Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #361
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a rigged game... the game is rigged against Calgary... I can't support that. The KHL with ties to Russian mobsters probably has more integrity than this. Been a fan all my life and this is a blatant screw job and it has been since the wideman incident (before wasn't as blatant except maybe 04 when even Darryl Sutter called the leauge out on it.) I wish I liked other sports but I don't, so I'll watch reruns of threes company instead.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #362
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan?101 View Post
Knew all along Anaheim would be a handful. Not going to lie, didn't think they'd be this dominant with Fowler and Vatanen out, but they took us to school.

Chicago would've been way way better for us. Been saying it all along.
lol they haven't been
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #363
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know Elliot was garbage tonight and if he's been half decent it wouldn't have mattered. However, that high stick goal being allowed is such a ####ing preposterous call that it beggars belief. It's an absolute disgrace. It's almost like a bunch of men gathered around a monitor in a room, agreed that it shouldn't have counted and then all collectively said 'yeah.....that's a goal'. Such a bunch of bull. If I wasn't a hockey fan I'd have been done with the NHL a long time ago. But it's like an addiction. Once you're in your hooked. But man oh man I don't know of a league where they make it so obvious that they want to screw you over. They're a ####ing disgrace. Sod that the fact that we had no penalties against us. A high stick is a high stick. Call it for what it is you bunch of clowns.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azzarish For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #364
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Add another Center like Monahan on this team , find a legit Starter and this team is a contender , a couple of legit bottom 6 dman would not hurt either.
No no, I disagree. Find a few more 30+, slow as hell, soft as a wet fart, over-the-hill, washed up "character" veterans and pay them multiple millions on long term contracts.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #365
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post
I agree, but it also did a lot to deflate the players and the crowd. Bernier did a great job with the few chances the Flames did have after they pulled Gibson, but still...I honestly think that had that call gone differently then the ducks don't tie this one.
They were coming hard. Would have pulled the goalie etc.......... Would have been a wild finish

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #366
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm dead serious when I say this. I think I'm done with the NHL. The bull#### that's happened ever since the Wideman incident is ridiculous. It's not even fun to watch anymore.
What are you talking about.

The Flames weren't penalized once this game. Not once.

Gulutzan insists on playing our third pairing and our fourth line way too many minutes every single game. They are the direct reason we are down 3-0 right now.

Then, add Ellliott's .816 save percentage tonight and you lose 5-4.

The Flames shut it down at the ten minute mark of the second period and started playing their bottom players. The Ducks kept coming.

The Ducks score a ##### goal with less than a minute left in the second, that Elliott needs to have. Then the Flames come out and play our third pairing AND fourth line like idiots until the Ducks eventually tie the game.

If I'm coaching, as soon as that second goal goes in and Elliott looks shaky, thats the last time Bartkowski and Engelland touch the ice. It's the last time the fourth line touches the ice.

I don't give a crap about "energy". The fact is they get dominated every damn time they are on the ice. That's coaching. Not players. Gulutzan is getting dominated by Carlyle this series and it isn't even close.

Watch what happens next series against Edmonton or San Jose. I guarantee that the top players for both of the aforementioned are going to dominate ice time. As they FREAKING SHOULD. ITS THE PLAYOFFS GULLY!!!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!!

What are you saving the legs for Gully? You need to make damn sure we win the game. Not leave it up to several fire drills in your own end as a direct result of your player deployment.

People are going to blame certain players this series, that's fine. But I honestly think they are to a large part victims of the circumstances they are put in.

Lets honestly look at our player deployment.

We are playing a 6th dman journeyman (Engelland) and an AHL PTO defenseman (Bartkowski) close to 15 minutes a night. We play our fourth line way too much as well. Combine that, and you give Anaheim way too many opportunities to gain momentum and get back into games.

I put this series on two factors.

1. Getting terrible goaltending.
2. Getting out coached.

Can't have both of those and expect to win. Here's to signing Ben Bishop in the offseason, and launching the third pairing and fourth line into the sun.

If Gulutzan can't figure out how to properly ride his big guns, then he needs to go too.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #367
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
goal 1: terrible rebound control and instead of hoovering it up or sending it to the corner, the puck went right out in front for the easy putback.

goal 2: might have been slight deflected, but the damn puck hits off of his pad and ramps up and in, because his glove was too high and into the net. zero screen, terrible angle, zero velocity

goal 3: ask the NHL

goal 4: didn't track the puck well at all; he has his glove up in close to right area and he is sliding to the right so it appears he has a bead on it, and somehow he misses. wasnt a howitzer and wasn't screened and did not appear to be deflected

goal 5: hard to fault, the ducks player was pushing the dman into the top of the crease and it looks like the ducks just threw it at the net, went off the ducks players back and into the net...

that's what i saw at least... i am sure there's be tons of replays over the next few days

Goal 5 was on Elliott as he deflected it off his stick right into Stone.
Bad rebound control like 2 other goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #368
FlamesFan?101
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol they haven't been
I mean, they're leading 3-0
FlamesFan?101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #369
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol they haven't been
Despite flashes of compete by the Flames, they're down 3-0 in a series. You put as much lipstick on this pig as you want, it's still a pig.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #370
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Knew all along Anaheim would be a handful. Not going to lie, didn't think they'd be this dominant with Fowler and Vatanen out, but they took us to school.

Chicago would've been way way better for us. Been saying it all along.
Paging Textcritic
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #371
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

top line RWer, goaltender, maybe another center
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #372
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I should let this go but I can't resist, what's a bottom 6 Dman?
5th6th dman that can play up to 20 min and not hurt your team. Flames bottom pairing needs improvement. Team is not far from a contender just needs upgrades in Goal and Defence .
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #373
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Gulutzan cost the team the series by not adjusting.
How would you suggest to adjust? (Serious question)

I really can't fault Gulutzan other than adjusting some shift times (still the best players spent the most time on the ice). A lot of bad puck luck, Johnny not playing to his capabilities, Elliott letting in some softies, some dumb plays by other players all seem to cause.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #374
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Toughest series to watch in my 30 years of following the flames... Pretty depressing actually with the oiler surging with all their handouts.

I just wonder what's next for the flames, core is ok but I don't see a cup contending group, no blue chippers left although you may have some ok depth/role guys in janko, gillies and the two young dmen (I know everybody is high on parsons but he's years away at best).

No 2nd rounder (and I think no 3rd? Maybe that's next year) and their first will be a project picking so late. So improvements will have to be through FAs or trades. Team needs a tougher more tenacious 4th line, another scorer up front who is an upgrade on Versteeg to play with Bennett and Lazar and give us another 1C/2C line (as this team will clearly have to score by committee imo) a top 4 dman, new bottom pairing and a goalie or two.

And filling those slots with cast offs or just coming back with the same group and bishop in net will definitely find us back here again next year at best.

Do you try to find an overhaul trade and move Gaudreau for another young star who fits better maybe to alter chemistry? Package up 3 or 4 of our best non NHL assets for a possible star prospect with a higher ceiling?

Off seasons were a lot easier with top 10 picks and multiple 2nds. I think this is gonna be a long summer.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #375
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite concerned about how tonight's events will impact the young Flames' heads moving forward.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #376
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, they're leading 3-0
All one goal games, the third decided in OT. That's close, it's close in favor of one team, but it's not dominating.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #377
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
100% the loss is on Elliott.

Can't let in 2,4 and 5.

Sure maybe one or two of those go in but you have to make a save on at least one of them.
Correction, can't let in 1,2,4 or 5.

He looked shaky all night, horrible rebound control, swimming in his net, not tracking the puck.

It looked like the crowd and the the C of Red had the opposite effect on Elliott, just looked jittery and nervous the entire night.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #378
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least this brutal post season has eliminated any questions about Monahan that people might have had.

I guess that's the one silver lining.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #379
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So its tbe refs fault they fell apart after that?

If you can't answer pretty easy, pointed questions, then I guess it's clear you don't really want to talk about this.

But I'll answer your question. I think it is jointly the NHL War room and the Flames fault that they fell apart after the goal that should have counted. But I think it's a tall order to ask a bunch of kids in a very emotional setting to stay composed in that situation, and with the no-goal call I can totally understand why it was so rattling. So, joint blame, huge momentum swing.

NHL with no credibility or integrity.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #380
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back from the game, the mist dissapointing loss I've ever attended at the Dome. Going to game 4, not even looking forward to it, feels like a meaningless per season game at this point.

Thoughts: everyone played very well with the following key exceptions:
- Elliott once again is the goat for me. Feeling he played his last game as a Flame tonight. Got to try Johnson and IMO his inconsistent season followed by costing his team two games hasn't earned him a new contract here. I actually don't know how you can bring him back, he'd constantly be fighting the goat horns with this team. That said finding our goalie solution is going to be tough, really too bad Elliott didn't work outs

- Hamilton has been a disaster. If he's not taking dumb penalties, he's just lost out there.

- Though Frolik wasnt good tonight either.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post: