Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #661
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Freedom just put out a bunch of low cost plans to undercut the competition. The new home plans are pretty good for people who don't use a whole lot of data.

New pricing tiers:
  • 250MB, 100 minutes outgoing talk and text, unlimited incoming $15
  • 500MB, unlimited talk and text $25
  • 1TB, $0.05/min talk, unlimited text $25
  • 2TB, unlimited talk and text $40

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/plans
https://business.financialpost.com/t...-threes-offers
Isn't this their response effectively to government requirements? Didn't carriers get mandated to bring in low cost plans with a tiny bit of data?

I think this is more along the lines of what was expected. The other carriers put theirs out first...and, well, to be expected ... (MBs of data, high price, etc).
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #662
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: nm
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #663
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just announced, Freedom is ending the $20/mo US roaming add-on (which I just successfully used again for about the 10th trip south) and their similar Mexico plan, in favour of the big 3-style rip off $5/day.

I've put up with years of mediocre service with Wind (been with them since 2011), because they had add ons like this one that differentiated them from the Big 3. It was bad enough when they increased it to $20 from $15. I just spent 12 days in the US, which would have been $60 for roaming. Next trip I'll just buy a T-Mobile Sim on their visitor plan.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #664
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is such a piss off.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #665
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, price themselves with the big 3, yet their same inadequate network.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #666
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still mildly annoyed with the changes to the the US roaming plan, I'm still far ahead of the game with my current $39 plan.

I really wish I would have jumped on this $50 plan, I doubt we will ever see something that good again.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #667
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #668
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm still mildly annoyed with the changes to the the US roaming plan, I'm still far ahead of the game with my current $39 plan.

I really wish I would have jumped on this $50 plan, I doubt we will ever see something that good again.
I got my wife and I on that plan combined with the Shaw friends and family deal they had. $38/mo each.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #669
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's basically my grandfathered in plan but 2 differences 1) I get 10GB total (an extra 2 than what's quoted) in my home zone, and 2) it costs me an extra $10 as I pay $60/month.

I kept my old wind plan...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #670
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

when was that plan offered? I have nearly identical plan, but I get 10GB home and only 500MB away for the same price. I don't see ever needing to increase my payment again, but getting 1GB away would be good, I never come close to using more than 4GB at home anyway.

to add: only reason I moved up to the $50/mo plan from my $39/mo was once you get to $50 I was able to buy a pixel 2 for 0 down and $20/mo for 2 years. so $480 for a pixel 2 back when they were close to brand new.

Last edited by Swarly; 07-31-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: to add:
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #671
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around August 2017, if I recall correctly.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #672
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Just announced, Freedom is ending the $20/mo US roaming add-on (which I just successfully used again for about the 10th trip south) and their similar Mexico plan, in favour of the big 3-style rip off $5/day.

I've put up with years of mediocre service with Wind (been with them since 2011), because they had add ons like this one that differentiated them from the Big 3. It was bad enough when they increased it to $20 from $15. I just spent 12 days in the US, which would have been $60 for roaming. Next trip I'll just buy a T-Mobile Sim on their visitor plan.
Damn - one of my main reasons for sticking with them over the years as well. Ugh.
This, after seeing a more general article comparing Canadian and Australian providers...
https://www.narcity.com/life/someone...its-ridiculous
Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #673
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with the changes to US roaming, are there any plans/providers that can come close to competing with the legacy plans we have?

Based on the limited research I've done, I can buy a fair bit of roaming before switching to a big 3 plan makes sense.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #674
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Looks like anyone working for Shaw, Freedom or Corus gets 5 promo codes to signup with freedom mobile for a 35% discount:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/f...-promo-35-off/

Would be very interested in buying anyone who has a code to share a beer or coffee!
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #675
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Even with the changes to US roaming, are there any plans/providers that can come close to competing with the legacy plans we have?

Based on the limited research I've done, I can buy a fair bit of roaming before switching to a big 3 plan makes sense.
In my experience you would be better off switching to one of the big 3's secondary providers. Koodo is Telus, Fido is Rogers, and Virgin is Bell. All of those offer the same coverage as their parent provider, but at a lower cost. Not sure what you have right now, but some of the current offers:
Koodo/ Virgin:
3 GB Data- $50
5 GB Data- $60

Fido:
4 GB Data- $50
6 GB Data- $60

Granted those only have 500 voice minutes, but voice seems to be a tertiary feature now for a lot of people.

Also look at how much data you use, and how much do you need. For example, are you using 6 GB of data because you never connect to wifi? If you have Shaw internet, could you use their wifi to reduce that?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #676
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Granted those only have 500 voice minutes, but voice seems to be a tertiary feature now for a lot of people.
And those are daytime minutes, are they not? Evenings and weekends are unlimited? If so, that's fine for a vast majority of people. Did this with my g'f's plan. She's at work during those times and is unlikely to use her phone much to make calls. That happens mostly on evenings and weekends.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #677
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Looks like anyone working for Shaw, Freedom or Corus gets 5 promo codes to signup with freedom mobile for a 35% discount:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/f...-promo-35-off/

Would be very interested in buying anyone who has a code to share a beer or coffee!
PM me, I'm out of the country till Sunday but I can get you a code.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #678
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

For those who have been on Freedom for the last year or so, ever since Shaw has upgraded the LTE, how have you found their coverage quality, and their customer service?

Just wondering because a relative recommended against it, but he switched 2 years ago. He was saying that there were lots of dropped calls and dead areas, even around the city.

Thanks for any insight you can provide...
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #679
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have enjoyed the service since they switched to LTE. Speeds are excellent. I haven't experienced dropped/missed calls as others have reported. I don't spend much time downtown, so can't comment on the reception inside towers.

The customer service isn't any better or worse that I recall from dealing with Bell who was my previous provider. I have Telus for home services and they are far superior in that regard.

Main issue with Freedom is the degredation of the perks that made them different than the big 3.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #680
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coverage in the city outside downtown is fine, don't notice a difference from Rogers.

Coverage in downtown and in office buildings: Currently atrocious. Band 13 being rolled out later this fall will fix this. Without band 13 upcoming I probably would have switched my wife back to Rogers given I am hearing about the terrible reception daily.

Coverage outside of the city relies on other towers, I would suggest ensuring you have at least 500mb or 1gb of "away" data on Freedom if you travel outside major cities.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote