Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #141
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Would it work if I got the 2.1GHz processor with 4GB? Though I guess even if it did suit my needs, it's probably wouldn't be a great use of $1800.
Are you referring to the i5? That's a powerful machine. The 13" with 4gb ram runs cs5 just fine. However the i5 is a significant upgrade over the c2d.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #142
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Are you referring to the i5? That's a powerful machine. The 13" with 4gb ram runs cs5 just fine. However the i5 is a significant upgrade over the c2d.
I meant the 2.13GHz c2d that'd an option on the 13 inch Macbook Air. That seems to be as far as you can upgrade the Air line.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #143
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you sold on the size of the air? For that price the i5 is significantly better.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #144
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Would it work if I got the 2.1GHz processor with 4GB? Though I guess even if it did suit my needs, it's probably wouldn't be a great use of $1800.
I should clarify that I'm talking about using the MacBook Air as my primary machine for pretty heavy web development. I spend anywhere between 8-12hrs per day doing it. At any given time I'll have Apache/MySQL/PHP going, Safari, Firefox, Textmate, Photoshop, SVNX, Adium, Twitterific, and one or more VirtualBox instances with a full Windows XP OS running on it. For that kind of workload the 2.4Ghz C2D MBP just cuts it. I've wished a few times that I'd sprung for the i7.

The MacBook Air is not intended to be a powerful workstation, so as long as you don't expect it to be, you'll probably be very happy with it. Photoshop will not be snappy (possibly even sluggish) but if you're not spending all day in it, is it really a big deal?

$1800 seems really steep for the 2.1Ghz to me. You can always buy a 1.8Ghz out and return it if it isn't going to cut it...

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #145
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

So an (anti-mac) friend suggested I build a hackintosh instead of buying a 27'' iMac...ignoring the issues regarding hardware compatibility, form factor and support I found this interesting:

One of my requirements is that the monitor has to be equal to an iMac or better. That means 2560x1440 resolution, not 1920x1080.

Because I was curious, I checked it out...Dell charges $1300 for a similar display, NCIX.com doesn't have any, and Newegg is $1300 to $1500. For comparison, a person can get a 27'' 1920x1080 for around $300. At the high end of the spectrum, economies of scale really brings the price into line for something like this. Furthermore, other manufacturers will push the sexiness of the 27'' display but might cut corners elsewhere to reach a more desirable price point.

(just something to consider in the "Mac's are expensive" category. I found it interesting. You may or may not)

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #146
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
So an (anti-mac) friend suggested I build a hackintosh instead of buying a 27'' iMac...ignoring the issues regarding hardware compatibility, form factor and support I found this interesting:

One of my requirements is that the monitor has to be equal to an iMac or better. That means 2560x1440 resolution, not 1920x1080.

Because I was curious, I checked it out...Dell charges $1300 for a similar display, NCIX.com doesn't have any, and Newegg is $1300 to $1500. For comparison, a person can get a 27'' 1920x1080 for around $300. At the high end of the spectrum, economies of scale really brings the price into line for something like this. Furthermore, other manufacturers will push the sexiness of the 27'' display but might cut corners elsewhere to reach a more desirable price point.

(just something to consider in the "Mac's are expensive" category. I found it interesting. You may or may not)
I found it to be similar when I was deciding whether to get a 24" iMac a couple of years ago. I had decided I didn't want a huge tower for a computer, and I found that anything in a smaller form factor that matched the specs of the iMac ended up being pretty much the same price once you factored in a similar quality IPS panel monitor that you get with the iMac.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #147
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

does anyone know how difficult it is to add a solid state after the fact?

edit: very.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=979592

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-23-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #148
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So an (anti-mac) friend suggested I build a hackintosh instead of buying a 27'' iMac...
I ran a hackintosh machine for awhile. It's much easier to install than most people think (no harder than installing most linux distros) but ultimately you have to be prepared for all things hackintosh to become something of a hobby in order to get the most out of your machine.

I kinda thought it was fun cause I'm a huge nerd like that but ultimately I went with a Mac and haven't looked back.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #149
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I ran a hackintosh machine for awhile. It's much easier to install than most people think (no harder than installing most linux distros) but ultimately you have to be prepared for all things hackintosh to become something of a hobby in order to get the most out of your machine.

I kinda thought it was fun cause I'm a huge nerd like that but ultimately I went with a Mac and haven't looked back.
Yeah it's just a matter of making sure the parts are compatible (or that you can get drivers for it.) Would be fun, but ultimately I'm not sure it's as big a steal as some say it is (like I said above, if you're going for a 27'' iMac you're down to $1000 to build an i7 rig and no matter what you're not going to get an all in one).

But yeah, I'm that kind of person as well - it would be fun

I just wish that the solid state drive upgrade was more affordable ($700 is a big jump) or that it could be upgraded down the line (but apparently it's very difficult)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #150
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's just a matter of making sure the parts are compatible (or that you can get drivers for it.) Would be fun, but ultimately I'm not sure it's as big a steal as some say it is (like I said above, if you're going for a 27'' iMac you're down to $1000 to build an i7 rig and no matter what you're not going to get an all in one).

But yeah, I'm that kind of person as well - it would be fun

I just wish that the solid state drive upgrade was more affordable ($700 is a big jump) or that it could be upgraded down the line (but apparently it's very difficult)
Seriously? All you need is a bracket and a sata cable as far as I am aware. I am sure the bracket can be bought online somewhere and the cable is trivial.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #151
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post

Anyone ever heard of running a OSX in a virtual machine (on a Windows/Linux platform)? Performance would suck bad, but I have often wondered what it is really like to use a Mac for normal day to day tasks.

edit: never mind, I just realized Virtual Box supported OSX.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote