Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #2141
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As is Laura Croft and the Temple of Osirus.

Free until Monday: https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/...friends-family
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #2142
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went to pick up Doom at my local Walmart and they got one copy for PS4 and one for Xbox One. Way to drop the ball Walmart!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #2143
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Started my first campaign in Star Wars Empire at war Rise of the Rebellion. Of course, I play the evil Empire.

It looks so amazing and even at the easiest difficulty is still pretty tough.

I started out by trying to consolidate neutral systems before I take on the Rebellion and other factions like Black Sun.

Just because you have a large fleet of Star Destroyers doesn't guarantee anything, if you don't have the right mix of support ships your going to take really devestating losses. I sent a fleet of 5 IMP SD II's with a couple of carriers and a Tector Destroyer backing it into a hive of Pirates, and I was sitting there an hour later after losing 3 of my Star Destroyers swearing like mad. It was a victor but an expensive one. Then I landed my troops a bunch of elite storm troopers and 3 Walkers. Should be a cake walk, but the enemy started using hit and fades and started chopping be to pieces. So I had to land faster recon units to scout ahead, and bring in artillary. I won the day but my fleet was basically crippled and my ground forces bled white. Its going to be worse when I fight hardened Rebels.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #2144
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doom 64 is now available on modern consoles. Never played it before but I've heard it's great.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #2145
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Lineup around the building at my closest EB Games for Doom and Animal Crossing this morning. But everyone was standing about three feet apart.
I find it wild that people will still line up for the retail release of a game in 2020. During a pandemic too. Like, they know ow they could’ve been playing since 10PM last night without going out anywhere, right?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #2146
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I find it wild that people will still line up for the retail release of a game in 2020. During a pandemic too. Like, they know ow they could’ve been playing since 10PM last night without going out anywhere, right?
Alot of people still prefer physical copies over digital. But yeah, I'd never stand in line for a game. I'd just have it shipped to me.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #2147
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Literally nobody is unaware of the fact that digital downloads exist. And literally nobody is breaking important news when they note that digital downloads exist. For myself, I loathe the idea of moving to a world where we're paying $80+to rent games. I will always choose physical over digital where it's possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #2148
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a suggestion if you’re wanting to preorder any big upcoming games, lock on a preorder now. With the dollar plummeting they might try to go up to $90 for new releases.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #2149
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oof. That will become a psychological barrier for a lot of people.

Can't wait to see what the PS5 will cost... not that I'll be buying it day one.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #2150
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I decided a while back that I won't buy most games until they hit at least a 40$ or less price point. I have enough of a backlog and generally don't mind waiting. I've broken my rule on a couple releases I really wanted to play but for the most part it works really well to save some money.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #2151
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

$90? Ouch. Back to pirating
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #2152
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

couple of hours into Doom Eternal now and it does not #### around, makes the 2016 Doom look tame in comparison. I was debating on whether to to start on Ultra Violence or Hurt Me Plenty, glad I chose the latter because it's plenty unforgiving. I imagine a lot of kids who grew up playing slower paced FPS games like CoD or Halo are going to have a tough time with this one
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #2153
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
couple of hours into Doom Eternal now and it does not #### around, makes the 2016 Doom look tame in comparison. I was debating on whether to to start on Ultra Violence or Hurt Me Plenty, glad I chose the latter because it's plenty unforgiving. I imagine a lot of kids who grew up playing slower paced FPS games like CoD or Halo are going to have a tough time with this one
How’s the gameplay? Watching a bit of online stuff the constant flickering of opponents and then close combat finisher every single time looked like it could get really old really fast.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #2154
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Did you guys try the FF7 remake demo?

I liked it.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #2155
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wonder when they're going to introduce stealth packages like the F-22, the F-35 the F-117. It'd be cool to see how the game interprets those. Tho I doubt anyone has a computer at home powerful enough to replicate the helmet features, and simulate data linking.
I want more Cold War stuff. F4 is apparently in the works but a Voodoo and Starfighter would be sweet too.

Picked this up today

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #2156
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
How’s the gameplay? Watching a bit of online stuff the constant flickering of opponents and then close combat finisher every single time looked like it could get really old really fast.
Have you played DOOM 2016? If you haven't you can usually find it super cheap and it's a great game in it's own right. The entire point of the finishers is to keep you fighting and not running away to grab health. You only need to do them if you're low on health or ammo. There are plenty of times I'll just mow down an entire area with the minigun.

At first I was a little irritated by the low ammo count but that limitation really makes encounters interesting and forces you to use all your weapons and abilities. And holy ####... those Slayer Gates are crazy intense.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #2157
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Have you played DOOM 2016? If you haven't you can usually find it super cheap and it's a great game in it's own right. The entire point of the finishers is to keep you fighting and not running away to grab health. You only need to do them if you're low on health or ammo. There are plenty of times I'll just mow down an entire area with the minigun.

At first I was a little irritated by the low ammo count but that limitation really makes encounters interesting and forces you to use all your weapons and abilities. And holy ####... those Slayer Gates are crazy intense.
Oh man - I just did my first slayer gate and had a blast. Lot's of moments where you go from no health, to popping off a glory kill to get health, flame thrower combo to get armour and chainsaw to get full ammo, and start feeling like a bad ass, only to have the next wave hit and experience it all again.

Really fun game so far.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #2158
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nioh 2 is punishingly difficult. I finished Nioh and don't recall the difficulty level being so high.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #2159
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doom Eternal is so damned good. I thought I had it with shooters. But man, what a great game this is. So fast, so smooth. And so gorgeous. And I'm playing on an Xbox One X poverty box.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #2160
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
And I'm playing on an Xbox One X poverty box.
An Xbox One X is the most powerful console you can get right now...what makes it a "poverty box"?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote