Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
why brew at home, when professional baristas are on every third street corner looking to provide you with $6 of pure coffee goodness daily?
I can make much better coffee at home and I don't have to stand in a line for 20 minutes during the morning rush.

Not that I don't enjoy grabbing a coffee with a friend here and there, but if you rule out the terrible sludge they churn out at Starbucks and Tim Hortons and dozens of others you now have very little to choose from for a decent coffee in town.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #22
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a bump here, but our single cup coffee maker is starting to become too expensive. Already have an Aeropress, but wondering if anybody uses a moka pot at all? Any thoughts on these?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

mediocre. Good in a pinch, but your aeropress is better.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a moka... it's ok for making some just ok really strong coffee.. it has it's uses, but I primarily stick with my aeropress. No real comparison between the two cups.
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingchina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay. That's good to know. I am just looking for something that doesn't take a lot of work. Hoping to be able to prep everything the night before and when I wake up it's 95% ready to go.

I really like my Nespresso, but for two daily coffee drinkers the cost is adding up, and it sucks that there are no reliable Vertuoline pod hacks yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 10:56 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to go all the way with drip, the Krupps I got from Costco is fantastic. 2 timers(one for weekdays, one for weekend) is a nice option. It gets the water hotter than most drips. I always set it up at night for 6 cups in the morning(10 on weekends). Easy to clean.

Otherwise you could just do a pour over or french press. Not automated, but will make a good cup without to much fuss.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #27
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We've had a Jura Ena 5 for the past 9 years. Still going strong. The Jura is pricey, but has been awesome. Will replace it with something similar when it dies. We use the aeropress and a hand grinder for camping.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #28
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^
Yeah, getting a Jura has been a revolution in our house. I was lucky enough to find an Impressa F50 at less than half price on kijiji, and I've had a couple self-proclaimed coffee snobs tell me my Americanos are among the best they've had.

I like being able to buy whole bean coffee and have the machine grind them on demand. I also like having a powder doser so I can make decafs without swapping out beans. Also, cappuccinos and lattes turn out great, and the grinds are easily available for composting too.

There are a couple additional maintenance expenses though - filters and cleaning tablets.

Overall, not sure what operating cost would be compared to others. More expensive than drip, but way better than other single-serve machines, I expect, but with coffee that will rival any coffee shop in town.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #29
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy has one that grinds and brews his coffee. It's brilliant.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #30
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We have this cuisinart that has the built in grinder. Love it. Only downside is sometimes you need to help feed the beans and clean the hopper.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Aut...er+-+DGB900BCC
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a DeLong hi Magnifica for Christmas last year and it makes the best coffee out there. It grinds beans and makes expresso shots or you can use ground coffee a shot at a time. We use ground coffee for late decaffeinated. The only down side is these machines break. I've already had it repaired once under warranty.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #32
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Technivorm moccamaster. Changed my life. Now every other drip coffee tastes like crap.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bonavita Wide Base Porcelain Immersion Dripper

https://www.amazon.ca/Bonavita-Wide-...=bonavita+drip

This is where my current coffee journey is at, prefer this over the aeropress.

A good grinder with 1-2 week old coffee and you are gold.
cupofjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #34
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I got a DeLong hi Magnifica for Christmas last year and it makes the best coffee out there. It grinds beans and makes expresso shots or you can use ground coffee a shot at a time. We use ground coffee for late decaffeinated. The only down side is these machines break. I've already had it repaired once under warranty.
I love these; my parents have one at both of their places and it makes awesome espresso, lattes, etc.

I bought a competitor, Krug, that is an auto style too. It grinds, packs, brews, and ejects all internally. I like it, however I find that I like the Delongi better.

When I find a Magnifica on sale, I will be listing my Krug up on here.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just killed a morning watching Seattle Coffee Gear videos on Youtube.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am starting to feel inadequate, lol. Some great machines listed here
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #37
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love good coffee and, when I decided to stop paying $5 for a questionable quality cup of espresso, I had researched this to death. After reading the collective wisdom database from coffee forums, I came to these three important conclusions:

1. Don't buy a grinder/maker combo machine, unless you're into commercial ones which cost many many many thousands of dollars;
  2. Coffee grinder is more important than a coffee maker; invest in the best one you can afford;
  3. In selecting a coffee maker, choose those ones within your budget that have separated boilers for coffee and steam.
Guys at Fratello here have been helpful (I buy my coffee beans there); but their equipment prices are quite a bit higher than online pricing, not by a few bucks, but 25-30% higher.

I've used the setup below for two years now, fairly satisfied. Grinder is super excellent. Coffee maker is good for the money, but not great. The great ones cost triple what I had paid for this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Well, I just killed a morning watching Seattle Coffee Gear videos on Youtube.
Been there....whole weekends drip away.

Ended up getting a Gaggia Classic and Baratza Encore grinder a few years ago after much research. About the cheapest entry point for "real" gear. Enjoying an americano right now, actually...The grinder is borderline for a good espresso, but I've tweaked it and got it working fairly consistently.

The thing I like about Baratza is they design everything to be user replaceable, and sell all the parts. They don't want you to throw it away when something breaks, so you know you are investing in a quality product that has parts available. Kinda rare in this day and age. Gaggia Classics have been around for decades so lots of parts for them, too.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #39
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the moka pot would be a good fit for americanos?

I have learned today that the inverted method of using the Aeropress would have improved my early attempts at using it. Was losing way to much water through the filter before I even got to the point of stirring.

The Breville Infuser looks like a nice machine as well.

The wife and I still have around 2 months worth of Nespresso pods before deciding on the next step.

Any machines to stay away from? Or better selections / pricing available from states?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #40
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought the moka pot would be a good fit for americanos?

I have learned today that the inverted method of using the Aeropress would have improved my early attempts at using it. Was losing way to much water through the filter before I even got to the point of stirring.

The Breville Infuser looks like a nice machine as well.

The wife and I still have around 2 months worth of Nespresso pods before deciding on the next step.

Any machines to stay away from? Or better selections / pricing available from states?
Yes inverted is how I do it. Quite a bit easier! Can YouTube inverted method by not so ancient Chinese secrets. I follow his method pretty closely. This way you can pour half water, stir it up then pour the rest afterwards. The stir is key as when you pour the rest of the water in you'll notice the krema

I still have a good moka pot which is a bit bigger than the aeropress. Good for making two cups. Surprised aeropress hasn't come out with a bigger model (why not!)

Last edited by calumniate; 11-06-2016 at 04:41 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote