Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Talking About the Pacific Division

Sorry for the long post in advance.

What are your thoughts on the Pacific Division? How do you think the season is going to play out with everything taken into account?

There's no need to be a homer about what our team has done this offseason, we made some big moves that are more likely to help us than to hurt us. Our forward depth was always the problem, and Treliving addressed that greatly with the acquisitions that we made.

Anaheim Ducks - The only big thing (if you call it big) was the re-signing of Adam Henrique, 7/16/18 to a deal 500k over, 1 year under than Backlund. Was he worth it? Kesler could possibly be on the LTIR for the 18/19 season, and Perry and Getzlaf aren't getting any younger. They didn't make very many moves this offseason. Will the young group of Rakell, Gibson, and Lindholm be able to push the Ducks towards another playoff berth? I think Murray is in the process of evaluating his team this season to really see what moves he needs to make in the 2019 offseason.

Player to look at: Gibson. Their season depends on him.

Arizona Coyotes - This team pushed hard for a UFA forward. They pushed for JVR and Maroon but just got Grabner. They have a young forward core that is still working on gaining experience. OEL and Hjalmarsson have extended their stay in AZ, Kuemper joins Raanta as the backup goaltender, and D. Strome looks to be a full time NHLer next season. The biggest move they made was trading Domi for Galchenyuk, which I believe will turn out to be one of the best moves in the offseason. Galchenyuk was able to put up good points in Montreal with little ice time. He'll get more in AZ. The trade with Chicago in taking Hossa's cap space is still a bit weird to me, but I guess Chayka is always looking for ways to get assets. Will the young and upcoming team at least be able to make some noise next season? Or will they continue to be a bottom 5 team?

Players to look at: Galchenyuk/Raanta. If Galchenyuk pans out to be a top 6 center/left wing and/or Raanta plays lights out like he did towards the ending of the season for the Coyotes, the Coyotes have a good chance of pushing for a wild card spot.

Calgary Flames - Don't think I need to explain very much what the Flames did since we all know. Stajan/Versteeg/Ferland/Hamilton/Fox out, Hanifin/Lindholm/Neal/Ryan/Czarnik in. Yeah, we're going to do just fine. Ferland is definitely going to be missed, but his loss will be made up with how deep the forward group is now. The defense didn't necessarily take a huge blow, because I think Brodie and Hanifin are going to be able to get a little more offensive opportunity without Hamilton around. Will the Flames be able to bounce back from their March/April struggles? We were one of the worst teams towards the end of the season due to lack of line changes, but mainly injuries. Our question mark towards the 18/19 season will be goaltending. I say goaltending because not only do we need Smith to play above average like he did last season, but we also need a backup who we know can play well when Smith is either injured or just simply needs rest.

Players to look out at: Smith/Neal/Linholm: There are many players that we have to look at next season but these are the three key ones that I figured would make the difference. Will Smith be capable of playing 60 games still? Or will we need to cut it down to around 50-55 and have the backup take 27-32 games? Will Rittich or Gillies be able to provide that? Neal and Lindholm are the next players to look at. Will they be able to be highly touted RW's that we have been searching for since Iginla was traded?

Edmonton Oilers - Surprisingly, they didn't make any moves in the offseason. They decided not to make any moves in the 2017 offseason because of the stellar season that they had, but then fell back down to earth in the 17-18 season. They continued the trend of not doing anything and will basically depend on McDavid for everything. It doesn't help that they pretty much don't have very much cap space for anyone with Lucic, Russell, and Sekera hogging the cap. Are they going to continue slotting RNH next to McDavid? If so, that means they lose a center in the top 9 because RNH only scores at pretty much a PPG with McDavid centering the line.

Players to look at: Nurse/Talbot: Nurse is trending upward, will he continue to do so with the dire need of a #1D in Edmonton? Talbot is the biggest wildcard in the Pacific Division, are we going to see 16/17 Talbot or 17/18 Talbot?

Los Angeles Kings - They've extended Doughty to an 8 year extension after his last year at 7m. He'll be a top 10 defenseman for the majority of those years, so that is the only bad news for us. More Doughty vs. Tkachuk drama. They also signed Kovalchuk to a 3 year deal. Pretty decent signing, but the only issue to this team is the same as the Anaheim Ducks; their core is getting rather old. Are they going to be able to make the playoffs still on solely defense and goaltending? Will they get help on the offensive end more with the addition of Kovalchuk?

Player to watch: Kovalchuk: Played well in the NHL before running off to the KHL, but played really well in the KHL too. I know the KHL is a lesser league, but impressive to say the least. Will he be able to be a player LA can rely on for scoring rather than just Jeff Carter?

San Jose Sharks - Made a huge push for Tavares but in the end didn't get him. Thank goodness, because is was rumored that Thornton was going to re-sign with the Sharks at a cheap deal if the Sharks were able to sign Tavares. Tavares/Couture/Thornton down the middle would have been tough to compete for. They re-signed Thornton at 5m for a year since they lost out on Tavares, as well re-signing Evander Kane to a 7m x 7 and Hertl to 5.625m x 4. This is a team that doesn't have very many holes and just simply gets the job done. They don't have a franchise player, but lots of good players. This is the team that I feel Calgary is going to being competing with for the division.

Players to watch: Kane/Jones: Going to be interesting whether or not Kane can put up tons of points with Sharks. He looks to be a great power-forward kind of player that can be relied on to shoot the puck as long as he is not the one that has to carry the line. The Sharks have a few players that can take care of that. I also put down Jones because if he goes down, don't think the Sharks become as good of a team without him.

Vancouver Canucks - There isn't much to talk about this team since they are currently rebuilding. They'll be last in the Pacific Division. The Sedins are gone, things are going to be a lot different there. Signing Beagle is not going to get them a playoff spot, but I'm curious to see how Boeser and possibly Pettersson play. Will Pettersson make the team? Will they put him in the SHL for another year?

Players to watch: Boeser/Horvat/**Pettersson** - Can Boeser be that consistent 30g that Vancouver has needed for ages? Bo Horvat needs to take another step to continue trending upward for Vancouver to have a 1C unless they win Hughes in 2019. Pettersson is in asterisks because we don't know if he'll make it. If he does, he's going to be greatly use by an offensive hungry Vancouver squad.

Las Vegas Golden Knights - They just had the best year any sports franchise could ask for. However, they were the 2018 outlier. They had 4 forwards that produced a .9 PPG or higher. Fleury played out of his mind. Schmidt and Miller proved themselves as top 4 defenseman. They will still be a good team next season, but I think a lot of things went right for them last season. Perron and Neal have left the teams for other teams. They did sign Stastny to have some stability down the middle with Karlsson. I think they fall back to earth a little, but not an Edmonton Oiler (16/17-17/18) kind of drop off.

Players to watch: Smith/Karlsson/Marchessault: Are these three going to be able to drive Vegas' offense and continue to be one of the best lines in the league? If this line doesn't play well, it might be a problem for Vegas to rely on the other lines to produce points.

The Pacific Division is currently the weakest division in the NHL because we don't really know who is going to come out on top of it. Taking everything into account (and much information from each team that I missed), who do you think is going to be crowned the division champ? What two teams take the #2 and #3 seed?

My guess is:

1) San Jose
2) Calgary
3) Vegas
LA
Edmonton
Anaheim
Arizona
Vancouver

San Jose/Calgary/Vegas are interchangeable. But, I still think its those 3 that make it. The Central Division will take the 2 WC spots.

Thoughts on the Pacific Division? How will in pan out? I think the biggest thing to take into account after all is said and done is goaltending on every single team (except for Vancouver). Goaltending might be the biggest factor of making or breaking the playoffs.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-16-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Brodieyouevenlift
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1.Calgary
2. Don't care
3. Don't care
4. Don't care
5. Don't care
6. Don't care
7. Don't care
8. Edmonton
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brodieyouevenlift For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

LA was better than last year's Calgary Flames. I don't think the moves the Flames made make them better than LAK + Kovy.

Calgary battles for a WC spot.

Last edited by DoubleK; 07-16-2018 at 08:57 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
LA was better than last year Calgary and got better than Calgary did in the off season.

Signing a 35 year Kovalchuk does not make LA better in the off season than Calgary.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Signing a 35 year Kovalchuk does not make LA better in the off season than Calgary.
You asked for thoughts, I gave you mine.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're giving the oilers too much credit, they suck. They should finish last because they suck. No one can save them.

I'm predicting McDavid misses a lot of the season and they set a franchise record and finish 31st for the first (and definitely not last) time.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
LA was better than last year's Calgary Flames. I don't think the moves the Flames made make them better than LAK + Kovy.

Actually the Kings by most measures are a great team to predict in sliding. They were average in possession, scoring chance splits, terrible WAR team, almost all advanced stats say they got away with murder last year.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You asked for thoughts, I gave you mine.

They're also a team that just got swept by the Knights in the playoffs.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Calgary
San Jose
Vegas

LA
Vancouver
Edmonton
Anaheim
Arizona

2 x Wildcards for the Central.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're also a team that just got swept by the Knights in the playoffs.
You thesis is based on goaltending being the problem last year.

I think you need to start over.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You thesis is based on goaltending being the problem last year.

I think you need to start over.

No, that's my thesis for all teams this upcoming season. Try again.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #12
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, that's my thesis for all teams this upcoming season. Try again.
Thanks for proving my point.

You must not have watched much hockey last year.

Carry on.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Carry on.
You mean the poster with the full page write up to kick this thread off?
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Carry on.
Are you trying to be an ass?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Jose
Calgary
Vegas
LA
Anaheim
Edmonton
Arizona
Vancouver
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

To me it's about parity.

I think Vegas, Anaheim and LA are going to come back. I think the Sharks have the best staying power of the playoffs teams and could challenge. I think Calgary bounces back the most of the teams that missed, but Edmonton and Arizona are going to be better too.

Less distance between teams 1-6
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #17
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Are you trying to be an ass?
No I'm not.

Goaltending wasnt the primary issue last year. Not by a long shot.

And even if it was, LA had/has better goaltending than the Flames do. So I fail to see how magically the Flames became better in the off-season, if goaltending was the issue.

Honestly, don't ask for people's thoughts if you don't want to hear them.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 07-16-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: F it. Just grumpy
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #19
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No I'm not.

And even if it was, LA had/has better goaltending than the Flames do. So I fail to see how magically the Flames became better in the off-season, if goaltending was the issue.

Taken from my post: "Will the Flames be able to bounce back from their March/April struggles? We were one of the worst teams towards the end of the season due to lack of line changes, but mainly injuries. Our question mark towards the 18/19 season will be goaltending. I say goaltending because not only do we need Smith to play above average like he did last season, but we also need a backup who we know can play well when Smith is either injured or just simply needs rest."

It wasn't that hard to read that I said our problem last year was line changes and injuries towards the end of the season. What were you reading? There's no need to be defensive for me saying that LA didn't become a better team because they signed a 35 year old NHL outcast who is back for money.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No I'm not.

Uh goaltending wasn't the issue.