Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Nintendo Revolution (Old Original Wii thread from 2005)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140623

Interseting direction by the big N.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

If that is true about being significantly underpowered compared to the XBOX360 and PS3 - it is going to get HAMMERED!

Goodbye Sega, now Nintendo. In 7 years you manage to go from owning the videogame industry to sitting on the sidelines. Unbelievable.

What is Revolutionary about that?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great idea. I'll buy one. Nothing beats the fun-factor of the Marios.
________
SweetAngel

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll pass. As much as games like Mario Brothers and Zelda ruled when I was a kid I'm just not into them anymore.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Revolution... Interesting name... especially considering what we're reading from Nintendo. I think.. 'Slight Improvement' may be a more appropriate name for the console.

I'm not optomistic about this thing's chances.

They've made the thing look sleek and "techy". Which doesn't strike me as very smart, considering that their niche market has and will (maybe) continue to be kids, younger gamers. They'd probabley have done better to stick with the colourful, warm look of the GC. At least the thing is very small... which does appeal to the japanese market.

Still, About the only thing that will allow them to compete is if this system's price point is Very, very low.

Software support doesn't look good either. I know if I were making a groundbreaking game I wouldn't be making it for a system with less than a third of the power of one of its compeditors (ps3).

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think everyone is writing this off way too early. As I said elsewhere, Nintendo makes a profit on every unit they sell. Xbox has lost over a billion dollars. Nintendo makes the best games by far. There will be good games on this system, you can bet. And with that understood why should power make a difference? People are focused too much on graphics and glitz and not real fun.

Besides, from what I've read, it looks to be quite revolutionary with wireless networking and gyroscopic controllers. Trust Nintendo to make a great product regardless of what is under the hood.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
photon

Exp:

I like the reverse compatibility as well.. all the way back to the NES lol. I suspect you'll have to buy the old games on their online service however since there's no cartridge slots.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo is kind of a strange company. They bug the hell out of me because they continue to make the same games over and over again. How many mario party's can they possibly make? Untill they start to produce flagship games like Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto (Granted it's available on X-Box now so it isn't really a flagship anymore), or Halo, they will lag.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Faid1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think it has a nice look (far better than the PS2) and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what's revolutionary about it.

Everyone loves to diss Nintendo (even me) but last year they made more profit than Sony and Microsoft.
Faid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

I wonder how much of that profit was from the GC, and how much of it was from their handhelds?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Zelda, Metroid and Paper Mario World 2 for the Gamecube were probably the best games I've played in the past few years. Like that type of game far more than a Halo or a Grand Theft Auto.

I've also mention that their controllers are the best of any of the consoles.

I've owned all 3 systems and the Gamecube is the only one I've kept so far.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Faid1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by photon@May 17 2005, 11:53 AM
I wonder how much of that profit was from the GC, and how much of it was from their handhelds?
Doesn't say

Quote:
In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader, having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998 through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company, earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal 2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy losses from its games division.
http://www.dfcint.com/news/prmar2205.html
Faid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bring_Back_Shantz@May 17 2005, 11:40 AM
Nintendo is kind of a strange company. They bug the hell out of me because they continue to make the same games over and over again. How many mario party's can they possibly make? Untill they start to produce flagship games like Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto (Granted it's available on X-Box now so it isn't really a flagship anymore), or Halo, they will lag.
You seem to be contradicting yourself. First you criticize Nintendo for making flagship Mario games then you congratulate Sony and MS for making flagship games.

Mario is THE flagship franchise. It's great because every incarnation of it is different and fun. GTA has had three identical games. That's great, see my point about the homogenization and dumming down of the gaming industry?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Best Multipler Game Ever Made ... Super Smash Brothers Melee
________
CyberPoison cam

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:10 PM
Mario is THE flagship franchise. It's great because every incarnation of it is different and fun. GTA has had three identical games. That's great, see my point about the homogenization and dumming down of the gaming industry?
But, how many Mario games were the same before they switched it up?

They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now. You say GTA has 3 games now, but Mario had atleast a dozen before they did anyting new, even now they throw him into every possible game.

GTA changed big time from GTA 2 too GTA 3, it was a major shift.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #16
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by kdogg@May 17 2005, 01:44 PM
Best Multipler Game Ever Made ... Super Smash Brothers Melee
I can't remember how many hours I spent with a group of friends in grade 9 playing Goldenye for the Nintendo64.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #17
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by fotze@May 17 2005, 01:49 PM

Mario has just spawned various arms of same ole shinguard series'. There's the racing series (fata those games are infuriating), tennis, tetris crap, side scrolling jump on moving levels funola.
Mario Kart is alot of fun, never played in on the Game Cube.. infact I've never played anything on the Gamecube.

I used to love it on the Super Nintendo and the 64 though, and the Game Boy/advaned or whatever it is. The game boy that came out just before the flip one.. and didn't have its own light so you cant play in the dark.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm+May 17 2005, 12:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrMastodonFarm @ May 17 2005, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:10 PM
But, how many Mario games were the same before they switched it up?

They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now. You say GTA has 3 games now, but Mario had atleast a dozen before they did anyting new, even now they throw him into every possible game.

GTA changed big time from GTA 2 too GTA 3, it was a major shift. [/b][/quote]
GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas are essentially the same game. Not much in the way of originality there.

Mario Bros -> donkey kong like level-less game

Super Mario Bros -> hugely influencial and popular level based game, invented the side scroller

Super Mario 2 -> VERY different from SMB

Super Mario 3 -> VERY different from Mario 2, back to SMB roots but had way more, one of the best games ever

Super Mario World -> complete revision of Mario 3, better graphics, gameplay, levels etc.

Yoshi's Adventure -> meh

Mario 64 -> again first fun and smooth use of of a 3d world on a platform system, one of the best games ever

Mario Sunshine -> refinement of Mario 64 way more levels and thigns to do, much different gameplay

Then incorporate Mario Kart (one of the best games ever) Mario Party (one of the best multiplayer games ever) and you have a very diverse franchise.

To say it is stagnant compared to GTA is just laughable.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Hakan@May 17 2005, 01:54 PM

Super Mario Bros -> hugely influencial and popular level based game, invented the side scroller

Super Mario 2 -> VERY different from SMB

Super Mario 3 -> VERY different from Mario 2, back to SMB roots but had way more, one of the best games ever

Is Haken German for Mario or something?

I really don't care which is less stagnent, go off to the races with that arguement if you wan't. My point was that Mario has had a hell of alot of side scrolling advertures, and updated ones too.

The difference between GTA San Andreas and GTA 3 is pretty big, they've added a HELL of alot of things.. and San Andrea and the first GTA.. well that speaks for itself. If you can claim Mario 3 is way different then Mario 1 and then say the GTA games are the exact same.. well, you're out of your gord.

Mario Bros 2 sucked by the way.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #20
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMastodonFarm@May 17 2005, 07:45 PM
They need a new flagship game, Mario has been around for far too long now.
I'd suggest that Zelda and Metroid were the true flagship games of the Gamecube.

Or for multiplayer we have the aforementioned Super Smash Bros. Probably the best multiplayer game I've played outside of hockey (and that is obviously a niche game.)
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote