Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Tesla self drive at 150 Kim/h while driver sleeps. In Alberta.

WTF? This guys should lose his license.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...-fb60b4d2ad55/
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just reading about this. That's a hell of an expensive nap.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Police said when an officer turned on their emergency lights, the Tesla accelerated to 150 km/h.
Damn, that's some rebellious AI. Would be interested to hear from Tesla wtf the car was doing at that speed in the first place and then accelerating when the lights came on. I wonder how/if the driver was influencing the car.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does "autopilot" limit the speed you can set it at relative to the speed limit? It seems it would be prudent to limit it to 10% over the posted limit.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Does "autopilot" limit the speed you can set it at relative to the speed limit? It seems it would be prudent to limit it to 10% over the posted limit.
The car should be set up to follow all laws - meaning it should not be allowed to exceed the post speed limit.
But it sounds like, in this case, the driver somehow bypassed some of the safety features - which then leads to the question about how easy that is to do.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should be criminally charged with impaired driving. This is no difference than being drunk.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it self driving or not? What the hell Elon?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to give him his due though, he must have balls of steel to take a nap at 140, I'd be scared witless at 20 to let my hands off the wheel let alone sleep
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question should be....was Elon Musk controlling the car remotely from his desk, gradually increasing the speed while laughing maniacally?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It gives you the ability to go a few over the speed limit on roads before it tells you no.. on highways you can go up to 150km/h I think but I have never tried.

I would never take my eyes off the road let alone sleep with it on, it's a cool feature but its not good enough to risk anyones life over.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In all seriousness though, this guy should lose his license for a while.

You would have to be a certifiable idiot to do this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He should be criminally charged with impaired driving. This is no difference than being drunk.
Isn't it? I would argue that a Tesla driving itself down hwy 2 is far safer than a drunk guy, and significantly safer than a sober guy in an older car.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla...erage-driving/

I have no problem with him being charged with what he was charged ith. The laws are clear that he shouldn't be doing that yet.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What? Hell no.

The dude was tired and sleeping, not actually legally impaired. Yes, perhaps it's not safe to drive if you haven't slept for 2 days suffering from insomnia, but unless you violate rules, you're not doing anything wrong. Plus, if you get a ticket, you get a ticket for the rule you were violating.

Honestly speaking, I think this is more in between fatigue and distracted driving. Not a DUI.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

According to the CDC “Being awake for at least 24 hours is equal to having a blood alcohol content of 0.10%. This is higher than the legal limit (0.08% BAC) in all states”. Sounds like maybe that should against the rules, and drivers should take some personal accountability to not out others at undue risk.

Personally, I hate the idea of sharing the roadway with a motorist who *completely* disengaged. Imagine being so smug at 20yo. It’s always the rich kids with their parents money that are just so incredibly stupid.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #15
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would rather trust 1000 teslas on auto-pilot than those same 1000 cars with human drivers.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #16
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, have you guys not been on Calgary roads lately? Drivers out there are brutal and terrifying. I'd much prefer Elon Musk's sentinels out there driving than those folks...especially if they're tired.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Isn't it? I would argue that a Tesla driving itself down hwy 2 is far safer than a drunk guy, and significantly safer than a sober guy in an older car.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla...erage-driving/

I have no problem with him being charged with what he was charged ith. The laws are clear that he shouldn't be doing that yet.
In typical electrek style those stats are garbage, its comparing highway miles to total driven miles.

This thread encapsulates why Tesla and Musk have been reckless in their sales job on the true abilities of autopilot.

The system rides the lines way too often especially on two lane highways. It gets incrementally better all the time, but its not even close to the point where you should take your eyes off the road let alone a nap.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #18
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last I checked Tesla Autopilot is 1.8 million miles per crash, average of all drivers 400,000 miles. Number differ depending on source, naturally.

What really grinds my gears about "autopilot" is people generally don't even know what it is in relation to aircraft. This is what is actually is:
Quote:
An autopilot is a system used to control the trajectory of an aircraft, marine craft or spacecraft without requiring constant manual control by a human operator. Autopilot does not replace human operators. Instead, autopilot assists the operator's control of the vehicle, allowing the operator to focus on broader aspects of operations (for example, monitoring the trajectory, weather and on-board systems)
Apply that to an automobile. It does NOT REPLACE THE HUMAN DRIVER and they must PAY ATTENTION. Just like in an aircraft.

Last edited by zamler; 09-17-2020 at 11:47 AM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #19
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t see what autopilot has to do with anything here. The guy was doing 150km/h while sleeping. That’s against the law. Full stop.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What? Hell no.

The dude was tired and sleeping, not actually legally impaired. Yes, perhaps it's not safe to drive if you haven't slept for 2 days suffering from insomnia, but unless you violate rules, you're not doing anything wrong. Plus, if you get a ticket, you get a ticket for the rule you were violating.

Honestly speaking, I think this is more in between fatigue and distracted driving. Not a DUI.
If he were passed out rather than asleep and letting the Tesla drive for him should he be charged with impaired driving?

There is no difference between the two scenarios. Note I am arguing what should be the consequence rather than what the law states.

New Jersey and Arizona have fatigued driving statues that are similar to DUIs.

Last edited by GGG; 09-17-2020 at 11:55 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: