Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #261
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If they are really serious about reducing consumption then 100% of the bill needs to be directly related to your usage. Do it in a way so they get the same amount of money on their end but also rewards people that actually use less electricity.
it's funner to gouge people with insane admin fees

Last edited by White Out 403; 02-12-2020 at 05:54 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #262
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah if it was tied to usage, people might actually be encouraged to use less and they’d have to raise rates to keep revenues the same.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #263
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
it's funner to gauge people with insane admin fees
The funny part is years ago everyone complained that they had no idea what their usage was. You would get a bill that said "pay this much". So they gave people exactly what they wanted, a breakdown of the costs to run the system, and a charge for your usage. Low and behold, people are bitching about that now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #264
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The funny part is years ago everyone complained that they had no idea what their usage was. You would get a bill that said "pay this much". So they gave people exactly what they wanted, a breakdown of the costs to run the system, and a charge for your usage. Low and behold, people are bitching about that now.
I don't see why someone who uses very little electricity and has a very small overall footprint on a network should pay as much as someone who heavily taxes a grid.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #265
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see why someone who uses very little electricity and has a very small overall footprint on a network should pay as much as someone who heavily taxes a grid.
Because it costs roughly the same to service everyone. Like all services, some people use roads more, or parks, or transit or whatever. But we all pay for it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #266
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A big portion of the fees and distribution are tied to usage. The meter broke a few years back and there was a full month where it recorded 0 kWh usage. The delivery charge ended up only being about $16.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #267
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I know this is titled Enmax Bills, but is anyone out there with ATCO for the gas/electricity? Right now they seem to be on the cheaper end of the majors (Enmax, Direct, Atco). I've been with Enmax (electricity) and Direct (gas) in the past, but considering a bundle under ATCO.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #268
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So I know this is titled Enmax Bills, but is anyone out there with ATCO for the gas/electricity? Right now they seem to be on the cheaper end of the majors (Enmax, Direct, Atco). I've been with Enmax (electricity) and Direct (gas) in the past, but considering a bundle under ATCO.
I'm with ATCO, but jumped on the 3/3/3 deal. Been great so far.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #269
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Holy snapping arseholes. Just got my Enmax bill, 13.4 cents/kWh for Dec 16 - Jan 19. Nothing like your power costs doubling month to month. Think I will swing over to the locked in rate too.
Stayed on EasyMax Floating (partially on a hunch, partially on laziness), Jan 20-Feb 14 - 3.6 cents/kWh. So I'm still averaging a bit over the fixed price for the year, but man what a swing month to month in power costs.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #270
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on Atco, and always pay by credit card. Question - the enmax website says you can pay your energy bill by credit card

1) are there fees for this?
2) does it let you pay the whole bill on cc - ie including water/sewer/garbage etc?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #271
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I'm on Atco, and always pay by credit card. Question - the enmax website says you can pay your energy bill by credit card

2) does it let you pay the whole bill on cc - ie including water/sewer/garbage etc?
We pay enmax by cc
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #272
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question - the enmax website says you can pay your energy bill by credit card

No fees. And yes, I pay all those together.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #273
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Holy snapping arseholes. Just got my Enmax bill, 13.4 cents/kWh for Dec 16 - Jan 19. Nothing like your power costs doubling month to month. Think I will swing over to the locked in rate too.
What was your bill at the same time in 2018/19?

The pool price for electricity was up 10% for 2019.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #274
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No fees and the whole bill gets charged in one big transaction.

One of my credit cards is supposed to give me 2% cashback for recurring bill payments, but for some reason Enmax doesn't count as one. Even though it totally is one.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #275
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
No fees and the whole bill gets charged in one big transaction.

One of my credit cards is supposed to give me 2% cashback for recurring bill payments, but for some reason Enmax doesn't count as one. Even though it totally is one.
I spoke to an Enmax rep about this last year; he explained that they've negotiated a deal with all the credit card companies to not be in the "recurring payment" category, even though thats what it is for most people. By doing this they pay a lower rate for each transaction. If they couldnt avoid being in this category he said they wouldnt be able to accept credit cards as their costs would be too high.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 04:29 AM   #276
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, I get why its annoying to people but the fact is energy and gas is really cheap in Alberta, it's the infrastructure that costs the money.

No different than if you got a similiar price breakdown on say, lettuce. The actual lettuce is the cheapest part, you're paying for the shipping and grocery store overhead
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #277
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I spoke to an Enmax rep about this last year; he explained that they've negotiated a deal with all the credit card companies to not be in the "recurring payment" category, even though thats what it is for most people. By doing this they pay a lower rate for each transaction. If they couldnt avoid being in this category he said they wouldnt be able to accept credit cards as their costs would be too high.
That makes sense - kind of what I figured. I have a different card that gives me 1.75% across the board that I put Enmax on, so I'm only out 0.25% for this injustice.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #278
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Meh, I get why its annoying to people but the fact is energy and gas is really cheap in Alberta, it's the infrastructure that costs the money.

No different than if you got a similiar price breakdown on say, lettuce. The actual lettuce is the cheapest part, you're paying for the shipping and grocery store overhead
According to that logic:
One head of lettuce is $1.00
Two = $1.10
Three = $1.20
etc.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #279
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because the infrastructure needs to be ready in case you leave and someone replaces you with 2, 5, 10 times the load.

The service doesn't matter if you use 2kwh/day or 200 - the cost to maintain is the same.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #280
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Because the infrastructure needs to be ready in case you leave and someone replaces you with 2, 5, 10 times the load.

The service doesn't matter if you use 2kwh/day or 200 - the cost to maintain is the same.
That's bull####. Someone who taxes the grid far less should pay less.