Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #21
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
The plan looks ok until you add the 10$ for calling the USA...and thats limited to 1000 minutes. Seems like thats how they get you at Koodo, add-ons.
Just call using whatsapp! It works great
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #22
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Just call using whatsapp! It works great
I'd love to.. Hopefully one day, but VPs don't like calling on WhatsApp too much.. Plus it works like #### in the country.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #23
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just never use Bell, ever. They may have a decent network but they are lying scum.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #24
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been with Freedom Mobile (Wind) for years now and I couldn't be happier with everything. Certain things have changed for the worse ever since Shaw picked them up but other things like network quality have also improved a lot with Shaw's increased spending on network quality.

Their network is approx 85-90% of the quality of the Big 3 within their "Freedom" Network but generally speaking 30-50% cheaper than other comparable plans. Keep in mind that the savings are each and every month. Some people brush off the savings of $60 a month for a couple as nothing but its $3600 in 5 years, not chump change, more like a European vacation.

I am lucky in the sense I had a Shaw Friends and Family code (35% off plans) so I pay $32.50 for their grandfathered Everywhere 50 which includes.

Home Network
8GB full-speed data (6GB + 2GB bonus)
Unlimited talk to Canada and the U.S.
Unlimited text, picture and video messaging to Canada and the U.S.
Unlimited global text, picture and video messaging
World Saver: International calling from 1˘/min to over 200 countries

Away Network (in Canada and the U.S.)
1GB full-speed data
2400 minutes of talk to Canada and the U.S.
Unlimited global text

Additional Plan Features
Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
Voicemail+

The big savings with the above mentioned plan when it was offered was the roaming package in the US included. That is a savings every time you travel to the US. With a lot of the plans now with Freedom and even the other carriers, it's always the same "Roam like Home for $5, $7,$10 a day" etc
Multiple trips a year and the savings really add up in my opinion.

Like I said before, they have a fairly good network and it's always improving and the cost savings can be significant when all things are considered. This all being said, if my career or my job needed to have a vastly superior network quality because a missed call, email, or internet speed etc cost me a sale or a client, I would think differently perhaps. A missed call or a text from a friend once in a while isn't that important for some but the same for a client or a sale where thousands in commission might be at stake, I would think about it.

Just my $.02 on a long post
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #25
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wife needs a new phone (like going Samsung Note 10). Currently with Freedom, but she inexplicably still has a number of dropped calls. We're also tired of "roaming" when outside of Calgary.
Mainly stuck with Freedom for the monthly rates of plans.

Any updated recommendations on providers to consider and what plans to look at? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #26
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been with Koodo for 2 yrs now and still happy with them. I currently have a BYOD plan. I check the self serve section from time to time as they have decent promotional offers that pop up. Started with 3 Gig of data, unltd mins Canada wide and unltd global texts for $55/mnth. Right now I have 6 gig, 500 daytime minutes Canada wide and unltd global texts. Sacrificed unltd daytime minutes to 500 daytime for the 6 gig of data. Very worthwhile tradeoff IMO. Still get unltd evenings and weekends.

Price has been the same every month.

If you want dirt cheap, check Public Mobile. Online only, no stores but they also run off the Telus network.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-22-2019 at 06:13 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Been happy with Freedom for a while, but a big part of that is the $37.50 / month I pay on the Friends and Family plan for 10GB. At first it was a bit frustrating (some missed calls and texts, some spots that were iffy reception) but they've improved for me over time.

Was looking at Public Mobile as I want a cheap plan for my kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #28
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recently moved from freedom after 10 years of no loyalty promotions.

Currently with Lucky on a BYOD
https://www.luckymobile.ca/

There's a few promos that stack too. I'd love to be your referral if you wanna PM me.
$20 Dollarama promotion: https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/p...ass_050119_ADC
$25 Referral promotion valid before month end: https://www.luckymobile.ca/offers/pr..._BAN_061819_AD
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Check out Public Mobile as well. Same coverage as Telus.

You'll notice they have "3G plans" which are actually 4G connection capped at 3Mbps. I've been with them for about a year now ($45/6.5GB) and don't notice much difference with the speed.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been with Koodo for a few years now, also BYOD, migrated from a Bell 6gb legacy plan when Koodo had 5gb plans, then got the 10gb plan December a couple years back now and have clung to it. Will take a legit unlimited option to get me to pay more than the $60/month I do now for unlimited everything and 10gb of data.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been shopping around for months now and IMO there are no great options and it's a landscape of picking your poison as the big three companies have done a fantastic job of colluding to keeping prices as high as possible for the consumer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #32
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've been shopping around for months now and IMO there are no great options and it's a landscape of picking your poison as the big three companies have done a fantastic job of colluding to keeping prices as high as possible for the consumer.
Agreed! Thought I was missing something.

Think we'll go with Telus for her (she wants the Samsung Note 10 and they are exclusive dealer for that phone and seemingly only thru Best Buy, or a Samsung store, if we had one).

Anyone with any guidance on a plan to get on Telus. I'm admittedly at a loss coming from Freedom plans, to trying to even understand what is being offered.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #33
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Manitoba has always been blessed with better cell phone plans, but I sure got a slap in the face when I went shopping around today. The best deal they could muster up is one that has me paying $40 per month more than I currently pay. Bell purchasing MTS has caused our plans to tend towards what the rest of the nation pays.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #34
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Currently with Public Mobile and I pay $36/m for 5GB and unlimited Canada calling. The speed is only 3G but I don't notice any difference
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #35
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Renewed our contract with rogers and I am shocked that all of the major companies are able to advertise the "get a iphone for $0".
Then in store, they explain you are going to pay them their rate + $30 a month pays off the phone. The phone is discounted from $1000 to $720

I walked out with 2 of the Iphone XR for the wife and I and then a few days later heard the same promo for the Iphone XS so I called back and instead of that phone being $1,500 it is also discounted and one would pay $40 more a month to pay it off over the course of the term.

Just seems like something many would be caught up on thinking they got the phone for $0 and spend $130 a month on their plan. I know it works out to the same thing but to advertise 0$ seems wrong!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not really any different than what car dealers have been doing for years with lease ads saying you can lease a new 2019 model at $250 monthly + tax. You walk in looking for that deal and they tell you sure you can have it but you need to put $5k down.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #37
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Freedom has the iPhone XR for absolute $0. zero down, and zero paid for your freedom tab. on $75+ monthly plans for 24 months anyway, which is at least $30 a month less than the other guys.

Rogers has the XR for $0 when you pay the 30 tab for 24 months, but if you pay the 20 tab instead they charge you $200 upfront for the phone, which works out to a better deal??? pay $200 now but save $240 over the next 2 years ($10/month)

I've been with Freedom for about 7 years now and pay $50/month for 10gigs and have away/roaming data and minutes also. I have no complaints, but I rarely leave the city and when I do I don't mind paying maybe $5-10 for a weeks vacation. They also don't give me a headache when I try to figure out their deals as the big 3 do, the big 3 'deals' are usually just juggling your own money around.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #38
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know how Rogers can justify charging the same price for their plans as Bell or Telus. Their network and coverage is horrible.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #39
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BYOD device for the win, every time. Gives me the freedom to jump onto the deals (like the one I posted above) with no hassles and saves me far more in the long run. People are going to pay out the ass for a new iphone, or galaxy 10 or note or whatever, but seem to forget the flagship phones that are much cheaper, equally spec'd, and don't tie you to something when something better comes out.

I've done BYOD since the Galaxy Nexus days, and can't think of how much I've saved by always having plans that are 40-50 cheaper per month. I've upgraded phones at times out of "shiny toy" syndrome for sure, but when the phones themselves are cheaper (I could have bought 2x Oneplus 6 256gb/8gb phones for the cost of a 10s), it still works in my favor. No tabs, no contracts, just sweet sweet cheap loaded cell plan, and when someone else drops a crazy one day only customer shift deal, I'll be right there to take it
Old 08-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #40
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Completely agree. Buying a phone ourtright just seems to make more sense to me. Going by the numbers in the post Travis made, the total cost of that phone over a 2 yr plan is $3840 (130/mnth x 24 + $720 for the phone.)

Where as if you buy a phone for say $1500, but use the $55/mnth BYOD plan I have with Koodo, it works out to $2820 ($1500 for the phone + $55/mnth x24) That's basically $1000 less and that's assuming you repeat after 2 yrs is up. It gets even cheaper if you keep the phone you bought ourtright for more than 2 yrs.

Now granted, not sure what's in that $130 plan but can't imagine it's worth the extra $1000.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post: