Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #41
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i am back to where i started now. samsung or iphone........... I really do like the samsung but just worried about it running properly.
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
i am back to where i started now. samsung or iphone........... I really do like the samsung but just worried about it running properly.
Just go into a Best Buy and compare the two demos. Make sure you don't ask anyone there what they think, though, because they get kickbacks from different manufacturers... but Apple isn't one of them.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #43
Bent Wookie

Quote:

I was at a same crossroad. My decision as based soley on the customization feature that goes along with the Android o/s. When I say customization, I just mean that you have the opportunity to change or customize pretty well every feature. If you have no interest in that sorta thing, the iphone might be a better option.

I also had lots of experience with Apple products and I just wanted something a little different.

Also, you might find it hard to buy an SGS off contract. I had several stores refuse to sell one to me as I just wanted to buy one outright (apparently they make most of their money off new contracts).
Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Don't be fooled with the "open platform". As long as you have to deal with a carrier, it is not open. They decide if you can have the latest Android release and that may limit you to what applications you are able to run. It would drive me nuts to see all the new features rolled into an OS update and have to wait months to get my hands on it.

Yes you can root it and install a ROM that gets you the latest OS if available but you can also Jailbreak an iPhone and install non sanctioned apps as well (opening it up).
Having recently worked with my first iPhone and jail breaking it, it made me realize just how true that statement is. In the end, there is probably a lot more support for jail breaking a new iOS version than there is for rooting and installing new Android version.

In fact, it means that unless RIM comes out with a good BB in the next year, my next phone will probably be an iPhone (not the 4 though, the glass thing freaks me out)
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Are HTCs not available much in Canada or something. Nobody at all seems to even be considering the Desire in this discussion, though most reviews I've read rate it as better than either the iPhone 4 or the Galaxy, and the Desire HD is an improvement on the Desire.

Is it simply that it's not available much in Canada or is there some other reason?
I was wondering that too. I have the HTC droid incredible and love most everything about it (similar to desire, I think). The amoled screen has such awesome blacks. My last generation ipod touch looks very washed out in comparison (Does the retina display improve much on black levels?). I much prefer using the Android OS+HTC Sense compared to IOS. Haven't tried an iphone 4 though.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #46
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I played with a Galaxy S in store and the text definitely looked pixellated compared to my iPhone 4. Or did they just have a defective unit as a floor model?
I was referring to the random reboots with the defected comment.

Also, Super Amoled is a different technology then standard Amoled screens, it uses less power, is more visible in direct sunlight and is brighter/more vivid. Not sure how you can say "Super Amoled" is just a marketing ploy.

As for the text, I own a Desire (same resolution as the SGS, but 3.7 screen as opposed to a 4" screen). I zoom in on text in the browser to the point where I can't zoom in any more and it still doesn't look pixelated. I guess if this is important to you then it can be a factor when buying a phone, but really? Slightly pixelated text?

I am not attacking the iPhone here, both phones are quality devices, just depends on what you are looking for. I say this because it sounds like I offended you with my "defective" comment.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #47
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a quick aside, props to Jing. He was the one that got me to get the SGS. Haven't looked back since
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #48
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the cheap feel of my SGS. It's 15 grams lighter than my iphone despite the larger screen. I'll take that trade off. I love having a back and menu button at the bottom of my phone. The iphone and its stupid single button at the bottom was really starting to get on my nerves. I'm typing this post with Swype on my phone. I can type quite a bit faster with one hand than I could before with 2.

Best phone in Canada IMO will be Bell's Desire Z when they launch it next month.
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #49
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Try looking at it this way: both are good phones, so you're propably going to enjoy your new phone anyway
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #50
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

personally i have the iphone, but i saw an active demo of the galaxy at the store so i thought i'd play with it. not too impressed with it. Doesn't really do much that the iphone can't and seems to have a poorer display than the iphone 4.

obviously i'm biased, but just my initial reactions on the galaxy, i kind of expected more. the fact that it felt like an iphone 3gs probably didn't help either so maybe subconsciouly i was just assuming it was an inferior phone
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #51
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Galaxy S

+ Customizable home screen and everything else
+ Widgets
+ Flash capable
+ A menu button. And a back button. Rogers/Telus versions have the 4th Android search button as well. Enough of this single home button crap.
+ Easily replaceable battery (about 15 seconds) if you're on the go and don't have time to charge - they cost $5 on eBay
+ MicroSD card slot making memory essentially limitless... phone has 16 GB on board and can take a 32 GB card for 48 GB total
+Stellar 3D graphics from Samsung's Hummingbird processor
+/- Phone feels pretty cheap in the hand and actually squeaks a bit if you squeeze it. That's how they made it 15 g lighter than the iPhone, but some people don't like it. That said, the back plastic cover pops off and also cost about $5... not the end of the world if you drop it like an iPhone.
+/- Bigger screen and better contrast levels; screen does have a lower resolution vs the retina but certainly makes up for it in other ways
- App selection (100,000 apps in the Android market isn't enough for you?)
- Battery Life (Indeed... but see above. It's this 4" display that really kills the battery. There are some great battery management apps in the Android Market and I've found one that has my SGS about on par with my 3GS)
- Android updates (I'd call this a plus since an open OS means you can flash your own ROM at your leisure)
- Recovery mode issue (fix now posted on XDA)
- Terrible GPS, on a lot of Galaxy S, including mine, it hardly works at all; will be updated by software eventually
- Significantly less accessory support, but you can charge with any Micro USB cord unlike Apple's proprietary cable

iPhone 4

+ Apple support
+ App selection
+ Retina screen
- Lack of customization
- Smaller screen
- Need iTunes to sync? (Is that a question? Answer is no... needs iTunes to activate the phone though...)
- Completely locked down OS that makes the phone unusable for power users unless it is jailbroken, which you may or may not be able to do on a given iDevice at a given time

There's more, but that's what I've seen so far.
Added a few things, and comments. Bottom line is, Galaxy S is not the best (overall) Android phone you can buy. Especially if you need a functioning GPS... but as you can see even with its faults it stacks up to the iPhone 4... I'd like to think I was being fair to the iPhone. The 4" display and graphics were enough for me to buy it. If someone asks me what the best phone OVERALL available in Canada is, as of today I'm saying iPhone 4, until November 3 when that answer becomes Desire Z from Bell.

Last edited by Acey; 10-25-2010 at 03:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #52
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see a heavy iPhone user fill in more stuff on the iPhone side to make an accurate comparison though, since it sounds like you're firmly entrenched in the Galaxy S side.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with Rogers at the moment unless I want to pay $300 to cancel, so my choice of Android phones are limited to the Galaxy S Captivate essentially.

I got to play with the Vibrant and iPhone 4 for a bit this weekend, and I do have to say I was suprised that I found the heft and feel of the iPhone hardware-wise much better than the loose and light feel of the Vibrant. I did some web browsing on both phones (went to CP and clicked on some threads), and there wasn't really a noticeable difference. I could zoom out a little smaller on the iPhone and still be able to read text than the Vibrant, but that was about it. Aside from the black levels being much better on the Vibrant, I honestly didn't see a huge difference between the screens.

Software wise I think I liked the Vibrant more than the iPhone, but overall I found the iPhone to be more zippy in general when loading random apps.

When I said the app selection was a negative on the Galaxy S, it has more to do with quality versus quantity. Also, since iPhone is the more popular brand, some companies are making apps only for the iPhone and not Android, and that can be a negative if there's something I like that I can't get on the Galaxy S phones.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I read that Rogers will not support the phone if you've flashed the ROM and installed a different Android OS then what they offer. I'd rather not blow the warranty right away.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #53
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

15 grams. I think somebody needs to work out.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #54
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big android fan, but that gps issue would scare me away from the Samsung if that was my only choice. I rarely use navigation on my phone, but the gps-centric apps are definitely my most useful apps. ie, sportypal for running distances/speed, golf logix for a golf gps.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #55
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
15 grams. I think somebody needs to work out.
A big deal in a world of high end smartphones with only small differences between them. Didn't say it was a deal breaker, just notable.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #56
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Alright, I pretty much have the final decision maker on a phone. I'm stuck with Rogers now...they changed their HUP to 30 months from 24, which means I'm still 6 months away from a new phone and will have to pay even more money if I wanted to cancel. I can use that as leverage, but I want to make sure I get a phone for the next 3 years that will actually LAST those 3 years.

The question becomes...which of the iPhone 4 or the Captivate be a better phone 3 years from now? I don't want to run into the same problem my blackberry has right now, which is literally falling apart on me 2 years in.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #57
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, iPhone's typically have early HUP policies. That's something thats just been there for Rogers/Fido customers. Means you can upgrade a year or two into the contract at the lowest price.

Aside from that, one of the main issues with Android is in two years time I doubt many of the handsets will support the newest OS. That can be said of devices that are about that age currently with Froyo.

With the iPhone 4, odds are you will get up to that 2-3 year mark in software updates.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #58
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
That is a really odd experience. I have a SGS and it far and away, the best phone I have ever used.

A co-worker has an iphone4 and we have used them side by side. The SGS blows its doors off in speed (even with flash enabled) and they are at the very least comparable when it comes to the screen although I am a little biased and think the SGS looks way cleaner and sharper.

You clearly got a defective unit. Pretty tough to judge your 2 cents when that occurs.

Edit: I forgot to add, Froyo (2.2) will be supported by the SGS. However I will admit, I am a little disappointed that it hasn'y arrived yet considering the Nexus1 had it in July/August. Gingerbread (3.0) comes out in November. It is unknown what phones will be supported. I would suspect, considering the hardware of the SGS ane the fact it has sold so many unit around the world, it will get that update.
Funny thing is, your co-worker might have a defective iPhone lol
I've played with both and the iPhone 4 was faster, smoother, and the screen was sharper. Or maybe the SGS i played with was defective, you never know lol