Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #6261
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have yet to see an e-bike out on the trail. Like k-train, when the day comes that I can’t ride a pedal bike, then i’ll Buy an e-bike.

I like riding to challenge myself, the first time I was able to climb Merlin without stopping or getting off was such a sweet high that I could never get from an e-bike.

I would also worry about getting in over my head with an e-bike and having a mechanical, and then having to ride. 50 pound bike lots of miles to get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Just ring a bell when you fly past us.

I've got nothing against ebikes. If I get to the point where I'm not physically able to ride like I can now I'll think about getting one. The biggest reason I ride (outside of fitness) is to explore. Ebikes would help me do that more.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #6262
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would also worry about getting in over my head with an e-bike and having a mechanical, and then having to ride. 50 pound bike lots of miles to get back.
I have similar concerns with etap. It'd be awesome to have fewer cables and reduced weight but anything goes wrong and I'd be lost. I also have to charge enough things for my rides (cycling computer, front and rear lights, sometimes heart rate monitor, etc) that having to charge my bike too would suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #6263
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, zoo path still isn't open. The rest of Nose Creek pathway is in great shape. The roads are brutal with snirt, nice "snow removal" system we have here. "It's warming up, leave the plows at home".
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #6264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a great ride in, but I guess the plows took the break off. It's the most half arsed clearing I've ever seen on the cycle track, and the cluster construction at the Peace Bridge is so narrow due to the fences and the lack of any plowing. I'm not sure what genius thought the middle of winter was a good time do this project.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #6265
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode to the gym this morning, and then from the gym to work. With both parts of the ride is was about 26 minutes in minus one degree weather. The roads looked a little slippery with ice, but seemed fine when I rode on them. I was warm, but my face was frozen. I definitely need something to keep me warm there. I did like cycling past the cars that were scraping ice from their windshields.

The only downer was someone stole my rear pouch from my bike while I was in the gym. I take my lights off, but since my pouch was empty, I left it on the bike. This is the first time I've had one of them stolen. It really annoys me when people do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #6266
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are the worst. I use a buff(just the basic thin stretchy one) and a thin touque/helmet liner to keep my face warm, up to about -15 when I switch to something more serious. Bonus is you can pull it up over your ears, too.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #6267
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do the same as Fuzz, have a buff and a thin toque. If it gets colder I wear a balaclava and ski helmet with goggles.

People do suck. I've only had water bottles stolen that I have left in the bike. Sometimes I am a bit nonchalant about leaving stuff on the bike, but this is a reminder to take all the crap off.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #6268
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode my fat bike out in Bragg Creek today as we took on snowy owl and west crystal line.

I thought snowy owl was very difficult as the “packed” portion of the trail was 8 inches wide and on either side of that the snow was very loose. When I wandered off the trail, my front wheel would wash out and you would be thrown off your bike. I kept getting frustrated as it was hard to get started again, as your feet would be off the trail,and sinking 6 inches or more.

West crystal line was much better as it seems to see much more traffic and was more firmly packed.

As an aside, the food at the sugar shake remains outstanding and a great spot to stop post ride.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #6269
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

All the cops were riding on the sidewalk with their fat tire bikes today. Made me think twice about my avoidance of sidewalks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #6270
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cops are allowed to ride on sidewalks, we aren't.

My fast twitch muscles got a workout today, with all the slipping on the snirt!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #6271
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been riding on the sidewalk down 23rd St NE. No way I am riding in the death snirt. I will get run over.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #6272
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's not safe on the roads, I'm not above riding on the sidewalk.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #6273
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting trickier. The side streets have gone form nice firm snow to "mashed potato". Might have to temporarily switch to 10th st.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #6274
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty tricky for sure. I've had two minor mechanicals due to the snow. Bailed twice but managed to stay on my feet. After one bail I could not get into the small chainring up front. Had to mess around with the derailuer. Second bail this morning mashed my rear wheel off center. Had to undo the quick release and reseat the wheel, so not sure if I had the QR too lose or something. That is a bit concerning, but doesn't seem like the rotor or anything is bent. Winter riding takes a toll!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #6275
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Today was my last ride in Arizona before coming back to the reality of Calgary winter. Though I missed out on the worst of it.

I met up with the guy who sold me his old bike at the beginning of the trip. He's a 77 year old, US Marine and cancer survivor. Hell of a nice guy and passionate about cycling. He did 9800+kms last year! Granted he's retired and has the time but still impressive.

He had a wicked crash vs a car in 2014 so he's been keeping his rides close to home these days. Today he took me on the loops he does to keep in shape. A couple times around a 15km loop and a couple more around 7-8 kms. 45kms in total. We didn't break any speed records but it was a blast.

A couple photos:
Spoiler!

Last edited by KTrain; 01-04-2018 at 07:56 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #6276
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered some supplies from jenson on Monday and they arrived today. The ups tracking site had the stuff in south dakato at 6.30 this morning
Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #6277
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was timid as a kitten this morning. Too many crashes this year, road rashed my knee on Thursday last week. Wasn't too bad for ice, but I was still almost twice as slow as usual.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #6278
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was quite slow as well. Between the phantom ice patches and the mashed potatoes on the side streets it was not my best time. I think I'll switch to 10th st tomorrow, but once the snow falls that is not my favourite route(morning drivers, slippery, probably poor plowing).
Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #6279
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea if it's any of you guys, but I thought the guy biking downtown early this morning with the Christmas lights on his back was a nice touch.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #6280
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not I, but I want to grab some cheap discounted Xmas lights soon and rig up the winter bike with them for next winter. Figure I can strap on a battery pack on the bag rack.

I thought this morning was pretty decent out there, but I am running studs on both wheels. So this hard packed ice and snow on the pathways is no problem.
Closed Thread