Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #2841
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder if there's any way the Caps would move Tom Wilson. That's a blossoming power forward with a mean streak.

Trade for him, sign Lucic and all of a sudden the Flames are not very nice to play against at all.

1. Gaudreau - Monahan - Laine ()
2A. Colborne - Backlund - Frolik
2B. M. Lucic - Bennett - Wilson

And let us pray the PK improves.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #2842
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wideman would be happy to leave town IMO...go down the the US where Eric Fancis doesn't camp out in your back yard to gauge your concussion symptoms or try to embarrass you on local media nightly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #2843
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

With Wideman, I'm at a point where I consider the buyout. Yeah two years of dead cap space sucks. But if you can offset it a bit by keeping Nakladal for two years at 800k. Than your #5 defenceman for the next two years is taking up 2.7 million, and you have the new guy for next year at 900k.

So to me the two year term on the buyout is manageable. I think the idea of clearing out that spot and re-allocating a few more dollars to the forwards is more important than stubbornly trying to get something for a player that I don't think has much in terms of value. Maybe if you hold him all year and he performs you get something at the deadline. My worry is that there is a cost in lost opportunity by doing that which I think is greater than the 2nd round pick he may return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #2844
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, maybe there is sopme truth to the subban trade rumors

Nick KypreosVerified account
‏@RealKyper
I believe @PKSubban1 could be in a new uniform next season. What do you think? Click here >> http://awe.sm/bP9et
Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #2845
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Wow, maybe there is sopme truth to the subban trade rumors

Nick KypreosVerified account
‏@RealKyper
I believe @PKSubban1 could be in a new uniform next season. What do you think? Click here >> http://awe.sm/bP9et
OT but man this really GMG. it is not 1994...if you need explicit instruction on how to operate a hyperlink, you're in trouble.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #2846
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Here's the thing: Is Chicago, LA, or Washington going to go after Wideman? Of course not.

But there a lot of teams (some Canadian) who aren't very good, where defence is a problem, and where an offensively gifted but defensively liable Wideman is still a huge upgrade for their top 4. Just because contenders aren't going to be begging to acquire Wideman doesn't mean no teams are.

If the reason for your above situation is because Wideman is only desired by non-contending teams with less than stellar GMs, lucky us, that's a wide net.
Wideman has a no trade clause.

It's a contract year.

Do you think it's worth more with Wideman to stick with an young upstart team like the Flames where he is already familiar with the team and players or do you think he's interested in going to Siberia for 7 months to play with a new coach, GM and roster of players?

Now, we need to find a team that is not only OK with adding 5.25 but is willing to add that salary without subjecting one of their own garbage contracts.

Now we have to make sure that the team that is willing to accept wideman without getting junk in return is also on his list of teams he would accept a trade to.

And finally, the Calgary Flames have to be on board with the idea of paying 3 million dollars next year for Wideman to NOT play for the team (Because for some reason Wideman's contract is structured in such a way as to make his last season his highest paid season.) So, the basement dwelling teams are actually on the hook for 3 million from wideman next year in terms of the cash payout. That's probably good news for a cap-basement team, but how many teams that are internal budget teams are looking to pay a player MORE than their cap hit? I don't think there is many.

The way some posters make it sound on here, Wideman already has his bags packed and ticket booked out of town. If I was him, I wouldn't be going anywhere.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #2847
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

PK can benefit from a trade to a big US market and really become even more marketable for the NHL instead of being the whipping boy in Montreal.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #2848
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Wideman has a no trade clause.

It's a contract year.

Do you think it's worth more with Wideman to stick with an young upstart team like the Flames where he is already familiar with the team and players or do you think he's interested in going to Siberia for 7 months to play with a new coach, GM and roster of players?

Now, we need to find a team that is not only OK with adding 5.25 but is willing to add that salary without subjecting one of their own garbage contracts.

Now we have to make sure that the team that is willing to accept wideman without getting junk in return is also on his list of teams he would accept a trade to.

And finally, the Calgary Flames have to be on board with the idea of paying 3 million dollars next year for Wideman to NOT play for the team (Because for some reason Wideman's contract is structured in such a way as to make his last season his highest paid season.) So, the basement dwelling teams are actually on the hook for 3 million from wideman next year in terms of the cash payout. That's probably good news for a cap-basement team, but how many teams that are internal budget teams are looking to pay a player MORE than their cap hit? I don't think there is many.

The way some posters make it sound on here, Wideman already has his bags packed and ticket booked out of town. If I was him, I wouldn't be going anywhere.
Wideman would have a lot more value with more suitors if his salary is retained at 2.6 million. That would make it a pretty reasonable cap-hit for one season. Wideman might have more teams that he'd accept trades to than you think. He could go to one of about 10 playoff teams where he'd be likely to achieve team success. Or he could be traded to one of several teams that are in desperate need of a puck-moving defenseman. What he wouldn't want to do is play on a team like Calgary where is role and ice time is likely to diminish.

If you were Wideman on a contract year, what would you rather do:

A) Play a 5/6/7 role on Calgary, play 12 minutes a night, and probably end up with 20 points. Get paid 2 million per on a new contract next year.
or
B) Play a top 2/4 role on Edmonton, get top pairing powerplay time, and get 40+ points. Get 3+ million per on the next contract.

By this logic, I'm not even sure that he'd want to be traded to a strong defensive playoff team. This is a guy that has followed the money in the past, and he will probably do it again in the future.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #2849
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see the Flames giving Wideman away, much less buying him out.

I would still bet on Wideman bouncing back. Maybe he won't bounce back too high, but I don't think he will have another terrible season.

I do think the Flames would like to trade him, but if they don't get something they feel is fair, I would bet they keep playing him this year and trade him as the deadline approaches.

In no way would it make sense to trade him with retention for Korpikopski. It would only make sense if he was some type of locker-room cancer that absolutely had to go. Korpikopski has pretty much zero value to the Flames and probably wouldn't play. I would rather Wideman stick if his salary sticks, even if he is a healthy scratch and waits until injuries. That has more value than Korpikopski at essentially 5.25 million a season.

Wideman may not be worth 5.25 million a season right now, but I think few would argue that he is a heck of a lot closer to that number than Korpikopski. He at least has some chance at playing at that cap hit - however likely or not some of you feel, there is a realistic chance he plays at or close to that contract next season, while Korpikopski has essentially zero chance.

Even a stright-up trade makes me think there is little to no reason to do it. Wideman retained for whatever Korpikopski is making will return something much better than Korpikopski, that's for sure.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #2850
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem with the Flames off-season is that this year's free agent class looks better than next years in terms of helping the Flames with their needs.

Flames should consider retaining 50% of all their players on the block for that very reason. Sure there's cap space for next off season, but its needed this year.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #2851
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I am personally hoping for from this offseason for the Flames top 9 forwards

Sign 1
Trade for 1
Draft 1

If the Flames are picking in the top 5, they will likely get a NHL ready forward between Matthews/the Fins/Dubois. Just depends where they are picking. If that's the case, then that guy can slot in somewhere in the lineup.

Trade for 1 - I figure that the Flames should be able to move something for a RW. Whether that's Wideman, or even potentially Engelland that goes for that, I'm sure there are some teams out there with a need that is willing to make a swap.

Sign 1 - There are four key UFA's that make sense for the Flames needs. Troy Brouwer, David Backes, Milan Lucic, and Kyle Okposo. In this case, it largely depends on who the Flames draft. If they get a Fin, they won't need either Backes or Okposo and would be able to get by with a guy like Brouwer instead. Lucic is possible, but the least likely of the three due to having plenty of LW organizationally already and the possibility of moving Bennett there due to Matthews/Dubois.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #2852
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't feel that anyone outside of the Top 3 picks will be NHL ready.

Barring miracle trades by BT, I don't see the Cap Space next season for anything except a $4.5M - $5M Goalie.

Buy-outs and retaining salary are options that the Flames have seldom ever chosen.

I expect that Wideman ($5.25M Cap Hit, $6M Actual Salary, NMC) to be traded at the TDL.

Stajan ($3.125M, limited NTC) will be kept to expose during expansion (each team must make $18M of contracts available).

Smid ($3.5M) is just not trade-able, so he will be on the roster unless he goes on LTIR. If he retires, I believe that his contract would still count against the Cap.

Raymond ($3.15M, limited NTC) will probably play out his contract in Stockton.

Engelland ($2.917M) could generate a little interest in the market, but will most likely play out his contract here.

Bollig ($1.25M) shouldn't be impossible to move, but his replacement from Stockton would be making $700k+, so not much for savings there.

Patience is required, 2017/2018 will be much better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420since1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #2853
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I can't see the Flames giving Wideman away, much less buying him out.

I would still bet on Wideman bouncing back. Maybe he won't bounce back too high, but I don't think he will have another terrible season.

I do think the Flames would like to trade him, but if they don't get something they feel is fair, I would bet they keep playing him this year and trade him as the deadline approaches.

In no way would it make sense to trade him with retention for Korpikopski. It would only make sense if he was some type of locker-room cancer that absolutely had to go. Korpikopski has pretty much zero value to the Flames and probably wouldn't play. I would rather Wideman stick if his salary sticks, even if he is a healthy scratch and waits until injuries. That has more value than Korpikopski at essentially 5.25 million a season.

Wideman may not be worth 5.25 million a season right now, but I think few would argue that he is a heck of a lot closer to that number than Korpikopski. He at least has some chance at playing at that cap hit - however likely or not some of you feel, there is a realistic chance he plays at or close to that contract next season, while Korpikopski has essentially zero chance.

Even a stright-up trade makes me think there is little to no reason to do it. Wideman retained for whatever Korpikopski is making will return something much better than Korpikopski, that's for sure.
I don't think the Flames want him on the roster next season. I would be very surprised if he's back.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #2854
Conroy4Mayor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post

Barring miracle trades by BT, I don't see the Cap Space next season for anything except a $4.5M - $5M Goalie.

Buy-outs and retaining salary are options that the Flames have seldom ever chosen.

I expect that Wideman ($5.25M Cap Hit, $6M Actual Salary, NMC) to be traded at the TDL.

Stajan ($3.125M, limited NTC) will be kept to expose during expansion (each team must make $18M of contracts available).

Smid ($3.5M) is just not trade-able, so he will be on the roster unless he goes on LTIR. If he retires, I believe that his contract would still count against the Cap.

Engelland ($2.917M) could generate a little interest in the market, but will most likely play out his contract here.

Bollig ($1.25M) shouldn't be impossible to move, but his replacement from Stockton would be making $700k+, so not much for savings there.

Replacing Bollig with someone from Stockton is not about saving money. It would be about improving the team. It is the easiest upgrade the team could make in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #2855
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I wouldn't mind seeing Bollig traded at all.

I could see one of Grant, Hathaway, or Hamilton taking his roster spot.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #2856
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think Hathaway has to be on the team next season. He showed during his stint that he has what it takes to be a very effective 4th liner in this league. He hit every chance he got, he blocked everything he could, and he caused havoc while drawing penalties about as well as Gaudreau.

If he's in the AHL and Bollig is on this team still I'll lose a lot of faith in our management.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #2857
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hamilton shinkuruk and 2017 first for subban
A top 3 of subban giordano and brodie would make us a playoff team
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #2858
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
hamilton shinkuruk and 2017 first for subban
A top 3 of subban giordano and brodie would make us a playoff team
Subban makes 9 million aav. That would mean no shiny new goalie next year.

No to Subban
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #2859
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post

I agree with everyone listed. But I think it's matter of comparing free agencies. This year has Stamkos, Campbell, Lucic, Yandle, Backes, Ladd, Eriksson, Staal, Okoposo, and Reimer.

Next year you might be looking at Thorton, Marleau, Iginla, Vanek, Steen, Bishop, Vanek, Sharp, Riberio, Oshie, Elliot, Hanzal, Alzner and Bonino.

Of that list Stammer is the cream of the crop. Plus I'd take Eriksson, Okoposo and Ladd over most of the 2017 wingers.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #2860
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I agree with everyone listed. But I think it's matter of comparing free agencies. This year has Stamkos, Campbell, Lucic, Yandle, Backes, Ladd, Eriksson, Staal, Okoposo, and Reimer.

Next year you might be looking at Thorton, Marleau, Iginla, Vanek, Steen, Bishop, Vanek, Sharp, Riberio, Oshie, Elliot, Hanzal, Alzner and Bonino.

Of that list Stammer is the cream of the crop. Plus I'd take Eriksson, Okoposo and Ladd over most of the 2017 wingers.
I think he was referring to we will have more off the books in the summer of 17.
Closed Thread