pouring concrete anymore...now it's just paving, painting lines, setting up traffic lights, etc. I suppose like any project, the last 2% is the hardest.

The Cranston overpass was still closed at 6:15 this morning, by the way. There are signs all over the place stating it closes today though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #1254
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we're still probably 8 months to a year away from completion of everything over Deerfoot and along 22X. I can't see how they'll get the paving done before it gets too cold.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1255
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's left to pave though? The flyover from WB Stoney to Deerfoot which is maybe half a KM? Mostly just on/off ramps which they can do in a few hours, no?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #1256
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the ramps that aren't constructed yet, plus the sections of existing roadway that have construction damage, random lines everywhere, or are pretty beat up. I should have mentioned that I think it's the ramp construction that will cause the delays, there is still a lot of material to move to get those built.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #1257
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I drive 22X every day, and from what I can tell SB Stony will be open down to the intersection on Stony/22X pretty soon here (Oct 1).

No way is the interchange on Stony/Deerfoot going to be open anytime soon, it's about half done from what I can tell.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #1258
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:
Default Ring Road To Nowhere

They can pave in cold weather if they really wanted to. They'd just need to redo it in the spring. I remember watching the McKnight/36th intersection detour being paved at -15 just when construction was starting at the interchange there.

Also, it's Stoney, not Stony...unless you live in Edmonton. Thanks, Stony Plain Road.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #1259
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Paving in cold weather isn't the problem, since asphalt is hot when it's placed. The problem is that you can't compact frozen soil properly.

If you are forced to pave when the soil isn't packed properly, you will have to redo the pavement.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #1260
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
What's left to pave though? The flyover from WB Stoney to Deerfoot which is maybe half a KM? Mostly just on/off ramps which they can do in a few hours, no?
The bridges aren't done, grading isn't done. They're weeks from being ready to pave.