Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #201
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I noticed I was on the floating rate last month for electricity which was over 8 cents, so switched to a fixed rate of 6 cents, and apparently I can switch once per month. I asked why anyone would be on floating if they can easily switch to a lower fixed rate (then switch back if floating goes back down) and he said most people don't check their rates often enough to notice
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #202
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I noticed I was on the floating rate last month for electricity which was over 8 cents, so switched to a fixed rate of 6 cents, and apparently I can switch once per month. I asked why anyone would be on floating if they can easily switch to a lower fixed rate (then switch back if floating goes back down) and he said most people don't check their rates often enough to notice
Floating rate is generally cheaper. A lot of people are capped at 6.8 so the difference between that and the 5.89 fixed 1 year rate probably doesn’t matter to them.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #203
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else get a letter form Enmax preparing you for the incoming bill? Pretty much a warning that due to Feb temps, it's gonna hurt. Lots. So that was nice of them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #204
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bill for the first half wasn't that bad actually. I topped up the attic insulation a while ago and I think this is the first real cold snap we've had since then. Also sealed that damned attic hatch like crazy.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #205
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone else get a letter form Enmax preparing you for the incoming bill? Pretty much a warning that due to Feb temps, it's gonna hurt. Lots. So that was nice of them.
Got the letter, and saw it on the news. We received our bill the other day and it was not nearly as bad as expected, even with the increased electricity cost. It was actually less than our bill in December and not much more than January. Looking back over the past few years it was pretty much in line with what it normally is.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #206
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
$0.105/kwh on variable I hear. And $3.75/GJ on variable gas.

Woof.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #207
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Already have my bill for half of February, went down about $20 from last year. Not expecting a huge jump on the next bill either.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #208
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine shows up tomorrow, should be full Feb I think. Fortunately I replaced(installed) insulation in my bathroom wall when I renovated it, so there's about 40 sq ft of wall that isn't heat-transparent. Yay!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #209
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mine actually wasn't bad (1st part of Feb) but I didn't get a letter. Next one will probably be the highest of the year for most
Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #210
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the email but the bill I just received, well up some, is not that bad. I ended up at $370 for a 2 floor house (that includes everything - gas, electricity, water, carts, etc). I'm usually in the lower 300s.

I think the next bill will be high too - or does this current one capture most of February?

Good idea on comparing with last year's bill. I'll have to hop on the site and see.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #211
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
My bill for the first half wasn't that bad actually. I topped up the attic insulation a while ago and I think this is the first real cold snap we've had since then. Also sealed that damned attic hatch like crazy.
I need to do this. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #212
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blowing in attic insulation is pretty easy, you can rent the machines at Home Depot. It's a 2 person job - one person feeding the machine, one person in the attic blowing the new stuff in. It takes a couple hours. I did this with a friend who has an older home and I keep meaning to ask if it's made a difference in the heating costs
Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #213
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I need to do this. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?
I had someone top it up. I looked at the bill and it cost me $700+GST. I had them put some extra along the north side just to keep it from moving around during high winds.

I sealed the attic hatch myself.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #214
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, before they came I went up into the attic and sealed a bunch of holes with some fire resistant spray foam. You can actually feel a draft coming up from some of them.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #215
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
I got the email but the bill I just received, well up some, is not that bad. I ended up at $370 for a 2 floor house (that includes everything - gas, electricity, water, carts, etc). I'm usually in the lower 300s.

I think the next bill will be high too - or does this current one capture most of February?

Good idea on comparing with last year's bill. I'll have to hop on the site and see.
Your bill/read dates are on the individual sections of your bill, everyone's is different.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #216
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

Is it common for a two story home to have an all-in monthly Enmax bill (gas, electricity, water, carts, etc.) around the $310-$360 mark? My wife and I try to be as stingy as possible when it comes to resource uses but $300 seems a lot. It looks like a majority of the bills are service fees but I don't know.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #217
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's about what mine is monthly. $265-$330ish, bungalow, 2 adults.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #218
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

My consumption was up only 100kwh from last February. I actually used more power last summer because of the air conditioning.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #219
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about gas?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #220
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Is it common for a two story home to have an all-in monthly Enmax bill (gas, electricity, water, carts, etc.) around the $310-$360 mark? My wife and I try to be as stingy as possible when it comes to resource uses but $300 seems a lot. It looks like a majority of the bills are service fees but I don't know.
You're not going to get a true average if you are only using the "two story home" as a benchmark. There are far too many variables to take into account.

My average bill is about $230 for a two story home.