Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am loving having heat, I've been working on a project all weekend. The sprints from the house to the garage aren't so nice though, I've been back and forth constantly! I need a heated tunnel. If you get a Mr Heater from Princess Auto it comes with a low temp thermostat, though it isn't fancy. The heater is great.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #522
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put in radiant heat (gas fired). The garage is 50 feet long, so the pipe and shroud are about 40 feet long (I left if 5 feet short on either end). Anyway, the heater is 100,000 BTU and works just great. I keep my garage warmer (about 15 deg C), as I have my treadmill and exercise equipment in it, and I'm using it all the time. I would highly recommend this type of system.

I agree with Fuzz though, the sprint from the garage to the house isn't great in this type of weather especially after you have been working out for an hour and you are soaked with sweat.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 02-07-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #523
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Heating my garage was a game changer for me.

I put it in myself. Hardest parts was hoisting it up to the ceiling. I had a stubbed out line already running to the garage. So I just had a gas guy come hook it up for me. Though whoever put the line in the ground wasn't really thinking because it had to be tapped off the house line quite a ways down the line. I think its always best to tap right off the meter. There's some wasted water columns in there.

Availability of parts it a big thing. These furnaces are pretty simple. Just a couple weeks ago the control board on mine fried. Literally. One corner of it was charred black and melted through. Was a bit jarring. But I ordered a new one and after receiving it, I was up and running again in a couple hours.

Tl;dr: Heat your garage, its amazing. But try not to burn it down.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #524
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I re-did my back/side yard a couple of years back and didn't have the foresight (or budget) to run the gas lines back then. I hate the idea of digging it back up even if it is only a trench. And unfortunately our gas meter is in an area that has nothing but concrete pads down everywhere around it. Sounds like it may be a bit of a job to go with gas.

I've considered upgrading the electrical to accommodate a big enough electric heater and I'm feeling this will be what I eventually have to do. My father in law has a heated garage and it's such a pleasure to visit his shop. So jealous...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #525
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
And unfortunately our gas meter is in an area that has nothing but concrete pads down everywhere around it.
Poured concrete or pre formed slabs? If it's the latter, it's easier to lift em up and replace than you think.

I think I calculated the payback on gas vs heat at 3-4 years.... electric heat is woefully inefficient (what Greta won't tell you...)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #526
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Poured concrete or pre formed slabs? If it's the latter, it's easier to lift em up and replace than you think.

I think I calculated the payback on gas vs heat at 3-4 years.... electric heat is woefully inefficient (what Greta won't tell you...)
Very true on the electric heat. I have two baseboard heaters in my garage that are about 12 to 16 feet each. The first winter when we moved in the January was ridiculously cold. There was about three weeks where is was -15 and most of the time it was -20 or colder. I had cranked the heat and left it on all month at around 15 degrees. My utilitu bill for the month was an eye opening $1000. I learned my lesson quickly and now I use the heat much more sparingly.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #527
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I re-did my back/side yard a couple of years back and didn't have the foresight (or budget) to run the gas lines back then. I hate the idea of digging it back up even if it is only a trench. And unfortunately our gas meter is in an area that has nothing but concrete pads down everywhere around it. Sounds like it may be a bit of a job to go with gas.

I've considered upgrading the electrical to accommodate a big enough electric heater and I'm feeling this will be what I eventually have to do. My father in law has a heated garage and it's such a pleasure to visit his shop. So jealous...
If you really want gas and have no other route for the gas line, directional drilling under the concrete pads is possible.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #528
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are some features I should look for in a gas garage heater? Is bigger always better?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #529
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a regular size garage 50 000 btu's is more than enough. Mine is from Princess Auto, it's been great so far. I'm not sure what features it could have. It turns gas into heat and blows it. That's about all I would expect them to do.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #530
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, electric heat is very efficient. It's just not worth it because electricity is so much more expensive than natural gas.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #531
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are some features I should look for in a gas garage heater? Is bigger always better?
You might want to watch out for distance to your cars with if you go with Radiant heat style heaters.... you can cook the paint / plastic trim if you're not careful.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #532
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For a regular size garage 50 000 btu's is more than enough. Mine is from Princess Auto, it's been great so far. I'm not sure what features it could have. It turns gas into heat and blows it. That's about all I would expect them to do.
What model did you get so I can begin my research? I'm getting a gas line, so time to start thinking of these things.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #533
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What model did you get so I can begin my research? I'm getting a gas line, so time to start thinking of these things.
If you're staying there for a long time, I highly recommend the Reznor 45k BTU. I considered getting a princess auto one (if it dies you can just buy a new one and still be less expensive than the name brand heater), but I like the idea of parts availability down the line and the Reznor is super quiet so you don't hear it in the room above my attached garage (maybe doesn't matter as much for detached!)
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/5000...t/PA0008944951

It looks like they changed the branding, but the manual link still shows it's a Mr Heater, so just a label change. It was on sale for $100 off when I got it.

I used this vent kit:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-in...t/PA0008945180

If you go sideways, you need this, which is hella expensive, for some reason I can't really figure out.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-in...t/PA0008945198

EDIT: Ah, it's because side venting requires stainless vents.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-08-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #535
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
electric heat is woefully inefficient (what Greta won't tell you...)
Electric heat is 100% efficient....
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #536
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.princessauto.com/en/5000...t/PA0008944951

It looks like they changed the branding, but the manual link still shows it's a Mr Heater, so just a label change. It was on sale for $100 off when I got it.

I used this vent kit:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-in...t/PA0008945180

If you go sideways, you need this, which is hella expensive, for some reason I can't really figure out.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-in...t/PA0008945198

EDIT: Ah, it's because side venting requires stainless vents.
Yeah, you can buy the stainless venting cheaper at a place like Ecco or Sinclair but it's still pretty pricy stuff.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #537
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so after about 15 years of having unpainted drywall in my garage, I decided this weekend that sometime over the next few weeks I am going to paint the inside of my garage. I am thinking a medium grey tone with either black or red trim

some parts of this job will be easy, while others will make me cry, and there will be some spots I can't get into.

I hope I don't regret taking on this task; however, months of watching guys reno their garage on Youtube have made me want to do this.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #538
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so after about 15 years of having unpainted drywall in my garage, I decided this weekend that sometime over the next few weeks I am going to paint the inside of my garage. I am thinking a medium grey tone with either black or red trim

some parts of this job will be easy, while others will make me cry, and there will be some spots I can't get into.

I hope I don't regret taking on this task; however, months of watching guys reno their garage on Youtube have made me want to do this.
wrong thread

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=183296

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #539
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Painting makes such a huge difference, particularly if your walls are old and yellow. Was the mudding and taping done well, or is it a clumpy disaster?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #540
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suggest going as light as you can to help brighten up the workspace and feeling. Most of my walls are covered in white slatwall, but I did a light grey where it is drywall and looks great. Same thing with a white ceiling, real gamechanger from yellowed out unpainted drywall. Reflects a lot more light and is a huge improvement for like $50 in paint.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####