Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #521
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The delayed start to everyone else probably hasn't helped. Concerned about Sutter saying there was too many preseason games, yet 2 games in we look rusty
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #522
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s two games and it’s an avalanche of I told you so’s from a few folks. Unbearable.

It’s two games.

Two.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #523
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Or people are tired of ridiculous doom and gloom posts like the team will be out of it by American Thanksgiving.
Doom and gloom? It's an honest question. Their schedule is brutal in the first 20 games. Coming out of this within a couple games of .500 would be a pretty good result. They play 12 games against teams that finished ahead of them in the standings last season, only 6 against teams that finished below them. You don't take that into consideration?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #524
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What two playoff series wins in 6 years as a generational talent?

Swept last year by an inferior Jets team.

Was directly responsible for two game winning goals by the Jets.
McDoofus doesn’t even have 2 playoff series wins. He has one. Against a shorthanded San Jose Sharks team. That is it!! Generational talent my ass!!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #525
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
McDoofus doesn’t even have 2 playoff series wins. He has one. Against a shorthanded San Jose Sharks team. That is it!! Generational talent my ass!!
Yup, my mistake. For some reason I thought they won two that year.

Agreed. Six years he's been in the NHL and achieved zero. Nothing. Nada. Nil.

If I were the Darryl I would have sent the Flames out on the ice with brooms the other night.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #526
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be fair, McDavid plays for the oilers. Pretty much any other team besides Buffalo or Arizona would've found a way to succeed with him by now

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #527
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
I’d disagree. They are gonna surprise the traditional oilers haters really wrong this year. They have more than we can offer. Sure they have mike smith but they have Bouchard looking to break with the group. They have broberg looking to make hay with them. And they have a decent dman in Darnell I’d say.
Sure, whatever you say Oiler lover!!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #528
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They exploited something the league changed course on. Don’t be sour because we didn’t do it better/worse.
#### off with the “we” Oiler fanboy. You aren’t fooling anybody!!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #529
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM, don't want to feed the troll
Old 10-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #530
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames schedule is also hurting the Flames IMO...it takes time to get up to game speed. They are behind everyone.

Teams are playing game 5 tonight
Old 10-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #531
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recently started posting more only to be positive, but man. How do some people live their life with the negativity. It’s hockey….breath, look up at the sky and take it in.

That’s my advice for the day. Enjoy.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #532
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh he's a generational talent...in the regular season. That roster is assembled like a fantasy team, and wilts in the playoffs as you'd expect. It's so funny how Greaser fans forget this every year and need to be reminded in the spring haha
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #533
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
He just turned 27 last week, and has scored the second most goals of anyone in his draft year after MacKinnon. So he peaked at 24?

You're right that he needs someone to feed him the puck. But when he has that, he's averaged 28 goals per year, if we treat last year as an aberration/injury year.

No-one's making the case that he's McDavid. He lacks fire, for sure. But he's a smart player with good hands, and with a winger that can distribute, he'll score. The Flames have two.

The idea that he's useless all of a sudden is kind of silly, two games into the season -- unless his injuries are more serious than we know. If he's healthy and is paired with a winger that rounds out his game, he shouldn't even have peaked yet.

This is a good point, should we be playing to his strengths and not worry so much about decline issues? Maybe we need to be acquiring or trading for a playmaker? When you look at Bennett we didn't have the right players to complement his skill set. Maybe this is the approach we need to take with Monahan. He may not be the player he was before but if we can find someone like Johnny that can feed him in the slot that is where he excels.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #534
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
This is a good point, should we be playing to his strengths and not worry so much about decline issues? Maybe we need to be acquiring or trading for a playmaker? When you look at Bennett we didn't have the right players to complement his skill set. Maybe this is the approach we need to take with Monahan. He may not be the player he was before but if we can find someone like Johnny that can feed him in the slot that is where he excels.
If you need to prop Monahan up just to help his counting stats, I'd suggest the time has probably come to move on. You can probably find a generic 3rd line C who will actually play effective 2 way hockey and contribute more to wins. If Monahan isn't scoring or needs to be a leech to score... that doesn't actually help win games

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #535
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
#### off with the “we” Oiler fanboy. You aren’t fooling anybody!!
Get over yourself. Prove it.

I still see things I have habitually witnessed with this franchise. How many opening game losses in a row? How many opening home rink losses? The writing is on the wall to me. I may be guilty of being pessimistic but I’m not angry.

This team has sapped much of my expectations and it’s left me indifferent. I will always watch and cheer and keep up with the prospects but your accusations are baseless and address zero of my points.

It’s okay if you want the good poster bad poster narrative. At least I’m willing to communicate.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #536
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It’s two games and it’s an avalanche of I told you so’s from a few folks. Unbearable.

It’s two games.

Two.
2 games vs divisional rivals. We missed the playoffs by 4 points last season, these games matter.

I agree some of the negative posts are over the top dramatic, but dismissing the results as only 2 games is niave.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #537
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
2 games vs divisional rivals. We missed the playoffs by 4 points last season, these games matter.

I agree some of the negative posts are over the top dramatic, but dismissing the results as only 2 games is niave.
2 games with 62% possession

Also 82 games this season not 56
Old 10-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #538
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get over yourself. Prove it.

I still see things I have habitually witnessed with this franchise. How many opening game losses in a row? How many opening home rink losses? The writing is on the wall to me. I may be guilty of being pessimistic but I’m not angry.

This team has sapped much of my expectations and it’s left me indifferent. I will always watch and cheer and keep up with the prospects but your accusations are baseless and address zero of my points.

It’s okay if you want the good poster bad poster narrative. At least I’m willing to communicate.
If you are here to brag about the Oilers leave

It's a Flames PGT and the Oilers weren't the opponent
Old 10-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #539
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

I don't think he is dismissing results I think he is addressing some of the posters who are on the brink of being obsessive, compulsive.

You know when a kid throws a tantrum he will say the most outlandish things and then there are those who crave attention by being as negative as possible.

One can still observe a Flames loss and see some positives but some on here are acting just like childish teenagers.

Personally I just stay out of game threads and enjoy the game. Not too hard to single out who the rational posters are and the ones acting reactively and overly compulsively.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #540
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith gives up 4 goals on 14 shots against ANA with their defence responsible.

McBaby has a lovely look at the 4th goal as he coasts across the blue line. He is truly a defensive liability.

Yup Ziggy they are building something special up there.

Are we jealous? Not on your misguided life.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 10-19-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: