Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Who lives in Kincora, Hidden Valley and surrounding?

Who lives out this way that could tell me any positives/negatives for each community out that way? which community out this way would you recommend?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kincora: Downwind and downhill from Spy Hill landfill site.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I have a friend that lives in Hidden Valley and visit him quite often. The community seems to have a lot of nice things you can take advantage of, we play shinny at the outdoor rink there and it seems to be well maintained.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone? Hanson Ranch,Panorama, Evanston all these area's?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in Harvest Hills, which is close by. Express busses get you downtown fairly quickly. Shopping is close. Good neighbours. I didn't do enough research on schools, however. Unless you're Catholic, your kid will be taking the bus elsewhere.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Fugly
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We just moved out of the Evanston (Creekside) community. We actually really liked it there. Access to major roadways was good, and even better now that the ring road is open. There are lots of ammenities close by and neighbours were good. There is still lots of construction going on and supposedly there is more shopping stuff going up. It's really close to Malzac.

We moved because we have three small kids that are starting school within the next few years, and the designated schools were in Cambrian Heights if I remember right, which would have meant a lengthy bus ride for the kids twice a day, which we didn't like. Who knows what the future holds though and the sales guy told us they have designated land for future schools (coug..bull$hit...cough). Also, I believe Emergency Services are located in Hidden Valley, which means fire and ambulance have to go all the way down Beddington Blvd to 128th Ave to access the community, which makes it an almost 10 minute trip to some areas of Evanston.

Overall, I'll give it a 7 out of 10.

Hope that helps.

I never took the bus from there but I'm assuming that using transit sucks.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lived in Hidden Valley for seven years ....

Pros: Public and Catholic K-9 schools, close to major roadways, lots of green spaces, relatively quiet, reasonably affordable, all types of homes, construction completed (no dust or trucks)

Cons: Very few ...Hidden Valley Drive (the main road through the community) can be a racetrack some times, mild vandalism issues occasionally (could happen anywhere) ... that's about it

All in all, enjoyed my time living there .... just moved for a better view and bigger house.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I live in Kincora. Smaller community than the others with a great pathway through the ravine in the middle of the community.
tigger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
skippy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

In Kincora as well, it is a smaller community but close to amenities and great access to Stoney.
In regards to the downwind/downhill from spy hill, we have a great buffer - the community of Sherwood.
And there's a tower. With a light.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Coventry Hills is really nice. We are technically NE, but on the west of deerfoot

Superstore, Cardel Place, Can Tire, Home Depot, Balzac (Cross Iron Mills), Airdrie and more all all really close and accessible.

A multi-services building (Fire, EMS, Police) is nearby (short response times).

Close to major roadways-Deerfoot, Country Hills Blvd, Stoney Trail, Harvest Hills Blvd-makes getting almost anywhere super easy.

As for schools, more get added all the time, as this community is growing so fast. As long as the Junior High and Public High school get built in the next 5-7 years, my kids won't have to bus it at all!!!
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

con - You'll be real close to that behemoth mall in Balzac.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Smoke-eater
Draft Pick

Lived in Hidden Valley since the first developement. Its a subdivision like any other. One thing I like is the access out of here is really good cause you can take any number of routes. When the kids were younger and I'd take them to the outdoor rink, I couldn't believe how good the ice was. The guy takes care of it like a greens keeper.

One thing, a buddy of mine used to come over here and one day he remarked that he liked Hidden Valley ..."cause its all white folk here". I'd never given that any thought and he's a little thick anyway, that aside a number of my son's friends come from various ethnic backgrounds and there all polite well-mannered kids.
Smoke-eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Andrew
Scoring Winger

Exp:

coventry hills rocks, close to the deerfoot, superstore, future shop staples, with the ring road it is really fast to get to the west side as well.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

living in HV and it was accessible until recent year's country hills boulevard construction, let's not talk about any stupid road closures / detours, lack of planning bottle necking of traffic, once it's done, the traffic should be back to normal. i live 5 min away from deerfoot and stoney trail, so it's really convenient in the future.
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've got a buddy that moved to Evanston. Now I see him about twice a year.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

sandstone here.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kincora is unlikely to ever have an elementary or any other kind of school within the community. there isn't the room up on that hill.

I have two friends that live up there though, it's a great place to live, especially if you back onto the green spaces.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Evanston here...I like it a lot. Great community to be raising a family in, and now that we have the shopping centre its a very convenient place to live too. Five years ago, not so much, but now its awesome.

The parks and playgrounds are great for the kids, nice walking trails along the creek and you can get down to the shopping centre without driving.

The ring road is an incredible boon for Evanston residents - it puts a ton of access into the various major western residential centers in the city at our fingertips.

People will probably bitch about transit, but its not that bad - the 420 (insert joke here) runs about every 20 minutes during rush hour and gets you up to the 301 express that runs downtown. There is less frequent service until about 11pm at night, and it also runs on weekends.

One other thing that I like, is that Evanston/Creekside is kinda isolated - its bordered by the ring road and doesn't have any adjacent communities, so you have no flow-through traffic at all. As a result, you don't see much in the way of vandalism, theft, crime, littering, etc, because there are not really any strangers moving through your neck of the woods.

The only con to Evanston to watch out for might be that the east side of the community that borders the ring road could potentially be fairly noisy. I'm about a block in and its not too bad, but if you were the first line of houses that conveniently forms a sound wall for the rest of us, I imagine their backyards are pretty noisy at rush hour.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

the fields where the baseball diamonds are now is a future school site in Kincora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
Kincora is unlikely to ever have an elementary or any other kind of school within the community. there isn't the room up on that hill.

I have two friends that live up there though, it's a great place to live, especially if you back onto the green spaces.
tigger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger777 View Post
the fields where the baseball diamonds are now is a future school site in Kincora
Evanston is zoned for a school as well, not sure where.