Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2020, 11:41 PM   #361
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Funny, my garage security camera keeps picking up someone absolutely flying down our back lane because the vehicle breaches the motion detection area I set of 2 ft within our property. And it's her. Every. Single. Time.
That brings up a good question - what is the official speed limit in an alley?

Our alley is paved - and frankly it only encourages speed. Luckily, strategic placement of blue / green / black carts can serve as rudimentary expendable traffic calming measures...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #362
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speed limit in an alley is 15!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #363
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePaint View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but after reading the report:
- commute impact 90 seconds on average
- money saved due to costs associated with collisions
- people feel safer in their communities

Why are people so outraged about this proposal?
I don’t think this is accurate now though. I think that originally there was an impact, but that impact now is essentially zero and I don’t think anyone cares. A limit on the purely residential roads as they’ve set it changes virtually nothing for people, because no one exceeds that except in very rare cases.

It’s annoying that this was entirely pointless and basically a lot of posturing and money spent for zero outcome. But aside from that irritation I don’t think people are up in arms at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #364
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The distance to get out of my community is just over one kilometre, the speed limits will be 40km/hr, then 50km/hr then 30km/hr then 40km/hr then 50 km/hr.

I’ll probably just keep driving the way I have been.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #365
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Slowing down the collectors would be detrimental to bus service.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4774...rt-TT2020-1036
Haven't jumped through the hoops to download that report, but I'm skeptical of the methodology they used to arrive at those conclusions.

Did they actually account for acceleration and braking with every stop? How much time do busses actually spend cruising at 50kph on collector roads?

Do bus routes not already have buffer times/stops built in? We aren't exactly talking about Swiss trains here.

No doubt there would be some impact to bus routes, but they would fall within normal operational tweaks.

1 km at 50kph = 72 seconds
1 km at 40kph = 90 seconds

But the actual time loss for a bus would be far less considering they stop/start a few times each kilometer, eating up time/distance in the acceleration/braking phases that are identical regardless of the cruise speed.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #366
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bit of a news bump from across the pond:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321185407833460736
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #367
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should never have liberated those people.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #368
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Should never have liberated those people.
We can unliberate...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #369
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:46 PM   #370
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-to-plebiscite

Council pushes speed limit decision to 2021, opens door to plebiscite

The changes wouldn’t impact roads that already have posted speed limits of 50 km/h or above. Putting up new signs on the collector roads would cost $2.3 million.

City officials said the lower speed limits should be considered with an eye to eventually making the residential speed limit 30 km/h and lowering collector speeds to 40 km/h.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #371
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
City officials said the lower speed limits should be considered with an eye to eventually making the residential speed limit 30 km/h and lowering collector speeds to 40 km/h.[/I]
Or you know...maybe we just do that right away because it is the most sensible option. Each ward might have a half dozen sections of collector roads where 50 or 60 makes more sense - identify them and be done with it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #372
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

They should ban all motorized vehicles everywhere, as it poses danger to pedestrians...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #373
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dumbest of all the options is a plebicite
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #374
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The dumbest of all the options is a plebicite
"We are elected by you to represent your interests! Now...we're going to ask you what to do. Also...you have to pay for the process. And us. And everything else."

If you can't make an obvious decision then WTF are you doing there?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #375
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"We are elected by you to represent your interests! Now...we're going to ask you what to do. Also...you have to pay for the process. And us. And everything else."

If you can't make an obvious decision then WTF are you doing there?
It’s obviously going this way because council really wants it but knows the population doesn’t.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #376
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It’s obviously going this way because council really wants it but knows the population doesn’t.
So...what were they elected for again? Wasnt it to represent...you know...the Public?

Old 11-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #377
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So...what were they elected for again? Wasnt it to represent...you know...the Public?
Plebiscites have their place. If they feel they are unable to accurately represent the public’s opinion then a plebiscite is the way to go.

Remember fluoride in the water supply? We put it in with a plebiscite once upon a time, and council voted to remove it without one. That was an instance where it absolutely should have gone to a plebiscite.

I would prefer to have more input over things in our city rather than less, particularly when it is directly impacting citizens.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #378
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Plebiscites have their place. If they feel they are unable to accurately represent the public’s opinion then a plebiscite is the way to go.

Remember fluoride in the water supply? We put it in with a plebiscite once upon a time, and council voted to remove it without one. That was an instance where it absolutely should have gone to a plebiscite.

I would prefer to have more input over things in our city rather than less, particularly when it is directly impacting citizens.
I am completely the opposite, the further away from people the better. Let experts do their job.

Floruide should not have gone to a plebiscite. Flouride should not have been a city council decision. It should be a provincial requirement under the Safey Codes act for water treatment systems of a certain size. It what world to city councillors or citizens have the expertise to make that decision.

Same with speed limits, the traffic engineers at the city should be making this decision based on site lines and risk.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #379
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am completely the opposite, the further away from people the better. Let experts do their job.
That sounds reasonable. They are the experts, after all.

But when experts routinely make decisions that run contrary to the public will, those experts and the institutions they run lose legitimacy in the eyes of the public. Which is a bad for civil society, and only grows support for populists and demagogues.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #380
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Floruide should not have gone to a plebiscite. Flouride should not have been a city council decision. It should be a provincial requirement under the Safey Codes act for water treatment systems of a certain size. It what world to city councillors or citizens have the expertise to make that decision.

Same with speed limits, the traffic engineers at the city should be making this decision based on site lines and risk.
I 100% agree with you there, but that's a view based on how things *should* be done.

The way things are done today provides for either council or citizen plebiscite to enact changes, and when something is voted in by the people, it should be the will of the people that votes it out.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote