Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #41
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
C'mon, we totally need a thread on a forum about a Canadian hockey team that is (so far) mostly stories of American racism in general! Every forum needs one!
Canada isnt much better. We just dont have the same amount of studies dont on this topic as they have done in the states on black people. But we tell ourselves that we dont have racism here because Canada is friendly eh.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #42
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
And couldn't be arsed to actually quote them, making someone else do your legwork for you. "It's not a claim. It's a fact." No, it's a claim until you actually provide evidence of your statement having some truth to it.

If the thread is that important, maybe don't be so lazy next time.
I'm not a techno savvy type and I dont know what half the buttons do on this site. Call it lazy if you want. No skin off my back.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
C'mon, we totally need a thread on a forum about a Canadian hockey team that is (so far) mostly stories of American racism in general! Every forum needs one!
Cha, bros! Making a difference one internet post at a time! What we're doing here is important! Crucial! Kony 2012 fam!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #44
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I'm glad there's a thread like this, thanks for starting it icecube.

Illuminating racist and oppressive actions is an important education to those who still see the world as fractured, and humans, different. If it's too uncomfortable for you, look away, better yet look inside yourself.

No one, whether by race, sex, orientation, religion should be oppressed or faced with prejudice. Period.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
And couldn't be arsed to actually quote them, making someone else do your legwork for you. "It's not a claim. It's a fact." No, it's a claim until you actually provide evidence of your statement having some truth to it.
Actually, that’s not really true. A fact can be a fact without providing the evidence directly, so long as the evidence exists (in this case, it did). A claim would be a statement without evidence or proof (and one that doesn’t necessarily depend on it, such as a POV, an inference, or a personal judgement, something qualitative).

I could tell you my name, and it would be a fact, I don’t have to show you my driver’s license to make it so. I could say over 60 million people were killed in WWII. It’s a fact, even without me linking you to the source. Your knowledge of whether it’s a fact or not is subjective, but it being a fact (or not) is not, so what you know is irrelevant to “fact status.”
Not that it has anything to do with the thread, I just thought it was an interesting point you tried to make.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #46
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how in any other thread deemed "unimportant" everyone involved just tells everyone else to ignore the thread, but in this one, a page of pile-ons is apparently necessary and encouraged.

"Oh this board is totally not right-of-centre!" *fart noises*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #47
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Cha, bros! Making a difference one internet post at a time! What we're doing here is important! Crucial! Kony 2012 fam!
Your condescending attempt to derail the thread says more about you than anything I can. Are you threatened by anti racist stuff or something? Do you care to add anything of substance?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #48
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, never mind. If there was every anyone not worth it, it's him.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #49
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree
Actually, that’s not really true. A fact can be a fact without providing the evidence directly, so long as the evidence exists (in this case, it did). A claim would be a statement without evidence or proof (and one that doesn’t necessarily depend on it, such as a POV, an inference, or a personal judgement, something qualitative).

I could tell you my name, and it would be a fact, I don’t have to show you my driver’s license to make it so. I could say over 60 million people were killed in WWII. It’s a fact, even without me linking you to the source. Your knowledge of whether it’s a fact or not is subjective, but it being a fact (or not) is not, so what you know is irrelevant to “fact status.”
Not that it has anything to do with the thread, I just thought it was an interesting point you tried to make.
Apologies, it was expedient wording on my part.

I wasn't challenging whether or not it was a fact, so I'll happily grant you that facts are facts whether or not they are known to the person to whom they are being presented. I was challenging his assertion that it wasn't a claim. I can make a factual claim and no one is under any obligation to believe me without evidence. And making a claim that someone said X without providing some sort of substantiation for that claim isn't going to get one taken very seriously.

Fortunately, since icecube doesn't feel like searching / doesn't know how to search / is just too lazy to search, people who know how to use the forum can come to his rescue. I mean, this thread is really, really important. I hear the UN is sending a delegate from each nation to the forum as we speak.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #50
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I like how in any other thread deemed "unimportant" everyone involved just tells everyone else to ignore the thread, but in this one, a page of pile-ons is apparently necessary and encouraged.

"Oh this board is totally not right-of-centre!" *fart noises*
Oh please. I'm demonstrably left-of-centre, and I still think his dramatics are worthy of ridicule.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #51
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Oh please. I'm demonstrably left-of-centre, and I still think his dramatics are worthy of ridicule.
Wasn't trying to be dramatic. I seriously do think this thread is important. There are people of colour fighting for equality, fighting for their lives. That's not an exaggeration nor am I trying to be high and mighty or virtue signaling when I say that. I'm sincere and this stuff is important to me. Laugh it up though.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #52
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Asian-Americans Suing Harvard Say Admissions Files Show Discrimination

Quote:
Students for Fair Admissions includes more than a dozen Asian-American students who applied to Harvard and were rejected. They contend in their lawsuit that Harvard systematically and unconstitutionally discriminates against Asian-American applicants by penalizing their high achievement as a group, while giving preferences to other racial and ethnic minorities. They say that Harvard’s admission process amounts to an illegal quota system.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/u...admission.html
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #53
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Robyn Urback: On that contentious Black Lives Matter tweet...

Quote:
In the tweet, BLMTO co-founder Yusra Khogali wrote, “Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz.”
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/roby...s-matter-tweet
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #54
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Matt Gurney: The CBC's 'no whites' policy is a mistake, but no accident

Quote:
Please only submit if you match the following criteria:
  • Male between the ages of 23-35yrs
  • Any race except Caucasian
  • Non-union
  • Must be able to carry a tune (ability to dance or move well is a bonus but not necessary)
  • Comfortable being in front of a camera and not afraid to show a silly side
  • Great with kids; the type of guy that pre-schoolers would love to be around
  • Loves physical comedy, would enjoy hanging out with puppets all day and can be funny on the fly
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt...ut-no-accident
Old 05-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #55
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Robyn Urback: On that contentious Black Lives Matter tweet...

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/roby...s-matter-tweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Matt Gurney: The CBC's 'no whites' policy is a mistake, but no accident

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt...ut-no-accident
Thanks for posting the 2 year and 3 year old articles.

Been saving them as examples of double standards and oppression against "whites" have you?

Well done!
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #56
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #57
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

April 19 - Gym calls police because two black men are working out.

April 23 - Golf course calls police because group of black women are golfing.

April 30 - Bronx man has police called on him while moving into his own apartment.

April 30 - Police called as black women leave their AirBnB

May 2 - IHOP apologizes to teen who was called the N-word on her reciept by sending her a $10 gift card.

May 3 - Pizza restaurant refuses to accept coupon from black customer, accepts same coupon from white friend.

May 8 - Yale campus police called about a black student napping in a common room.

driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Canada isnt much better. We just dont have the same amount of studies dont on this topic as they have done in the states on black people. But we tell ourselves that we dont have racism here because Canada is friendly eh.
I don’t think that’s completely accurate. I went to the Civil Rights Museum in Atlanta last year and what took place in recent history in the US is a stark contrast to what we have seen in Canada. I don’t deny that there is racism here in Canada, and I think it’s particularly notable against certain groups, but in the US they had legislation that was incredibly racist. I expected that a lot of that was dealt with before my time, but some of these laws and regulations persisted until the late 90’s. That’s pretty unbelievable.

Really, the US and their race issues are just so much more pronounced than what we see here. Race is really a non-issue in Canadian society, whereas it’s still a noticeable difference in the US.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #59
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Race is really a non-issue in Canadian society,
Are you white or a person of colour? I would like to know from which perspective you're making this statement.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #60
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Are you white or a person of colour? I would like to know from which perspective you're making this statement.
Probably one of those evil white people
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote