- Smith lets up terrible winning goal
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. Tatar goal wasn't great either.

Good point on Neal vs Brouwer. Just simply acknowledging the need to be better makes it easier to take.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Tatar goal was soft. It's the type of goal where the puck is shot at him and it goes through him between his arm and body. Part of the problem is that he's on the goal line as if he's out a foot the puck hits him in the stomach like most Flames shots on opposing goaltenders that are better positioned. Flames would have scores six goals last night if Price was letting that kind of shot through.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-16-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the Tatar goal was soft. It's the type of goal where the puck is show at him and it goes through him between his arm and body. Part of the problem is that he's on the goal line as if he's out a foot the puck hits him in the stomach like most Flames shots on opposing goaltenders that are better positioned. Flames would have scores six goals last night if Price was letting that kind of shot through.
That's my read too - why was he so far back in his net! It wasn't a soft goal from a reaction POV...it was soft because he wasn't in position.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Can't disagree ...

He now has a 30.8% quality start ratio, only Matt Murray behind him at 30%.

David Rittich is 83.3%, second in the league behind Miller for goaltenders that have 6 or more starts on the season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That's my read too - why was he so far back in his net! It wasn't a soft goal from a reaction POV...it was soft because he wasn't in position.
My brother is a goaltender (and a goaltender nerd actually) and he just hates Smith's positioning. Says he got away with that for his career by having lightning quick reaction times but he's not as quick as he used to be and the change in goaltending equipment is exposing him.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Can't disagree ...

He now has a 30.8% quality start ratio, only Matt Murray behind him at 30%.

David Rittich is 83.3%, second in the league behind Miller for goaltenders that have 6 or more starts on the season.
It's probably time to find out if Rittich can sustain those numbers over a higher workload. I get that there's a lot of outrage about Smith but the only thing more worrisome about his play is if Rittich faceplants like he did last season when given the opportunity to start. If that were to happen we would be staring at 2015/16 all over again with no options in net.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

He definitely looked like he was starting to rebuild the foundation last night. He had a few lucky breaks (Hanifin making the save to keep it 2-1 as Smith tried to get back in net comes to mind), but from where he was coming from this was what we were hoping to start seeing.

It wasn't the 2-2 goal either. As much as I think the 2nd goal is not likely one a top goalie is kicking out to the slot... he'd played well, and had earned enough rope back to believe that they only needed to solve Price once more to easily take this. But then Sportsnet showed the replay of Smith diving to make the save as they cut to commercial, and I realized "ah crap, 3 won't be enough" (4:03 of the recap below). He looked like a waterpolo goalie making a diving save... halfway down the net. It was 2-2, and Smith had made quite a few notable saves up to that point, but he was garbage the rest of the night.

Last edited by Split98; 11-16-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Too far back in his net......not in position........Sounds like something a goalie coach should be working on with him......I know, broken record....coach can only do so much; Smith has an attitude...etc....Can't get rid of Smith, Not sure if Rittich is a 1A, prospects floundering; why not bring in a former NHL goalie as a short-term consultant, like Oates in LA for their power play? former teammate Dwayne Roloson maybe? Just for a chat.

Maybe Smith does need a week off like Price had. Start in Vegas next Friday.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

the funny things is, IF Smith didnt #### the bed we would have been saying that Price did the same for the Habs in a loss. His 2nd goal was pretty bad positioning as well. All we needed was average goaltending to come out on top last night.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see much of the game, but based on the shot count and the reactions on CP, I thought the even strength high danger chances would have been even more tilted in the Flames favor than they were (12-9). Even so, in the NHL you need to win games 2-1 somewhat regularly and it seems as though the Flames played the exact type of game that would get you to that score. Except for the most important position on the ice.

I am all for getting onboard the Rittich train, but if Smith can't play better than he has, Flames have a real problem.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: