Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #21
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I initially thought this as well, but I'm wondering if the cap put in by the NDP was actually preventing insurance companies from keeping up with affording their claims payouts. The article says there are more claims now and they are paying $1.12 for every $1 earned, which may be why some insurance companies were trying to pull out of the province.

I am normally all for insurance caps and I am not sure getting rid of them all together is the solution, but if claims are increasing we need to address that challenge for both the insured and the insurers.
people can't entirely blame the UCP. there was a huge jump last year, too.

the insurance people I spoke with said it was entirely due to the bath they took on payouts for all the disasters Alberta had over the past few years.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard this is related to Lawyer's pursuing uncapped damages for PTSD, vs the capped Soft Tissue damage limit.

Feel free to add, correct me.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #23
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I wish there were heavier premium increases for at fault issues, tickets (driving with a cell phone), etc allowing for a minimal increase for those with very clean driving records.
This is going to be a big one. Some carriers will refuse you physical coverage if you have a ticket like this.

As well, there is a push to have this ticket classified as a major ticket instead of minor.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #24
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

cam_whh, that has been the strategy since the cap was introduced back in 2004. I doubt it has much bearing on recent premium increases.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
cam_whh, that has been the strategy since the cap was introduced back in 2004. I doubt it has much bearing on recent premium increases.
I thought Tinnitus was also a go to as well.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #26
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
BC recently put a cap on it though.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-eby-1.4522277
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #27
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I moved From Central Calgary to South Calgary and reduced my commute by 2000k per year. My premiums went up mid year.
The km driven thing seems to be pretty much irrelevant - it seems pretty much anything under 20000km /yr is treated about the same. Which is probably pretty fair TBH - probably not statistically that significant compared to other predictors, and makes it unnecessary to actually track odometers, etc.

Say you actually drive ~10k/yr and save a few bucks compared to the guy who drives 15k. But one year you decide to take a road trip down to the grand canyon and don't think to notify your insurer. Murphy's law --> accident on the way home, insurer could pretty quickly determine you're above your stated miles driven and void your claim. Hardly seems worth it.

I wonder if new accident avoidance safety features on cars have any impact on premiums? I don't buy brand new so no personal experience...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #28
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
People have been chicken littling this for years and these massive hikes never seem to materialize for a lot of people. Shop around yourself or get a broker, mine shops around every year at renewal and I've seen a decrease or stable rate since getting on with him.

Now; if you have lots of tickets, have a bunch of claims or are a new driver, you will probably be wise to buy a tub of Vaseline. I would also suspect that every renewal is going to mean your abstract is getting pulled and every ticket that might have been missed in the past is going to affect you.
Might be a dumb question but where to you find a broker for insurance?

Do you pay them or them finding you business gets them a cut?
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I thought Tinnitus was also a go to as well.
Jaw pain too.

Scary how much money people get out of these pretty mild injuries.

I've had a few treat it like a job. Thank them for their role in these increases.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #30
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Concussions are another one from what I have heard.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #31
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post
Might be a dumb question but where to you find a broker for insurance?

Do you pay them or them finding you business gets them a cut?
An insurance broker definitely gets a cut of what you pay for insurance. Yet they also provide you quotes from so many different companies you are not even aware of. They advertise companies you are not aware of, and as such companies that want your business.

This can be done online. No up front fee. You type in what you want and your details and they come back to you with multiple quotes from many companies. Dont like the quotes move along at no cost to you. It is almost instant too.

All done online! Yet you do need to eventually speak to a person once you decide on who you want to deal with.

I go on https://www.kanetix.ca/ to get auto insurance quotes. It is painless. I am sure there are other places as well, but this works for me.

Just dont lie about your driving record. They will know more about your driving than you do lol!

If you are a good or a bad driver this site has worked for me and many of my friends.

Good luck!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #32
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Say you actually drive ~10k/yr and save a few bucks compared to the guy who drives 15k. But one year you decide to take a road trip down to the grand canyon and don't think to notify your insurer. Murphy's law --> accident on the way home, insurer could pretty quickly determine you're above your stated miles driven and void your claim. Hardly seems worth it.
That basically would never happen. No insurer has ever asked about mileage on a vehicle so they'd have nothing to compare it to.

Utmost good faith with your insurer is certainly good practice but annual mileage is the least of their concerns.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
That basically would never happen. No insurer has ever asked about mileage on a vehicle so they'd have nothing to compare it to.

Utmost good faith with your insurer is certainly good practice but annual mileage is the least of their concerns.
What? They ask that ok every single policy?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #34
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how are they trying to blame the ndp this time? I like spending money i dont have just to stick it to the ndp
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #35
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

I have 2 vehicles, that question is asked all the time.

Maybe you meant how many miles the vehicle has on it. That they dont ask! How many miles you drive a year they ask always.

Probably the first question an insurance company asks. 28 years driving and insuring vehicles. First question always asked.

Not calling you a liar. Just in my experience over 28 years it is always the first question asked.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #36
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
I have 2 vehicles, that question is asked all the time.

Maybe you meant how many miles the vehicle has on it. That they dont ask! How many miles you drive a year they ask always.

Probably the first question an insurance company asks. 28 years driving and insuring vehicles. First question always asked.

Not calling you a liar. Just in my experience over 28 years it is always the first question asked.
I've never been asked that. They asked how far it was from home to work, but never how much in a year.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #37
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I've never been asked that. They asked how far it was from home to work, but never how much in a year.
My policy states the number of miles I drive in a year. Problem is I don't remember anyone asking me. Could be they factor in the miles driven to and from work.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #38
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Mine has always asked both. Mileage to work and average miles in a year.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The number of kms is to help assess risk, but it's not used in claims as far as I know. To suggest a claim could be denied solely on that basis seems unlikely as it would be unverifiable.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Jaw pain too.

Scary how much money people get out of these pretty mild injuries.

I've had a few treat it like a job. Thank them for their role in these increases.
Milking insurance and disability RGMG. And people boast about it, like they're screwing the man. Sorry, but the man is still getting his BMW and vacation in Playa Del Carmen. Higher claims just mean the rest of us pay higher premiums.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: