Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know that I should bother posting this here because the kindle is basically ruled out for the OP. I have the kindle though, and its awesome. The keyboard might not be the best looking, but you can download your books anywhere with it, so it does have a use.

Overall the kindle is awesome, although I don't doubt for a second that the Sony is as good.

As far as epub goes (and I really have no idea here) but how hard is it to move from epub to a PDF? I put large PDF files on the kindle to read al the time...its very simple.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got to say that nothing will replace regular old books for me.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

"I've got to say that nothing will replace regular old cd's for me."
- Me, 2001
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've got to say that nothing will replace regular old books for me.
Ha, that's what my Mom says about letter writing when I try to show her how to use email. Some folks just don't want to get with the times

I've read hundreds of books in my time, the E-Reader is the way to go, I won't open another paper book in my life if I can help it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I agree with a caveat that there are some books that I just want the hardcopy of. Some books are just awesome and/or have things that an e-reader could never offer. I have a martial arts book for example that I really would never buy on an e-reader. I suppose that is kind of like my writing a letter to my grandmother. She has no computer and gets a huge amount of appreciation from a hand written letter. That is a single situation though. Most other people get emails from me.

For most books that I just want to read though, the e-reader is definitely the way to go.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #26
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ I agree with a caveat that there are some books that I just want the hardcopy of. Some books are just awesome and/or have things that an e-reader could never offer. I have a martial arts book for example that I really would never buy on an e-reader. I suppose that is kind of like my writing a letter to my grandmother. She has no computer and gets a huge amount of appreciation from a hand written letter. That is a single situation though. Most other people get emails from me.

For most books that I just want to read though, the e-reader is definitely the way to go.
I hear ya... I'm sure there are music-lovers out there that insist on buying certain CD's, even though they listen to/download mp3's. I'm not one of those people though... I guess I just see it as a waste of money. I've got friends who have blown thousands on CD's & DVD's, and now the whole pile is basically obsolete.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I like to have it both ways. I like to have all my music in digital format, but I also like the tangible appearance of CDs on a shelf. I imagine I'll be the same way with books, when I get the iPad. Digital to read, but still own the books on my shelf.

Mind you, having just typed that out, I see the flaw in my thinking. While it's easy for me to buy my CDs and rip them into digital format (thus, only buying the CD once), I won't be able to do that with books. I would have to actually buy the books twice to satisfy the same wants. Probably not something I am going to do...

So. Which will win out? Will I switch to buying digital books, or continue to buy the physical ones? Dun dun dunnnn...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

For me it boils down to space. I suppose in a lot of ways books or cd's on a shelf almost act like a wall hanging or a decorative addition to a room. In my eyes it's more clutter. I prefer a clean living space free of bookshelves or cd racks.

Some people really enjoy the feel/smell/physicality of a book. Can't blame them, it's just not for me. I'd rather be able to carry around my entire book collection with me on something the size of a file folder.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
As far as epub goes (and I really have no idea here) but how hard is it to move from epub to a PDF? I put large PDF files on the kindle to read al the time...its very simple.
Yup, or you can even convert ePub to the .mobi format that Kindle uses.. not difficult just an extra step and for the general public that's often too much lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yup, or you can even convert ePub to the .mobi format that Kindle uses.. not difficult just an extra step and for the general public that's often too much lol.
In the US kindle will add your PDF to your device for you (you email it to your dedicated account). I'm hoping/expecting that they'll do the same for these files if it becomes an issue.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #31
photon

Exp:

Article on upcoming readers.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mob...y/e-books.html
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #32
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Which format do libraries use?
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #33
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Which format do libraries use?
Books.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Books.
Nah, the Calgary Public Library loans out digital books and audio-books for download. Not sure of the format though.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
Nah, the Calgary Public Library loans out digital books and audio-books for download. Not sure of the format though.
Oh awesome. I had no idea...

My comment was much funnier before I found that out.

Edit: Hmm. Now I'm also wondering about the format. It woud be pretty handy if they were in ePub.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #36
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Generally the CPL loans out ePub
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #37
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
In that case I'd prefer a reader without a honking keyboard that I'll never use. The screens are the same (Unless you get the Touch version of the Sony, the screen has a layer over it for the touch and makes the screen blurry).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I really don't like the qwerty on the bottom of the kindle, plus I'm not as much interested in buying books as I am getting eBooks from the library as a method of loading the books, which makes the Sony Reader the better option. I will probably buy eBooks but aren't there more sources than just the Amazon book store on the kindle? There have to be.

And yeah, I really need to know what the iPad is like as a reader.
I'll be honest, my justification for choosing the Kindle over the Sony was because I knew next to nothing about the Sony reader. But after taking a brief look at it there are things that are an advantage, like google books and the whole ePub format and having more than once source for books. I would hope you could also use the new iBook Store from Apple with the Sony reader. The smaller form factor is nicer too. Although to play devils advocate the keyboard kind of makes sense on the Kindle since it is the primary source of finding books. But I agree that it is ugly to have on the device itself.

So kerms, how does the e-library work? Do they only have a certain amount of digital copies that can be lent out one at a time like a traditional book? Does the book expire on your reader on it's own or when you plug it back into your computer?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
photon

Exp:

Good questions, I'm still trying to decide between an eInk type reader and the iPad myself so not sure how the libraries work.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #39
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I can only go off what the guys on the macbreak weekly podcast said about the ipad. True, it's a mac based podcast so it would be understandable that they would side with the ipad, but 3 things to consider: they do tend to call out apple when they suck, they are massive kindle fans and they got to actually use it.

Their mini reviews were very positive for the ereader aspect of the device. The two that got to use it said they are putting away their kindles as soon as the ipad comes out (this seems big to me as they talk about their kindles all the time).
I've heard them talk about it as well and they make a good case...in theory. But theory is different than practice. From what it sounds like the people in the podcast got to use it for 5-10 minutes. I would like a review from someone who has used it for a week with reading times at over an hour. That is where eye strain is going to be a big problem. Eye strain at 5-10 minutes is not going to be an issue. But I am excited that they are at least making a good case for it as an e-reader. A couple of them seem to be big readers so I will be very interested to hear their review when they get their hands on one for a extended test.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
For me it boils down to space. I suppose in a lot of ways books or cd's on a shelf almost act like a wall hanging or a decorative addition to a room. In my eyes it's more clutter. I prefer a clean living space free of bookshelves or cd racks.

Some people really enjoy the feel/smell/physicality of a book. Can't blame them, it's just not for me. I'd rather be able to carry around my entire book collection with me on something the size of a file folder.
I am the mostly the same. I do not like looking at my CD's and DVD's on my shelves. I would much rather have them organized away in a drawer or cupboard out of sight. I've started ripping all my DVD's onto my computer and I plan to get my Music and DVD's out of sight. I still like the look of my bookshelf full of books though, and I don't have any problems going digital, but I won't be giving away my books...yet.