Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #1001
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got mine booted up and updated. Update was very quick but signing into the PSN is touch and go. Obviously the network is going to be bogged down for a few days.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #1002
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC4 PS4 at 900p for now - 1080p with update shortly after launch. IGN mentioned that literally no one has seen the Xbone version at all yet - seems kinda strange at this stage.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assass...ive_1080p.html

The PlayStation 4 version of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag currently outputs natively at 900p, Ubisoft has revealed, with a future title update set to offer full native 1080p visuals.

In an update on the UbiBlog, Ubisoft communications manager Gary Steinman explained that "players will need to download a title update (available shortly after release) to enjoy the full 1080p native resolution.

"Even without the title update, the game is undeniably stunning on next-gen consoles. Indeed, as Associate Producer Sylvain Trottier suggests, some players might not even be able to tell the difference. That's because the game, as shipped, is being rendered on next-gen at a resolution that's very close to 1080p (900p, if you're curious), and the upscaling process barely adjusts the image."

"If it's running at 720p vs 1080p you're going to notice the difference by far," Trottier explains. "But if it's set at a resolution that's very close, where most of the pixels are already there in internal processing, most people won't see any difference."
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #1003
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Buddy of mine is just setting his up. He picked up an in-store pre-order from Best Buy and said he didn't even really need it as they had units still available to anybody. Arrived about an hour before opening and was 30th in line.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #1004
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm betting the PSN network is gonna be messy tonight/this week!
It crashed already according to IGN. Best bet is to upgrade via USB. When will Sony ever get their network sorted out? One of my biggest gripes with the PS3 was how painfully slow updates were compared to lightning fast Xbox updates.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #1005
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

excited to hear what CP'ers have to say about the game quality difference is on the next gen immediately after release. my big first test will be trying to get my hands on madden on the next-gen consoles to feel just how different it is. that'll definitely determine whether i accelerate my plan to invest in the next gen Xmas 2014.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #1006
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not in any rush to get one, but can someone tell me what retailer is my best option at this point for getting on a waiting list?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #1007
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It crashed already according to IGN. Best bet is to upgrade via USB. When will Sony ever get their network sorted out? One of my biggest gripes with the PS3 was how painfully slow updates were compared to lightning fast Xbox updates.
Oh come on, everyone knew PSN would be touch and go for the first little bit. Just like Xbox Live will be a mess next weekend. It doesn't matter how prepared these companies are, the servers aren't designed to have 100,000+ people jumping on and downloading all at the same time.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #1008
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I am not in any rush to get one, but can someone tell me what retailer is my best option at this point for getting on a waiting list?
I don't think you need to get on a waiting list. These consoles seem to be readily available. I was at Target this morning at the fellow there said they have a fair number of them.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1009
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I don't think you need to get on a waiting list. These consoles seem to be readily available. I was at Target this morning at the fellow there said they have a fair number of them.
wow, no kidding. My plan was to wait it out and let the hype die down, but all the excitement over the last 24 hours has me wanting one now.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #1010
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Anyone get there's from CP yet?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #1011
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine is out for delivery right now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #1012
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
excited to hear what CP'ers have to say about the game quality difference is on the next gen immediately after release. my big first test will be trying to get my hands on madden on the next-gen consoles to feel just how different it is. that'll definitely determine whether i accelerate my plan to invest in the next gen Xmas 2014.
I would hold off on Madden. According to IGN the 360/PS3 version is better as the new versions look better but don't play as well. Check out the review before you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #1013
swo2k1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Anyone get there's from CP yet?

As of 8:14 mine is on the truck for delivery.
swo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1014
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Oh come on, everyone knew PSN would be touch and go for the first little bit. Just like Xbox Live will be a mess next weekend. It doesn't matter how prepared these companies are, the servers aren't designed to have 100,000+ people jumping on and downloading all at the same time.
PSN has always been touch and go and history supports that being hacked. I'm willing to bet Xbox Live will be fine in comparison as really there's never been a history of major issues. Lets be fair here Xbox Live has always been more robust and stable than PSN.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #1015
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably because you have to pay for xbox live (which i'm fine with all things considered).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #1016
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PSN has always been touch and go and history supports that being hacked. I'm willing to bet Xbox Live will be fine in comparison as really there's never been a history of major issues. Lets be fair here Xbox Live has always been more robust and stable than PSN.
You have to take off those green glasses there buddy. You can't just generalize it's always unstable from a few incidents and XBL has had it's fair share of downtime with incidents 2008, 2011 and 2013 some of which MSFT had to apologize with free XBL games. To be fair, if Microsoft went out of their way and told the hacker community that they couldn't be hacked, they'd probably get hacked fairly quickly as well.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #1017
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm willing to bet Xbox Live will be fine in comparison as really there's never been a history of major issues.
Well, the load is certainly going to be a lot less on XBL than on PSN this week/month/rest of year - they're probably going to have what, 1/3 to 1/4 of the number of consoles at pounding at their network during this initial launch phase.

EDIT: Duh! My comment about "this week". LOL - should probably be better said as a "launch week".

Last edited by chemgear; 11-15-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1018
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't be a surprise given the number of consoles pounding PSN. Hope you guys downloaded that day one update to USB as per my post earlier.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/1...ume-of-log-ons

Sony has urged fans to be patient while the US and Canadian PSN experiences issues following the launch of the PlayStation 4.

A number of new PlayStation 4 owners have contacted IGN saying they're encountering the error numbers NW-31453-6 or NP-3500-8, along with text explaining "The network connection has been lost".

If you're struggling to download the patch, you can always get it from PlayStation.com, put it on a USB stick, and use that to update the console.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-15-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #1019
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah not a surprise.

Seems that the update is working fine, but anything either then that is a struggle right now.

Still have the update on a USB as that is the safer option right now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #1020
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You have to take off those green glasses there buddy. You can't just generalize it's always unstable from a few incidents and XBL has had it's fair share of downtime with incidents 2008, 2011 and 2013 some of which MSFT had to apologize with free XBL games. To be fair, if Microsoft went out of their way and told the hacker community that they couldn't be hacked, they'd probably get hacked fairly quickly as well.
No green glasses. It's pretty apparent in this thread that picking on Microsoft is fair game but any slight against Sony results in the same old posters rebutting with excuses. Why even argue that PSN is as stable and robust as Xbox Live when everyone knows that's never been the case?

My PS4 is out for delivery this morning so no green glasses here. Just want this thread is balanced and fair and its tough when certain posters go out of the way to always highlight the negatives about one side while remaining quiet about negatives of the other side.