Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #5261
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there is now some speculation on Facebook that this may be a false report.

The speculation appears to be driven by the lack of details, no trail is mentioned and no reports have been filed to the rcmp.

I hope it is not true as there are many weekends where my buddy and I are one of the first few cars in the lot
Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #5262
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is the best time to buy a bike in Calgary? End of the season, around September? Then probably February as they get new stock?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #5263
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ prices on current stock start moving downwards thruout the summer. absolute best time is likely in January or February when the shop may have prior year models as the new models are rolling in.

I have never really tracked how much the price changes throughout he year. when I buy a bike, I have my price in mind and can usually come to what I consider a fair price with my shop.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #5264
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ there is now some speculation on Facebook that this may be a false report.

The speculation appears to be driven by the lack of details, no trail is mentioned and no reports have been filed to the rcmp.

I hope it is not true as there are many weekends where my buddy and I are one of the first few cars in the lot
Awful story if true. How could "several" bikers get injured by the same wire?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #5265
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Awful story if true. How could "several" bikers get injured by the same wire?

but more likely around a blind corner or somewhere where their speed was too great to stop as fast as would be necessary. These stories make me paranoid and always looking for something like this.

Could of been trailing close and not enough reaction time (I prefer to give others more time to avoid this) but does make for crazy video.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #5266
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oregon has passed legislation in the senate today that will impose a $15 tax on bicycle sales. It's now being delivered to the governor's desk for signing. Any bike that costs over $200, and has a wheel diameter of at least 26 inches, is subject to the tax. It's expected to raise $1.2M (80,000 bikes) annually. Funds will be used for bicycle and transportation projects.

From the article:
Quote:
We are taxing the healthiest, most inexpensive, most environmentally friendly, most efficient, and most economically sustainable form of transportation ever devised by the human species.
https://bikeportland.org/2017/07/06/...ike-tax-233967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #5267
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

That seems like a pretty reasonable tax.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #5268
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's expected to raise zero dollars as people by their Bikes in Washington using their Sales tax exemption.

Anyone know if in Oregon road projects are solely funded with gas taxes? If so this would be a very reasonable approach.

Last edited by GGG; 07-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #5269
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Oregon has passed legislation in the senate today that will impose a $15 tax on bicycle sales. It's now being delivered to the governor's desk for signing. Any bike that costs over $200, and has a wheel diameter of at least 26 inches, is subject to the tax. It's expected to raise $1.2M (80,000 bikes) annually. Funds will be used for bicycle and transportation projects.

From the article:
https://bikeportland.org/2017/07/06/...ike-tax-233967
I'd be more upset if it was a yearly tax for owning a bike, but a one time tax of 15 bucks once every 4ish years or so if you buy a new bike isnt terrible. And if it makes for more infrastructure I'd be for it.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #5270
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Sick - that's the route I created! I have no idea if it's good or not - I want to do it myself!! haha.
OK Coys, I did it and I have a bone to pick with you.

Just kidding , it was a great route. 99% pathways, I really enjoyed the north section, i've never been on the pathways up there and there are some really fast windy bits that are tons of fun.

I made a ton of wrong turns, but tried to follow the route as best as possible. Sometimes the route says to ride on the street when there is a bike path beside and sometimes it says to take the walking path instead of the bike path.
There are a couple spots where the path is closed or doesn't exist anymore so you have to detour around those, but generally, it was pretty good!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #5271
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode bragging rights and Merlin this morning, and the trail was running great. No bears, debris or barb wire on the trail.

Personally I had a great day, as for the first time I made it without pushing. I did dab three times and had a slow speed tip over thanks to my own clumsiness.

Finally was able to clear the rock garden near the top. It clearly pays to have a full nights sleep, new shoes and some warm weather.

Really looking forward to riding revelstoke in August.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #5272
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got out to Minewanka and did the trail there. I was with my dad, so only made it to LM11 before he had had enough. In fairness he is almost 70 and we did a bike hike yesterday as well. I still had energy when we hit the parking lot so rode Legacy back to Canmore. A decent 48km day on the mountain bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #5273
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I did the Legacy Trail for the first time today. We got out there early so it wasn't too busy on the way out to Banff. We went up to Mt. Norquay to get a bit of elevation on the ride. All-in-all a beauty day for a ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #5274
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
HAHA - I let the app do most of the routing. My only goal was to hit every quadrant and be over a century!

Glad someone did it - I really want to now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #5275
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went for a 50k spin with the wife this morning. We went from our place in new brighton all the way to fort calgary. I would have liked to have gone further, but I was worried that it would be a long ride home for her
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #5276
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I did the Legacy Trail for the first time today. We got out there early so it wasn't too busy on the way out to Banff. We went up to Mt. Norquay to get a bit of elevation on the ride. All-in-all a beauty day for a ride.
When I need to do a little bit more for elevation I like to do the Minewanka Johnson Lake loop once or twice. It's nice because you can turn off to Cascade ponds and not have to deal with a lot of traffic. Plus when you get up there they have a snack bar
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #5277
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:

Just kidding , it was a great route. 99% pathways, I really enjoyed the north section, i've never been on the pathways up there and there are some really fast windy bits that are tons of fun.

I made a ton of wrong turns, but tried to follow the route as best as possible. Sometimes the route says to ride on the street when there is a bike path beside and sometimes it says to take the walking path instead of the bike path.
There are a couple spots where the path is closed or doesn't exist anymore so you have to detour around those, but generally, it was pretty good!

I did the south half this afternoon. I ran out of gas and battery on my phone. I've never been that far south on a bike. That was a beautiful ride. I wanted to just dive into the reservoir in the last half, I was so hot and tired.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10...ref_map=%5B%5D
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #5278
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice dude!! I took a 10,000mah battery for my phone. by the time i was half way done I was at 30% so I just plugged it in since I have a frame bag. Battery in the frame bag, cell phone on the handle bars. Worked out pretty well.

you started at 2:30pm...yeah i'm not surprised you wanted to jump in! i started my ride at 8 am because i knew it was gonna be uncomfortable.

Also, to me, there is nothing better than a bike ride or a walk early on a Saturday morning when there is nobody up yet. It's the best time of the week.

what bike are you riding?

Last edited by worth; 07-09-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #5279
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
nice dude!! I took a 10,000mah battery for my phone. by the time i was half way done I was at 30% so I just plugged it in since I have a frame bag. Battery in the frame bag, cell phone on the handle bars. Worked out pretty well.

you started at 2:30pm...yeah i'm not surprised you wanted to jump in! i started my ride at 8 am because i knew it was gonna be uncomfortable.

Also, to me, there is nothing better than a bike ride or a walk early on a Saturday morning when there is nobody up yet. It's the best time of the week.

what bike are you riding?

I was volunteering with my community stampede party this morning, but it was hot early.

My wife has my 20000mAh battery pack, I would have brought that.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #5280
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it raining a lot earlier this morning? I think I got out at the perfect time. Left at 8am and it was sprinkling a bit but nothing crazy. Now it looks scary.
Closed Thread