Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #41
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing a video on Twitter from about 40 mins ago where protests in Minneapolis are turning violent..quite a few rocks being thrown at police cars, etc.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #42
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Seeing a video on Twitter from about 40 mins ago where protests in Minneapolis are turning violent..quite a few rocks being thrown at police cars, etc.
Black people have a bad habit of undermining their own cause.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1265430916769501184
Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Uhhhh my reaction to that video definitely would not be to say "oh, those black people, they're undermining their own cause."

Black people have every right to be absolutely outraged. White-on-black brutality by police officers in the States has become a massive problem that crosses state lines from the north to the south. Throwing some rocks at police cars is a drop in the bucket compared to a police officer slowly crushing a black man's larynx against the pavement. Do you expect blacks to be docile in response to this repeated and largely unpunished wrongdoing? This has been happening for years and it's only getting worse, and yet black people are the ones who need to change their behaviour?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #44
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

The black population has shown remarkable restraint, in my eyes, considering the number of police killings of black people over the years.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #45
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was best said by a black man about what cops culture is and how police should be addressing police on black violence - you always hear police saying, "oh that was one bad apple, not all of us are like that", but they should honestly be enraged those people are out there representing them. They're supposed to be community peacekeepers but they always explain it away instead of actively going out and engaging these communities away from the camera. Personally, I haven't watched the video because that could very well be any one of us on the bottom and it's sad to think that a human could do that to another. It happens especially often in the States that it's an issue. Police should be held to a higher standard but the unions help them in this system. I'm not a fan of outrage culture but these situations should illicit a lot of citizens to respond. I can't see how the bootlickers can explain this type of thing away.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #46
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tear gas, riot gear, trashed police cars, loads of angry people in the street. It's a chaotic situation. Hope more people don't die out of this.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
What makes you think it's even black people doing the things you're talking about? I would bet that a significant proportion of the protesters are white.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #48
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is like any group that has serious problems with those within; in this case the American police services. Outrage must be visible and audible from within their own membership. Not for a couple of days, but a sustained cry for change.

Until I see that, I don't see any change in behavior.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:03 PM   #49
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
America, such a sad place.
Yeah it just keeps getting worse
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #50
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's worst is they have a lunatic at the top spreading racist comments, yeah, America is a sad sad place.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #51
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeeeeeesh... normally I'm pretty much against peoples' lives being ruined when they do or say something stupid that ends up being broadcast to the mob on social media who in turn demand that person's utter destruction... but in this case, that's a tough piece of ground to stand on. Just awful.
Yeah, this is the rare case of where I'm fully behind the mob mentality here of ruining her life. What a complete POS. Intentionally trying to frame a black man because she can't follow the rules, AND she's harming her own damn dog in the process? Disgusting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was apparently a lead up to that video in which he wase being a bit of a tool, too (waving around a bag full of treats to get her dog to come to him against her will, telling her she "wasn't going to like what he was going to do" if she didn't put the dog on the leash), but nothing that justifies her behaviour.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #53
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1265430916769501184
I mean, black people have been ####ed over in the country time and time again...I don't think you can fault them for being aggressive when showing their frustration in a society that oppresses them.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #54
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hands in his pockets. ####### cop. All that’s missing is him yawning.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #55
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
yet black people are the ones who need to change their behaviour?
I am a black American-Canadian, for the record. I don't really need affirmation of the struggle, thanks. The rest of my family is living it.

Destroying our own cities in response to these incidents makes white people call us thugs and hate us more. Ask me how I know.

Anything else to add?

Quote:
Do you expect blacks to be docile in response to this repeated and largely unpunished wrongdoing?
My family and I feel our own way about and I'm not sure I have any obligation to tell you about the complexity of these issues.

Last edited by Acey; 05-26-2020 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #56
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched this unfortunately it is infuriating I can't imagine the feeling of the bystanders watching that knowing there is absolutely nothing they can do to help or they will be arrested or in that exact same position just awful stuff
Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #57
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I would bet that a significant proportion of the protesters are white.
Probably, but it doesn't matter. For incredibly obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The black population has shown remarkable restraint, in my eyes, considering the number of police killings of black people over the years.
It's almost as if the black population can simultaneously condemn an act, but also behave themselves and pray for ways we can move forward without smashing police cars. White people telling us what to do is exactly how we got here in the first place.

We really can't win. Didn't think I'd have to come in here and defend a position of not wanting to riot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I am a black American-Canadian, for the record. I don't really need affirmation of the struggle, thanks. The rest of my family is living it.

Destroying our own cities in response to these incidents makes white people call us thugs and hate us more. Ask me how I know.

Anything else to add?

My family and I feel our own way about and I'm not sure I have any obligation to tell you about the complexity of these issues.
First of all, I had no idea you're black. And of course you're aware of the struggle and you have your own feelings about this situation. I wasn't trying to be sanctimonious or anything like that.

I'm sure there are whites out there who would call the protestors in Minnesota thugs for destroying the city but, and forgive me if I'm mistaken, the point of the protests is to try and effect broad change, no? I'm not sure if the whites who call black people "thugs" are really the target audience of these protests. I think people who would say that only have to be motivated to do so and don't have the minds that these protestors are trying to change or influence.

Sure prejudiced white people are going to use terms like "thugs" but does that really matter if the base of rational people motivated to address this issue grows as a result of the protests?

Please let me know if I'm off base here.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the point of protesting by rioting, smashing police cars, and the like is to "effect broad change", then the protests are misguided. The public was already quite focused on the incident and unequivocal in its condemnation of the police officers involved, who were all quickly fired, and may yet face prosecution. You have mayors, Senators and Governors calling for investigations, giving press conferences... riots distract from that unerring and uncomfortable focus on the problem.

Now people can slip back into their normal comfort zone, decry the protests, and argue on the internet with the people who are saying things like "you love to see it" and "those cops deserve it" and calling anyone who opposes rioting in the streets a racist. Standard culture war BS.

Of course, this seemed inevitable, so no one is surprised, but similarly, no one should be suggesting that maybe rioting is the ticket to changing the way people feel about this issue. And really, the responses were starting to give me the impression that this incident - for whatever reason, because it's not like there haven't been terrible incidents caught on camera before - might actually result in some substantive policy measures, at least in Minnesota, which could then have a knock-on effect. Well, we'll see if that happens, because this stuff just creates a fresh news cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #60
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, I had no idea you're black. And of course you're aware of the struggle and you have your own feelings about this situation. I wasn't trying to be sanctimonious or anything like that.
I stated it above, but I guess it wasn't clear. Still, I would like to apologize to everyone, I overreacted in the last 2 posts. I just got off a phone call with my mom and these things end up being pretty emotional for us. She always eventually breaks down in these phone calls and talks about how terrified she was that my brother or I would have a run-in with the police and not come home. I've had a few text convos with friends and cousins tonight for reassurances that they're not going out tonight to throw rocks at anybody.

I'm maybe too close to this issue to comment with my head on straight. But if the question is whether or not black Americans have the right to be outraged, rest assured we are in a perpetual state of outrage to the point of tears that this keeps happening over and over again.
Closed Thread