Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #81
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
MacInnis was a lousy Defenseman??

1274 points... 1416 games...

213 of his 340 goals with Calgary

609 of his 934 assist with Calgary

A 100+ point season as a Dman

+242 for Calgary +373 alltime...

1 minus season (his 23rd... -1)

1 Conn Smythe
1 James Norris (never winning one with the flames somehow)

Yep... lousy...
Yup, that's right; I said he was a lousy defenceman. Without the shot he was nothing.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #82
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I live in a city with several pro sports team and the Flames just strike me as being not that fan friendly or maybe just simply under invested in the marketing/PR side of the house. The in game entertainment is pretty tired too. The sweaters...

Is that par for Canadian NHL teams?
From a marketing, branding and design POV they don't place a ton of value on that stuff. Back about 20 years the design agency I was apart of worked for the Flames, and they nickle and dimed us to death. And their general sense for what made good design and branding was awful.

And we still see that play out all over the place. The jersey designs are well below average, even when it would be oh so easy to create something really amazing. Their banners are awful. Every thing they do from a design POV is really poor in my view.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #83
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

12, 14 and 34 should all be retired.

I recall Kipper mentioning around middle of last season that he was planning a visit soon and that got many speculating. Whatever happened to that visit?
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #84
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
12, 14 and 34 should all be retired.

I recall Kipper mentioning around middle of last season that he was planning a visit soon and that got many speculating. Whatever happened to that visit?
Probably in Kipper fashion he was here but no one noticed and he left through the backdoor.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #85
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I think Theoren Fleury should have his number retired. He should also be in the HOF.

I know he wasn't a great guy when he was on the team. But redemption counts. If it didn't, life would be a lot more meaningless. These honours are about realizing role models. Not all role models have straight paths, in fact the more relatable ones often don't.

Hopefully he continues to make a positive impact. I think he'll get it in, as long as he doesn't do anything too silly in the next few years.

Yep. Kipper and Iggy should also have their numbers retired. And the "Forever a Flame" is silly.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #86
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Yup, that's right; I said he was a lousy defenceman. Without the shot he was nothing.
Absurd take.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #87
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
From a marketing, branding and design POV they don't place a ton of value on that stuff. Back about 20 years the design agency I was apart of worked for the Flames, and they nickle and dimed us to death. And their general sense for what made good design and branding was awful.

And we still see that play out all over the place. The jersey designs are well below average, even when it would be oh so easy to create something really amazing. Their banners are awful. Every thing they do from a design POV is really poor in my view.
Such a shame. They have fantastic logo to work with IMO.

Like his moves or not, they hired a GM who certainly appears to be a thinker and risk taker. Sounds like the business side of the house could use someone similar.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #88
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Absurd take.
Yeah you don't really carve out a career like his by being a one trick pony. What an odd thing to say
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #89
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was a plus player for 22 out of 23 years played; +\- isn’t everything but to have the + seasons he did during the goal scoring that happened through the mid 80’s early 90’s before the deadpuck era is pretty incredible and doesn’t support your notion that he was a ‘lousy’ Defenseman. I don’t know many career +373 ‘lousy’ Dman if any at all.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #90
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think not retiring 14 says more about the Flames as an organization than it does about Fleury.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #91
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe someone could ask at one of the next STH sessions flat out why they don't get rid of the" Forever a Flame" crap, and retire Theo's jersey? Do the Flames' even realize/care that nobody likes this "Forever a Flame" tribute?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #92
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Great post.

It clearly comes down to leadership that is clearly out of touch, cheap, and apathetic to things like good design. It’s how they’ve been doing it for decades, so there seems to be no reason to change even though the tastes and expectations of fans have evolved immensely. It used to be that people consumed what they were given, but now with everyone being exposed to the entire world, it's easier to see what they are missing out on.

Design is a non-priority with the Flames. We saw it with CalgaryNext presentation, we see it with lacklustre jerseys, comically bad arena banners, etc…mediocrity is the norm.

I think this design apathy has been one of Ken King's biggest failings. I don’t expect things to change until guys like him are replaced.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #93
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The number is effectively retired. The Flames don't have it in them to ask someone else to wear #14 and no Flames player would willingly choose the number. I'm sure as far as Theo is concerned that is satisfaction enough - albeit I'm also sure he would be honoured to have his jersey lifted to the rafters.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #94
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Great post.

It clearly comes down to leadership that is clearly out of touch, cheap, and apathetic to things like good design. It’s how they’ve been doing it for decades, so there seems to be no reason to change even though the tastes and expectations of fans have evolved immensely. It used to be that people consumed what they were given, but now with everyone being exposed to the entire world, it's easier to see what they are missing out on.

Design is a non-priority with the Flames. We saw it with CalgaryNext presentation, we see it with lacklustre jerseys, comically bad arena banners, etc…mediocrity is the norm.

I think this design apathy has been one of Ken King's biggest failings. I don’t expect things to change until guys like him are replaced.
Same with the Stampeders too, so it’s clear what the common denominator is, and somebody is obsessed with black.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #95
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

drinking, man was parched
cocaine, he just liked the smell
water under bridge
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haiku For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #96
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are not a tremendous amount of memories I hold for specific NHL moments, but Theo is involved in two of the few forever etched in my mind.

I remember Theo picking the puck up of a brutal Messier pass attempt and the slide that followed (part of it being I tried to slide across our living room floor to mimic him as my parents got home and laughed at me).

I also remember his shootout goal in that preseason game I watched on a tiny computer monitor.

Dude deserves to have his number retired. He was a legend in the Flaming C.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #97
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Where’s “This post is terrible“ when we need him/her?
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #98
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 needs to be retired. End of story. Every time I’ve met Theo he’s been really nice to me. I don’t care if he was a jerk 20 years ago.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #99
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's talk about another player.

Mark Giordano everyone agrees is a leader both on and off the ice. Model long-time Flames employee, very likely a 1-team man. So when he finishes his career in a few years, do you retire his number?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #100
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Let's talk about another player.

Mark Giordano everyone agrees is a leader both on and off the ice. Model long-time Flames employee, very likely a 1-team man. So when he finishes his career in a few years, do you retire his number?
no. he's forever a flame.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote