Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #3921
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
Blair and Barker???

Man, tough crowd.
I don't care if these guys are legends in Toronto. The two of them together make for bad radio. It's extremely monotone like the same person talking to himself for hours. I try to listen at times but it's so hard to remain engaged to anything they are discussing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #3922
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, had completely forgotten about Jeff Blair, and am glad I've been able to do so. He used to be on ruining so many things I listened to regularly and then he took over Prime Time Sports.

Late 2000s was peak sports radio for me with the McCown, Brunt, Kelly (RIP), and guest Friday roundtable.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #3923
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't care if these guys are legends in Toronto. The two of them together make for bad radio. It's extremely monotone like the same person talking to himself for hours. I try to listen at times but it's so hard to remain engaged to anything they are discussing.
I don't think they are Toronto legends. Barker is married to Hazel Mae - so I assume that is why he is there. Blair is just an (ex?) newspaper guy.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #3924
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only major North American sport going on right now is baseball, so of course there is a lot of baseball talk right now? I'm confused that people are upset that sports radio is providing large coverage of the only major sport being played right now.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #3925
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I really disagree. Barker, in particular, is extremely animated when talking about batting stance/structure/pitching, etc.

Like...extremely disagree.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #3926
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't think they are Toronto legends. Barker is married to Hazel Mae - so I assume that is why he is there. Blair is just an (ex?) newspaper guy.
Barker is a really good analyst actually. He's there because his wife interviews some players during the game?

Haha...I don't have a vested interest iBlair or Barker, so to each their own...just really surprized by the takes of some in here. Barker is really good, in particular at explaining the in and outs of actually hitting a baseball...and does it with a ton of enthusiasm.

There's better examples....but here's a clip. I don't find Barker boring at all...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/b...tting-ability/

Last edited by MacFlame; 08-12-2022 at 01:33 PM.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #3927
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to the matter at hand...I can't expect that anyone - podcast or radio "replacement" - could do so without the express involvement, or at least, tolerance of the Flames. What made 960 great to listen to in its heyday was access to players, coaches. GM etc. at random times throughout the day/week/month. Would think this is critical to any success a replacement might want to have.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #3928
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I still find McCown extremely irritating (never understood why he was so popular in the east) but at least he has John Shannon on there to mitigate things.

However, the podcast has some good guests - the episode from Aug 1 actually talks about the decline of sports radio. Toronto focused, but it's a fairly interesting listen, especially for someone like me who has fond memories of listening to Rome in the morning and then Joe Sports and Rob Kerr in the afternoons.
Agree on McCown but not Shannon. Hate him too. The only reason I listened to McCown before was because Brunt was on.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 06:13 PM   #3929
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
The only major North American sport going on right now is baseball, so of course there is a lot of baseball talk right now? I'm confused that people are upset that sports radio is providing large coverage of the only major sport being played right now.
I would much rather hear about the Stampeders.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #3930
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
About the lone positive amidst 960's demise, Sandra Prusina has been excellent for the afternoons. She was away for a few days, but she's done a great job when she's been on.
Yes, Sandra has been great. Agree.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:59 AM   #3931
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Scotty Bowman took the time to understand, appreciate and regularly use them. But we all know Spec & David are smarter than Scotty.
I know a guy who coached under Scotty Bowman and by all accounts, the last decade of his coaching career, he napped all day and strolled into the dressing room minutes before game time clueless as to the game plan his assistants had put together.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #3932
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I know a guy who coached under Scotty Bowman and by all accounts, the last decade of his coaching career, he napped all day and strolled into the dressing room minutes before game time clueless as to the game plan his assistants had put together.
Yeah, he’s so clueless.

He only won 3 Stanley Cups the last decade he coached. What a bum.

Meanwhile his assistants just jumped right onto rocket ships of success after he retired… no wait… by all accounts they did not.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #3933
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don’t know how many folks have been following this but the Hamilton Tiger Cats, LA Kings and San Jose Sharks took their radio rights in house and now have much more control. I assume a number of organizations are watching this closely. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...CFL-Media.aspx

It seems to me this is the way the medium will go eventually.

Last edited by Number 39; 08-14-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Number 39 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #3934
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post
Don’t know how many folks have been following this but the Hamilton Tiger Cats, LA Kings and San Jose Sharks took their radio rights in house and now have much more control. I assume a number of organizations are watching this closely. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...CFL-Media.aspx

The only issue I have with this is that when the people covering the team are employees of the team, objectivity goes out the window.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #3935
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The only issue I have with this is that when the people covering the team are employees of the team, objectivity goes out the window.

Sounds familiar. I don't think you could throw much more objectivity out the window when it comes to the local play by play team.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #3936
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Sounds familiar. I don't think you could throw much more objectivity out the window when it comes to the local play by play team.
That's true I suppose.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:31 AM   #3937
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree with the comment about the loss of objectivity but doubt the teams care much about that. I suspect they would much rather be in complete control of the narrative. It just seems obvious to me that this is the way it will ultimately wind up going. Makes too much sense to me anyways.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #3938
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not sure that local broadcasts aren’t unbiased anywhere. Snet960 and 630Ched aren’t exactly unbiased.

Even Sportsnet tv cheerleads the Oilers so I’m not sure what unbiased looks like in Canadian media.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:26 PM   #3939
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post

Sounds like a good idea.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #3940
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I’m not sure that local broadcasts aren’t unbiased anywhere. Snet960 and 630Ched aren’t exactly unbiased.

Even Sportsnet tv cheerleads the Oilers so I’m not sure what unbiased looks like in Canadian media.
You’d have to have some bias to maintain access to the players.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote