Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #801
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think there are hardcore diminishing returns on our extra luxuries, though. Like, electricity, running water, family vehicle, 1000sf bungalow...those were all giant steps up. Granite counter tops, two sinks in the master bedroom, renovations every 20 years, massaging seats in my car...they don't add a whole lot, but they're expensive.

I believe the bigger issue is most of us don't have the option of working less than a standard five-day week. My family would happily take a 40% pay cut, ditch a car, not fly anywhere for vacation and camp in a tent if it meant we could work three days a week, but those options don't seem to exist. Or even if - as younger people getting started - we could have worked five days a week and then start tapering it back as our financial foundation improves. From what I see out there, it's generally a full-time job or a menial part-time job. There will be exceptions, but there aren't many reasonable/professional employment options for somebody content to make less and work less.

So, you can find yourself in a position of working more and making more money. You can shovel a bunch away for retirement if you want to get out of the workforce ASAP, but while you're in it and working your balls off, you may as well spend any excess on luxuries to make the five-day grind more palatable, which is what it seems like everybody does. Basically, we're trapped in the five-day work week, so we're all trying to make the best of it.

All of that is to say, on an individual level, we don't really have the choice/option to turn productivity gains into more free time.
You can retire at 40-50 or have one spouse stay at home to take advantage of these things. Not as ideal as a 24hr work week but they are options
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #802
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure when or why this started being common in the last few years, but if you stop under an overpass when it's hailing, I hate you.

We had a truck late to a call yesterday because they couldn't clear the traffic on deerfoot hiding from the light hail. Selfish pricks. Luckily it wasn't life-threatening
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #803
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not sure when or why this started being common in the last few years, but if you stop under an overpass when it's hailing, I hate you.

We had a truck late to a call yesterday because they couldn't clear the traffic on deerfoot hiding from the light hail. Selfish pricks. Luckily it wasn't life-threatening
My sister said the same thing last night with the hail in the north, she was just trying to get home but people were just sitting their blocking traffic. I don't get that, if it isn't hailing that badly, why stop? At least get off the road completely if you need to.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #804
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's PTSD from the June 2020 hail event. I still see cars around my NE neighborhood that got badly beaten up from that. The houses have all been repaired, though.

I hate the stopping though, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #805
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
we could work three days a week, but those options don't seem to exist. Or even if - as younger people getting started - we could have worked five days a week and then start tapering it back as our financial foundation improves. From what I see out there, it's generally a full-time job or a menial part-time job. There will be exceptions, but there aren't many reasonable/professional employment options for somebody content to make less and work less.
This is very true. I think for many professional type jobs the "overhead" time spent (meetings, mandatory training, etc) consumes such a high percentage of time that people working part time might not end up doing any actual work.

There are some roles where that is possible (my wife is a professional and works 0.6 FTE) but its rare.

I have my own business (without fixed hours) and try to intentionally work less (which directly results in was earnings) during slow times. Certain times of year I have to work full out (60-70 hours) but I try and catch up on leisure time during slower periods. I'm only working 2 hours today.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #806
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My house got smashed up in the SW last year as well, and I love my vehicles irrationally, but if it's coming down when I'm driving I just take that as the cost of doing business, be happy I have insurance and hope for the best. Can't imagine the thought process behind "well, I'll just stop in an open lane on the busiest road in the city. There we go, that's that solved"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #807
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Mr Coffee as well though, that its probably going to be the global elite (ie people who already live in rich countries) that take more leisure time- especially with significant food price inflation coming.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #808
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My house got smashed up in the SW last year as well, and I love my vehicles irrationally, but if it's coming down when I'm driving I just take that as the cost of doing business, be happy I have insurance and hope for the best. Can't imagine the thought process behind "well, I'll just stop in an open lane on the busiest road in the city. There we go, that's that solved"
Yeah I dont get that either. Thats when the Cops with their F150s with bushbars should be actually using them to get people out of the way.

"Dont mind me....just playing a little 'Vehicular Tetris.'"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 AM   #809
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish the cops would make a priority of ticketing anyone that does that ####.

But sadly, also, if the weather is bad enough for people to be stopping on deerfoot, then CPS is quite busy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #810
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that it’s the reason for people on Deerfoot to stop beneath underpasses, but wasn’t there significant pooling at sections a couple of years ago that were impassable? I have also had a few occasions where my wipers were barely keeping up with rainfall.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #811
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
No way. You don't get paid for how long it takes you to do something. You get paid (and rewarded) for finding ways to do it faster and better. The key is to keep finding new things to do with your ingenuity so you don't automate yourself out of a job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
The question is who decided that material gains outweighed more free time.

Most of European nations have high levels of free time - but this was a path chosen before productivity gains from tech advances.

The vast majority of jobs in NA will not allow you to take more time. Most jobs cannot be part-time or .8 time
Employers may either expand and find more work to fill your day, or reduce the number of employees to match the work volume.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #812
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

People stupid to their own detriment. Like self destruction level of detriment.

"What the heck, you need to charge more for your services. Like 30-40% more because of what happened during the pandemic for price spikes, increase in travel costs/gas etc."

"Oh... I don't know if I can or I should..."

"Dude, look at your financials. You're basically paying people to work for them in an industry that has a major shortage of workers. The amount after COGS isn't even enough to cover additional expenses, let alone pay yourself a wage. You barely got by in previous years using the same rates, but in these coming years, you'll have to adjust your rate. You can't just keep borrowing against your company to make ends meet. You need to increase your rates to match market rates."

"I've been working for so many decades and I'm so old, I don't want to change how I do things."

"You're just increasing your fee to something reasonable. You don't have to make the 30-40% jump right off the bat, but you should probably at least do 20-35% by the end of the month, otherwise, based on these trends due to rising costs of doing business and inflation you're staring down the barrel of bankruptcy within a few years."

*More excuses to change nothing*

/facepalm.

And yeah, this guy isn't working 20 hour weeks. He's easily pulling 30-60 hour weeks regularly.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #813
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does a company charge your credit card without having even given it to them?

In this case, I bought movie tickets for the wrong night because Cineplex's app is garbage, brought them into the theatre for an exchange--which they did-- then a duplicate charge showed up on my credit card statement.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:05 AM   #814
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
How does a company charge your credit card without having even given it to them?

In this case, I bought movie tickets for the wrong night because Cineplex's app is garbage, brought them into the theatre for an exchange--which they did-- then a duplicate charge showed up on my credit card statement.
Maybe they did a refund and rebill. The refund usually takes a few business days to show up.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #815
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn hyper noisy super speedy fly zooming around the bedroom.
Hope it’s gone by bedtime.
How are they so noisy?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 06:44 PM   #816
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Damn hyper noisy super speedy fly zooming around the bedroom.
Hope it’s gone by bedtime.
How are they so noisy?
I take the Walter White approach. Ain’t nobody sleeping til that thing is dead.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #817
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Way over the top, artificially excessively loud types who have to let everyone in a 3 block radius know just how good a time they’re having. Settle down for #### sakes.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #818
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hate those fataing guys.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #819
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Way over the top, artificially excessively loud types who have to let everyone in a 3 block radius know just how good a time they’re having. Settle down for #### sakes.
They increase during Stampede too.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:36 AM   #820
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mice, voles, all the small ground habitating ####ers that get into places just to soil themselves, chew on stuff and die there.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-10-2022 at 12:45 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: