Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #81
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chuckles View Post
That last Phillips goal looked like a Johnny goal!
I guess it could be a good problem to have but if he keeps developing like this, what are we going to do with him?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #82
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I guess it could be a good problem to have but if he keeps developing like this, what are we going to do with him?
My guess is he has at least 3-4 years before he even breaks the NHL roster due to his size currently. By then we will have plenty of room for him in the middle 6. He may develop and be a stud but we won't know if his game will translate to the AHL, let alone the NHL.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #83
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
My guess is he has at least 3-4 years before he even breaks the NHL roster due to his size currently. By then we will have plenty of room for him in the middle 6. He may develop and be a stud but we won't know if his game will translate to the AHL, let alone the NHL.
He didn't get on the scoreboard but the coach dressed him for 2 games in the AHL playoffs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=180387
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #84
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't get on the scoreboard but the coach dressed him for 2 games in the AHL playoffs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=180387
So I ask this honestly, Vulcan.. what's your issue or potential problem here? That Phillips pans out? Why is that a potential problem, that's what you want to happen.

What are we going to do if he continues to develop? I don't know.. use him in the NHL. Flames aren't exactly overflowing with legit right wing prospects.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #85
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
So I ask this honestly, Vulcan.. what's your issue or potential problem here? That Phillips pans out? Why is that a potential problem, that's what you want to happen.

What are we going to do if he continues to develop? I don't know.. use him in the NHL. Flames aren't exactly overflowing with legit right wing prospects.
Yeah, I did mention that it's a good problem to have in my first post. TBH I never noticed that he's a right shot. It's more to do with his size I guess, as we already have a shrimp on our team but the NHL is changing.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Swede coach says Linus Lindstrom was scratched yesterday because he has been playing through an injury.

Will see at today's practice if he is good to go for any of the remaining games.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #87
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/finland-cas...le/c-290586936

Quote:
Defenseman Juuso Valimaki has embraced his leadership role with Finland at the World Junior Summer Showcase.

The Calgary Flames prospect will be Finland's captain at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship, to be held Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Buffalo.

"It means a lot," Valimaki, 18, said Thursday. "It's a huge honor for my home country and playing with that jersey on and having the C, it's something special for sure. It's a really big honor."

He said he's more of a quiet presence in the room than a rah-rah guy.

"I think I'm a guy who leads by example," he said. "I try to be a nice guy, positive guy … not negative or yelling all the time. Before games I like to be really focused, by myself, not very loud. We have other guys who are better at that. I'm more a guy that leads by example."

Valimaki is second on Finland with 13 shots on goal through three games here. The 16th pick of the 2017 NHL Draft also has been on the top defense pair and played in all situations.

"He has big-time leadership qualities," Finland coach Jussi Ahokas said. "He takes charge on the ice, defends well, also can make smart plays with the puck. The big thing is on the team he is a leader, and we need those kind of guys."
Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Lindstrom and Phillips playing today. Canada vs Sweden starts in a few minutes. Dube won't dress for Canada.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #89
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

gasp TSN shows Dubas talking to Maloney.. Marner to the Flames confirmed! /doyoureallyneedgreentext
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #90
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton to the leafs???

Freddie that is...
Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #91
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know what number Lindstrom is?
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #92
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Anyone know what number Lindstrom is?
16. He may not play a lot with the injury.

Also Phillips is wearing #26 for this game.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #93
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk-Bennett-Phillips

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #94
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

And this is why I mentioned a while back that due to Phillips development progress, it could make Mangiapane expendable and he could be used in a package for a top line RW.

I think Phillips is the real deal despite his size. Can't have Johnny, Mangiapane and Phillips on the same team.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #95
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
And this is why I mentioned a while back that due to Phillips development progress, it could make Mangiapane expendable and he could be used in a package for a top line RW.

I think Phillips is the real deal despite his size. Can't have Johnny, Mangiapane and Phillips on the same team.
They are still very different players. Still don't get the point
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #96
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I think you can have two small players as long as they are on different lines and you've got powerforwards on each of those lines to compliment them and have decent size at centre. With Ferland/Tkachuk and our size at centre I think we could actually support two small forwards (two of Gaudreau, Phillips, Mangiapane.) Given that I emphasize size as much as I do I think that says something :P

Anyways worrying about Phillips is quite a ways away IMO. More pressing would be the question about how to fit Mangiapane and Gaudreau both in but like I said I don't think its an issue as long as you have size at centre (which we do) and several skilled powerforwards (which we do.)
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #97
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

watched the canada-sweden game, but not too closely. phillips looked more engaged than lindstrom, which makes sense if the latter is injured. lindstrom was getting rotated mainly defensively, it seemed. got pk time and time with the net empty. p had some good rushes and looks in the offensive zone, scored an empty net goal on a backhand flip from centre ice after he gained the line
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #98
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

Mangiapane could play a high-end checking role. He may be short but he is not weak - he has that Cammalleri type stump-legs body. Remember his draft-day comparision was Andrew Cogliano, who plays with Kesler on the Ducks' checking line.

Something like

Phillips replaces Versteeg on the Bennett line (Scoring line 1B)
Mangiapane replaces Frolik on the Backlund(/Jankowski?) line.

In fact Mangiapane-Jankowski-Hathaway was a very effective defensive line at least the AHL level. Eatbread could use a bit more seasoning but he is already strong as an ox rolling out of the corners with the puck - I don't consider him truly undersized.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #99
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think you can have two small players as long as they are on different lines and you've got powerforwards on each of those lines to compliment them and have decent size at centre. With Ferland/Tkachuk and our size at centre I think we could actually support two small forwards (two of Gaudreau, Phillips, Mangiapane.) Given that I emphasize size as much as I do I think that says something :P

Anyways worrying about Phillips is quite a ways away IMO. More pressing would be the question about how to fit Mangiapane and Gaudreau both in but like I said I don't think its an issue as long as you have size at centre (which we do) and several skilled powerforwards (which we do.)
I remember a team with Loob, Mullen and Fleury on it. And Gilmour wasn't a big guy either. That team did OK.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #100
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I remember a team with Loob, Mullen and Fleury on it. And Gilmour wasn't a big guy either. That team did OK.
That's also over 25 years ago. It's a completely different league now in a variety of ways. But yeah, having a couple small wingers isn't going to be a problem at all. Having all small wingers would be though.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote