Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #141
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1232050353375338496

conditions are related to playoff success/Calgary re-signing Forbort

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #142
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

back issues limited his use this season; previous season's he has played huge minutes, second only to Pouty on the Kings blueline
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #143
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that the Flames felt that with the recent play of Mangiapane, Dube, and Sam Bennett that defence became a more urgent need. Certainly it looked like Brad drew the line at 3rd round pick and was not willing to give up more.

They can have a look at the 4 UFA defencemen and decide who to keep for next year. I believe they will definitely sit Valamaki and attempt to sign Taylor Hall in the off season.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-24-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #144
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of anger over picking up a quality defensive d-man for a 4th round pick NEXT year. I think that's kind of funny.

Look, this isn't anything to get too excited about, but this is also a quality NHL player that knows how to play defense while adding some size on the back end that we desperately need (6-4, 219 lbs). I don't know how good he will be for us since he's just coming off a big injury, but I know this much is true:

He's going to be much better for us than Zach Bogosian would have been.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #145
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Lots of anger over picking up a quality defensive d-man for a 4th round pick NEXT year. I think that's kind of funny.

Look, this isn't anything to get too excited about, but this is also a quality NHL player that knows how to play defense while adding some size on the back end that we desperately need (6-4, 219 lbs). I don't know how good he will be for us since he's just coming off a big injury, but I know this much is true:

He's going to be much better for us than Zach Bogosian would have been.
Yes apparently Forbert is very mobile, whereas Bogosian is not mobile at all, but he is tough.

I never noticed Forbert, that's probably a good thing.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #146
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I didn't realize until just now how physical Forbort plays. He racks up a ton of hits. I was under the impression that he was more of a Fantenberg type.

I've said a few times that the Flames sorely miss Deryk Engelland. He could do it all on the back-end. He was physical but could also eat a ton of minutes.

So... colour me cautiously optimistic. At first, the optics didn't look good (another depth dman trade with the Kings? really?) and I'm definitely still skeptical.

But if this guy can provide some of the elements that Engelland did... sign me up for that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #147
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I didn't realize until just now how physical Forbort plays. He racks up a ton of hits. I was under the impression that he was more of a Fantenberg type.

I've said a few times that the Flames sorely miss Deryk Engelland. He could do it all on the back-end. He was physical but could also eat a ton of minutes.

So... colour me cautiously optimistic. At first, the optics didn't look good (another depth dman trade with the Kings? really?) and I'm definitely still skeptical.

But if this guy can provide some of the elements that Engelland did... sign me up for that.
With Hamonic out, the only rough and tumble D man the Flames have is Stone. A big part of the reason the Flames have struggled in their own zone is that they get pushed around in their own corners a lot.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #148
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression that he was more of a Fantenberg type.
A lot of people wrote him off as that sort of thing immediately, it has been pretty funny to see. Somehow people seem to think this is the kind of guy you add via waivers.

Don't get super excited for him but he's a solid quality player, addressed a big time need, and we added for dirt cheap. Anyone getting upset needs to give their heads a shake
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #149
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I was posting this here but it was the Brandon Davidson thread...

Quote:
Plus I think the value is fine. Here are two L.A Kings D-men at 5v5 over the last three seasons:

Player A:

TOI: 3121
CF%: 48.0%
HDCF%: 47.5%
xGF%: 46.8%
Zone Starts: 48.1%
Goals: 12

Player B:
TOI: 3020
CF%: 48.4%
HDCF%: 47.3%
xGF%: 46.7%
Zone Starts: 45.4%
Goals: 3

Player A is Alec Martinez and cost the Knights two second round picks. Player B is Derek Forbort and he cost the Flames a 4th.
He's not going to be a gamebreaker, but he's an improvement on Stone/Davidson and it's not bad value.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-24-2020 at 02:50 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #150
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
A lot of people wrote him off as that sort of thing immediately, it has been pretty funny to see. Somehow people seem to think this is the kind of guy you add via waivers.

Don't get super excited for him but he's a solid quality player, addressed a big time need, and we added for dirt cheap. Anyone getting upset needs to give their heads a shake
Count me as part of that group, I think I'm definitely guilty of not really doing much homework on Forbort. I think my perception of him was also slightly affected by his injury, which caused a reduction in his ATOI. But hey, overreactions are part of being a fan sometimes.

I just hope he doesn't wind up in the press box, which is where Davidson, the guy he's likely replacing, would have been anyway. That's where I start to feel like an asset has been wasted.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #151
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per cap friendly LA retains 25% of Forbort's salary
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #152
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The Flames have done a great job improving their physical presence: Forbort and Lucic are solid additions in that regard. Both would have led last year's team in hits. There's also Rinaldo as a deterrent too.

If only Johnny and Monahan can learn how to play again, the Flames might actually surprise some people. It's actually really disappointing that Johnny, with all the physical players to protect him, isn't playing more confidently.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #153
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

TBH I think Johnny has been much, much better over the last 2-3 weeks

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #154
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed.

I think there were times earlier this year where Monahan looked to be skating better and his 200ft game was better, but it was Johnny that was missing.

These last couple weeks I feel like Monahan's game has regressed, especially in his own zone, but that Gaudreau has shown flashes of the spark that he had previously.

I really hope both can figure it out at the same time at some point this season.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #155
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Could you imagine Forbort paired with Yelesin? That would be quite the truculent line.

While we still have the injuries,

Han - Raz
Brodie - Gusta
Forb - Yelesin

This does however throw Kylington out of the lineup which I do not like. However it also hopefully takes stone out. Like Stone but think he can be imporved. Bigger question is what is the absolute best lineup we can put out?

Gio - Brodie
Han - Raz
Forb/Kylington - Yelesin

Anyone have any other ideas? I guess i just really like the idea of having Yelesin and Forb on the same pair together for the playoffs, getting there? Hm.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #156
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Conditions on 2021 fourth-rounder in Derek Forbort trade — if #Flames make conference final this spring and he plays half the games, becomes a third in 2022. Or if he re-signs in Calgary, becomes a third in 2022.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #157
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
Could you imagine Forbort paired with Yelesin? That would be quite the truculent line.

While we still have the injuries,

Han - Raz
Brodie - Gusta
Forb - Yelesin

This does however throw Kylington out of the lineup which I do not like. However it also hopefully takes stone out. Like Stone but think he can be imporved. Bigger question is what is the absolute best lineup we can put out?

Gio - Brodie
Han - Raz
Forb/Kylington - Yelesin

Anyone have any other ideas? I guess i just really like the idea of having Yelesin and Forb on the same pair together for the playoffs, getting there? Hm.
Forbert's spent the last few years covering for Doughty defensively so I'd like to see him tried with Gustaffson first

Gio - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Forbert - Gustaffson
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #158
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings fans seem happy just to be rid of this guy.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #159
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Kings fans seem happy just to be rid of this guy.
Tanking.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #160
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I saw JG backchecking in the Detroit game, racing back on a DET rush and passing several DET players in the process... and I was like - who is that guy?!

He's definitely making an effort defensively and it's good to see.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote