Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #41
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I'm im the process of converting my favorite albums in iTunes into Apple Lossless . . . Gonna need a bigger harddrive.
I'd love to have a chance to re-rip everything into lossless. I ripped most of my CD's in the early days of mp3 players at 128 kbps. I don't think I have the patience or time to go back and re-rip most of it into a lossless format, but its nice to think about.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #42
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I'd love to have a chance to re-rip everything into lossless. I ripped most of my CD's in the early days of mp3 players at 128 kbps. I don't think I have the patience or time to go back and re-rip most of it into a lossless format, but its nice to think about.
I'll be doing it piece by piece. iTunes rips directly to ALAC if you set it up, and doesn't take much time.

Unfortunately for me I've lost a ton after ripping them all at 192kbps, thinking why would I ever need better than that?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #43
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I found my QC15's on sale at a store in the South, picked them up for $290, which is $60 cheaper than I found them anywhere else. It's a lot of money for a pair of headphones, but most of the others I was looking at were between $250-270.

As for the performance of the Bose, I don't think there's anything that comes close to their design. I've had self prescribed audiophiles that openly HATE Bose products tell me that the QC15's are an incredible listening experience. The bass reproduction in them is awesome, and not over the top like the Beats, which to me sound like a 17 year old's civic a week after he got an amp and sub installed. Too much bass ruins music. I've also experienced first hand how weak Beats are. The bracket that goes over your head is cheap plastic. I've broken a pair by putting them on the same way I'd put on any pair of headphones.

It's really preference though. You shouldn't have trouble trying out any of these before you buy them, and I'd strongly encourage you to do so, if for no other reason than to make sure they fit the shape of your head and ears.
I'm gonna try out some QC15s before my return period runs out on the Beats.

Where did you listen to the Beats? In store?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #44
CaptainSunshin3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just got Monster Turbine Pro headphones. Amazing quality, amazing base...amazing everything.
CaptainSunshin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #45
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mel View Post
And for those who don't think motorcyclist should be able to listen to music, please rip the stereo out of your dash and smash yourself in the face with your cell phone.
There's a huge difference between listening to the stereo and in-ear headphones with respect to their impact on your ability to hear what's going on around you. Although it may be that on a noisy motorcylce, you can't hear anything happening around you anyways. That I wouldn't know.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #46
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I'm gonna try out some QC15s before my return period runs out on the Beats.

Where did you listen to the Beats? In store?
I bought a pair and used them for a day or so... I did that with 3 pairs before deciding on QC15's. I'm not usually that annoying as a shopper, but we're talking about damn expensive headphones.

The one's a I broke were a friends, I don't know how much they had been weakened when I did it.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I bought a pair and used them for a day or so... I did that with 3 pairs before deciding on QC15's. I'm not usually that annoying as a shopper, but we're talking about damn expensive headphones.

The one's a I broke were a friends, I don't know how much they had been weakened when I did it.
Just outta curiosity, what other phones did you try out, and why didn't they make the cut?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #48
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
There's a huge difference between listening to the stereo and in-ear headphones with respect to their impact on your ability to hear what's going on around you. Although it may be that on a noisy motorcylce, you can't hear anything happening around you anyways. That I wouldn't know.
Once you're moving at any speed, you can't hear jack on a bike. It's more wind noise than anything. A properly fitting full-face helmet helps, but even with that, it's brutal. Many riders wear earplugs on highway rides because it's so bad; if you can't hear anything anyway, it might as well be quiet rather than damaging your hearing.

Cars today are designed to block out as much outside noise as possible - the "quiet interior" is something manufacturers strive for and market. The noise-cancelling cocoon that is the modern car interior easily blocks as much sound as a helmet and in-ear headphones out in the environment. After that, music volume is music volume whether you're in a car or on a bike.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #49
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i have to be honest i just cant tell the difference between music at a 320 or higher bitrate or 128. Maybe I don't have a good ear for it, and if so, I'm fine with that lol.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #50
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mel View Post
Cars today are designed to block out as much outside noise as possible - the "quiet interior" is something manufacturers strive for and market. The noise-cancelling cocoon that is the modern car interior easily blocks as much sound as a helmet and in-ear headphones out in the environment. After that, music volume is music volume whether you're in a car or on a bike.
In a car, it's basically insulation + earplugs + music vs. insulation + music. "Music volume isn't music volume" isn't reallly accurate.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #51
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, agreed. Earphones in a car would definitely make things quieter. What I meant was that wearing earphones on a motorcycle deadens outside sound about the same amount that just being in a car in the first place does.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #52
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
i have to be honest i just cant tell the difference between music at a 320 or higher bitrate or 128. Maybe I don't have a good ear for it, and if so, I'm fine with that lol.
Try ripping something in Apple lossless. 320kbps MP3s are often pretty good, but you can usually hear the difference, especially on crash cymbals and such.

Or don't - if you don't want to risk having to re-rip all your music

Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #53
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ignorance is bliss, mick :P
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I'm im the process of converting my favorite albums in iTunes into Apple Lossless . . . Gonna need a bigger harddrive.
Just in case...

You mean you're re-burning everything right?

Simply converting crap formats to a higher bitrate will just make it sound worse.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #55
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody tried out the Sennheiser HD-1 II headphones?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #56
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just in case...

You mean you're re-burning everything right?

Simply converting crap formats to a higher bitrate will just make it sound worse.
Let's put it this way, the source file is FLAC or WAV.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #57
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
I like ear bud/in ear monitor style headphones and after reading lots of reviews, I bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4 (mainly for use with my iPhone). The sound quality is quite good and the tips are really comfortable for long periods of listening.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...e-s4-overview/
I had a pair of Shure EC2's that I loved but I lost them last summer. Since then I've been using some crap ass buds that I had around the house. After doing some online research (and thanks to this thread) I decided to buy a pair of the S4s yesterday. Hopefully they are as good as the EC2s.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #58
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I had a pair of Shure EC2's that I loved but I lost them last summer. Since then I've been using some crap ass buds that I had around the house. After doing some online research (and thanks to this thread) I decided to buy a pair of the S4s yesterday. Hopefully they are as good as the EC2s.
I used them at the gym today. They aren't as 'hardy' as the EC2's and don't feel as secure in my ears but other than that they are fine. I'd buy them again.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #59
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Those are Monster's "Beats By Dre" Studios. Very tough to get a read on them. whathifi and stereophile are both pretty big audiophile publications and they both rated them well, but there is a ton of hate for them on audiophile forums. Pretty weird.

Also pretty expensive at $349 retail. I won't pay that but I'm looking at trying them out and getting BB or FS to price match someone else.
If i ever paid $349 bucks for some headphones I think my wife would gut me.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #60
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

....Reason number 638 not to get married.