Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #41
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Picked up a dash cam. But, overall, Prime Day is little more than a clearance sale.

And I won't be keeping Prime after the 30 days either. Don't order nearly enough for it to be worth it.

FYI if you have access to any kind of student email address, you can get prime free for 6 months, and then 50% off after that. It's pretty much a no brainer then
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #42
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I do feel a little guilty though, as I can't imagine on-line shopping in general being good for the environment. Just shipping waste in fuel and packaging material is pretty bad. But hey, I guess people also maintain lawns, which are also bad for the environment.
The packaging/boxing is awful (though at least it is generally cardboard/paper, which is better than plastic).

But I'm not sure the transport is as bad as we think it might be. Products are going to be transported from warehouses to brick and mortar stores, too. Those stores run on energy 24/7. Unsold products eventually get shipped somewhere else or trashed.

Shipping to your door is in a vehicle with a lot of other items. Increased online shopping has likely lead to a lot more delivery vehicles, but it's hard to calculate an individual share of it.

Hard to calculate individual shares either way. It sucks for a lot of people that Sears and Target went out of business in Canada. Environmentally, it is probably a very good thing and part of achieving a better balance between brick and mortar and online shopping.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #43
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have Prime but will cancel it. Originally got to get presents that my wife wouldn't see but that not that big of a deal. My wife will use her membership quite a bit but mostly for work stuff.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #44
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
FYI if you have access to any kind of student email address, you can get prime free for 6 months, and then 50% off after that. It's pretty much a no brainer then
I just noticed this yesterday and might have to sign one of my kids up for it.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #45
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
The best deals this year (I found) were the Meguiars and Chemical Guys car products that went on sale later yesterday.

They had some ridiculous deals on Torq polisher kits (polisher, pads, products for sub $150, insanity).

Other than that I got a Bonavita Coffee maker, pretty stoked for that.
man, i wish i had seen that chemical guys stuff was on sale as i recently started using jet seal, and love it and would not have minded scoring another bottle or three
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #46
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I've been tempted by the Bose noise cancelling headphones. Bose are generally overpriced but everything I have read say they are the best for noise cancelling. I guess I have 15 hours to decide.

I bought the Bose noise cancelling headphones in the UK Prime sale. Quiet Comfort 25 for £140 ($240).

That and cat food for a third off.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump... anyone find anything good? Other than a couple of Anker power bricks and a set of Jabra headphones I have very little in my cart.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #48
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Digital storage.

1 TB microSD (Switch or Steamdeck?)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08HCPTMJG

16 TB external drive seems decent

https://www.amazon.ca/16TB-Elements-.../dp/B08KTRKB6S
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #49
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Bump... anyone find anything good? Other than a couple of Anker power bricks and a set of Jabra headphones I have very little in my cart.
I feel like a lot of that has to do with the fact that I have most of everything I need now and it's mental gymnastics to justify the purchase.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #50
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Shipping to your door is in a vehicle with a lot of other items. Increased online shopping has likely lead to a lot more delivery vehicles, but it's hard to calculate an individual share of it.
But that single delivery vehicle replaces tens of multiple individuals driving to stores to shop and pick up their individual items right?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garmin looks to actually have some real deals:

https://www.amazon.ca/deal/4427e7f2?...e7f2_dt_sl7_06

This has been discussed in the cycle thread before:
https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-022..._D_4427e7f2_76
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I see some good deals there. Would have to do some research on which of those watches is actually up to date; some of those are previous gen.

Not so much on the sd cards... 20% just doesn't seem like anything special, not even sure that's specifically a prime day thing rather than just an ordinary discount.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #53
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya the Fenix 6 is on sale but not the 7 , I'll probably just go for it though.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #54
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This has been discussed in the cycle thread before:
https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-022..._D_4427e7f2_76
The one we discussed over there has the light as well as the radar. If you have a rear light and don't mind charging 2 devices I'm sure this is good too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #55
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Ya the Fenix 6 is on sale but not the 7 , I'll probably just go for it though.
I'm thinking Instinct Solar at 54% off... low tech but seems pretty rugged for rowing and such.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #56
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm thinking Instinct Solar at 54% off... low tech but seems pretty rugged for rowing and such.
Unfortunately one of the main features I want is the maps for trail riding, from my research the Fenix seems like the best bang for your buck watch for trail riders. At $500 it seems like a perfect deal.

I just wish Amazon's Gift Card balance would work...
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do want to buy a clip-on golf GPS, but I don't know the brand that's on sale through Prime. The Garmin I like seems to be regular price.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #58
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whole bunch of free games including Mass Effect Legendary Edition:

https://gaming.amazon.com/home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #59
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
But that single delivery vehicle replaces tens of multiple individuals driving to stores to shop and pick up their individual items right?
Ya, that was kinda my point...I don't think online enviro footprint is much different than b&m, though it probably makes it easier for people to consume even more.

Seeing the packaging and delivery vehicles driving around is just more visible for people...it's always happened, just in different forms for the b&m supply chain. A bit like seeing the cow get killed and butchered instead of just appearing as neatly package ground beef.

On the packaging standpoint, I'm curious if amazon warehouses are able to find efficiencies in how their cases/pallets are delivered - I imagine they'd want the biggest possible caseloads which would reduce interim packaging (and unpackaging)
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:29 AM   #60
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a few lego sets on decent discounts
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote