Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #21
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this kind of deal, don't be shocked to see Rittich get a 1 year deal. Whether it's one or two way, I don't know, but I think Rittich will be given the opportunity to prove himself worthy of the backup spot.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #22
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting deal. Hopefully he can emerge as a legit guy.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #23
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Rittich gets a 2 year deal as well. It would be way too risky to have both Smith and Rittich being UFAs after this season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

CapFriendly has his AHL salary for next season as $200,000. If true, that's a solid bump from the $95,000 he was making last year in Stockton.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #25
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is he waiver eligible in that first year?
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Is he waiver eligible in that first year?
Nope.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
CapFriendly has his AHL salary for next season as $200,000. If true, that's a solid bump from the $95,000 he was making last year in Stockton.
It's showing $250,000 this morning.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's showing $250,000 this morning.
Last night it was showing as unconfirmed, so they must have received confirmation overnight.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #29
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
During the second year, he'll be waiver eligible. Giving him a 1 way for that season will minimize the chance of him getting claimed if he does need to go back to the AHL then.

However, hopefully he's in the NHL full time and this won't be an issue.

Getting claimed on waivers means he gets paid at the NHL level for the rest of the year.... or goes back on waivers.

Waiver pick ups have to stay on the NHL roster of the claiming team.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #30
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Now official

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...?tid=282300716
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gillies' play was interesting when he got time this past season. Would stop everything for a 30 or 40 minute stretch but start or finish with a complete stinker or lose track of a puck on a seemingly innocent play.

When noticeable blips happen like that you wonder if it's nerves or lapses in focus. The ability is there, but like so many Flames goalie prospects have failed to do, can he take another step from farm starter and really belong in that back year of the contract?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #32
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Gillies' play was interesting when he got time this past season. Would stop everything for a 30 or 40 minute stretch but start or finish with a complete stinker or lose track of a puck on a seemingly innocent play.

When noticeable blips happen like that you wonder if it's nerves or lapses in focus. The ability is there, but like so many Flames goalie prospects have failed to do, can he take another step from farm starter and really belong in that back year of the contract?
My beer league / armchair goalie coach opinion:
  • He's lost a lot of lateral mobility after his hip surgery. Pekka Rinne and a host of other goalies with similar surgeries typically needed a full season before returning to form.
  • He's still trying to find his comfort zone in terms of depth in the crease. I noticed he does try to challenge shots aggresively but it's spotty. This is one of the single biggest adjustments to the NHL game, IMO. Adjusting to this will lead to confusion with decision making with save selection.
  • Which means in many cases, he plays deep in his net. He's also huge so he's gotten away with it. When you play deep, your margin of error is so slim... hence the noticeable blips. Make a tiny mistake before the shot, red light goes on.
  • Poor puck handler... but there are many of that type of goalie at all levels.
  • Plays a very upright game in his stance... doesn't seem to get his feet set quick enough, which also leads to those blips.

I think he's still got potential to be a decent NHL'er but there's a lot of work there. This is the season to see if he's fully recovered from surgery... I think if he doesn't show a decent progression in the AHL/NHL, his ceiling will be Curtis McElhinney territory.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like Rittich to start the season (older, has proven more at the NHL level by coming in an winning games) but I think Gillies is still on track and could play in this league. Last year was only his second full year of pro hockey but it looks like he's still progressing. If he can work on his overall consistency hopefully that will give him the confidence needed to play well in the NHL, whenever that opportunity presents itself.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #34
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
My beer league / armchair goalie coach opinion:
  • He's lost a lot of lateral mobility after his hip surgery. Pekka Rinne and a host of other goalies with similar surgeries typically needed a full season before returning to form.
  • He's still trying to find his comfort zone in terms of depth in the crease. I noticed he does try to challenge shots aggresively but it's spotty. This is one of the single biggest adjustments to the NHL game, IMO. Adjusting to this will lead to confusion with decision making with save selection.
  • Which means in many cases, he plays deep in his net. He's also huge so he's gotten away with it. When you play deep, your margin of error is so slim... hence the noticeable blips. Make a tiny mistake before the shot, red light goes on.
  • Poor puck handler... but there are many of that type of goalie at all levels.
  • Plays a very upright game in his stance... doesn't seem to get his feet set quick enough, which also leads to those blips.

I think he's still got potential to be a decent NHL'er but there's a lot of work there. This is the season to see if he's fully recovered from surgery... I think if he doesn't show a decent progression in the AHL/NHL, his ceiling will be Curtis McElhinney territory.

Kind of agree, I would add that he seems to be struggling to control his giant body and sometimes seems a bit out of place. He has all those tools, but lacks a toolbox yet. Hard to say what would be the best for his development, but the organisation probably thinks he could use 1 more year as a starter in Stockton and then maybe he could break out in the league. Rittich contract will tell us more about how our staff see the future in the crease. I guess they look for 2 year deal and Rittich would like that deal to be 1 way. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #35
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too early to give up on Gillies. A lot of NHL starters spent 120-180 games in the AHL. Gillies has only 85.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Too early to give up on Gillies. A lot of NHL starters spent 120-180 games in the AHL. Gillies has only 85.
I hear this a lot but what are the stats? Starting goalies seem to start a lot younger these days (Bob, Hellebuyck, Murray, Quick, Gibson...).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I hear this a lot but what are the stats? Starting goalies seem to start a lot younger these days (Bob, Hellebuyck, Murray, Quick, Gibson...).
I don’t know the stats, but for games played last year look at this link and compare to age. Most are 27+.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seas...ies-stats.html

I think goalies who become starters before the age of 23 are rare.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I've actually seen a chart for this (but can't seem to find it). It was specifically about goalies coming out of college programs having spent 3+ years there... such as Jimmy Howard, who unfortunately is the only name I remember from that article.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote