Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #601
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays off for her.
Did any of you hip shooters listen to the actual quote or are you just taking that article title as gospel?

"I don't believe that talking about a climate emergency and oil/gas are mutually exclusive ideas. I think as a matter of fact we've forgotten what we're good at; we're good at energy production. And we are also leaders in innovative ways to practice energy production. We became fixated on that end product being oil/gas, so let's move past the outputs and start talking about the processes again. And let's put ourselves on the map as a city that is an absolute leader in a transitioning economy. And let's show the world that by using innovation and technology, we can come up with sustainable, greener and cleaner solutions across all of our business sectors. That's the message we need to set; let's not get hung up on what it is we need to be producing. Let's talk about the ways that we get there."

I'm sure you all as reasonable people can see message - this exact quote from her - as saying Calgary must focus on shifting from focusing on only producing oil/gas to expanding Calgary's ability to deliver innovative and cleaner solutions in energy across other sectors.

There is literally nothing in her quote about "moving past" O/G. This is a really poor article title, but not surprised it's worded like that from the BOE Report.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #602
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if there is enough time for her to organize a trip with her new councillors to that climate summit in Glasgow. It sounds like it will be a huge party with all the A-lister greenies.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #603
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Like moths to a flame.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #604
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Did any of you hip shooters listen to the actual quote or are you just taking that article title as gospel?

"I don't believe that talking about a climate emergency and oil/gas are mutually exclusive ideas. I think as a matter of fact we've forgotten what we're good at; we're good at energy production. And we are also leaders in innovative ways to practice energy production. We became fixated on that end product being oil/gas, so let's move past the outputs and start talking about the processes again. And let's put ourselves on the map as a city that is an absolute leader in a transitioning economy. And let's show the world that by using innovation and technology, we can come up with sustainable, greener and cleaner solutions across all of our business sectors. That's the message we need to set; let's not get hung up on what it is we need to be producing. Let's talk about the ways that we get there."

I'm sure you all as reasonable people can see message - this exact quote from her - as saying Calgary must focus on shifting from focusing on only producing oil/gas to expanding Calgary's ability to deliver innovative and cleaner solutions in energy across other sectors.

There is literally nothing in her quote about "moving past" O/G. This is a really poor article title, but not surprised it's worded like that from the BOE Report.
GREEEEAAAT!! Now we'll have politicians from 3 levels of government to blame for issues in the oil industry.

Thanks Trudeau, Notley and Gondek...
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #605
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well.

That's not a great start.

She didn’t exactly say anything controversial there.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #606
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Considering that half of downtown Calgary is sitting empty thanks to oil companies disappearing, I don't see how it's controversial at all for the mayor to say that we need to diversify. Jesus there are a lot of O&G drama queens on this board
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #607
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's surprising to you that Gondek shows concern about the environment, perhaps you didn't bother reading her platform:

https://www.jyotigondek.ca/priorities.html#KeyDetails

But her full statement is entirely reasonable. All smart energy companies are already working on it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #608
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You look at any other major cities, they’re not known for one thing. Are Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto all defined by a single industry or resource that if it went away they’d collapse? We need to get out of this O&G funk. There are a lot of smart and entrepreneurial minds in this city.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #609
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Was that in her platform? If not I'd say announcing a new top priority one day after the election is a bit much.
She said it several times during the past month, especially when asked "What would be your first action as mayor?"

So promise kept.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #610
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Folks really have to get past the Alberta O&G needs defending thing. The false belief that we can continue business as usual will be fatal. All the major companies are all saying the exact same things about transition and innovation. Like it or not the party stops by 2050, we have 30 years to pull this off.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #611
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oil and gas abandons calgary yet people are appaualed that calgary wants to start moving away from oil and gas, do people just like looking at empty building there or something?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #612
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What exactly does “declaring a climate emergency” do, though? Like what impact does that have, or what new powers does it give the city?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #613
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What exactly does “declaring a climate emergency” do, though? Like what impact does that have, or what new powers does it give the city?
At worst it’s meaningless virtue signalling. At best it signals to the outside world that Calgary is more than just O+G.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #614
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
At worst it’s meaningless virtue signalling. At best it signals to the outside world that Calgary is more than just O+G.
I think it could be worse than meaningless virtue signaling if it signals to O&G companies looking to staff back up now that prices are rebounding that they aren't welcome here.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #615
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

In her interview on Global, she mentioned that it allows the City to access funding by invoking that declaration. I haven’t been able find anything on, so not sure if I misheard that per
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #616
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it could be worse than meaningless virtue signaling if it signals to O&G companies looking to staff back up now that prices are rebounding that they aren't welcome here.
If you listen to her interview and compare it to Suncor’s climate report do you think the positions are materially different?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #617
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Companies aren’t really staffing back up though.

Tourmaline just bought 5-6 companies over the last 2 years and fired just about everybody.

Oil companies haven’t really been compensating people or providing jobs. Mainly because the jobs have been kind of unnecessary/ redundant. Agree with others that have said so many good companies have already started working on energy transition technology.

Canada literally is a world leader in producing the cleanest oil and gas on earth and is already looking at alternative energy sources (even renewables etc. but also Hydrogen, ammonia, etc.).

Like I said in the other post. Per National Bank. $175B of capital expected to be deployed in energy transition projects over next decade. It’s already happening. If Gondek helps the message get across to other Canadians it will only help. This is what you do, you don’t go piss away money on an ideologically entrenched anti-science war room. Gotta play the game.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #618
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure O&G companies' feelings are hurt quite as easily as those of posters in this thread.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #619
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
I heard on the radio that Farkas is being consistent in not accepting his pension and transition allowance. It amounts to over $200k so I have to give him props on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ncil-1.4384388

A four year old article, but I think the key word here is 'enroll'. presumably to be eligible for this pension he would have had to take payroll deductions over the past 4 years which he didn't, so it's not a choice he's making now. And true I'm sure there is some matching portion of the pension program that costs the tax payers money.

But more importantly, when I hire someone for a job representing me, I want them to take what they are owed. We don't need Maglioccas taking more than they are owed, but we also don't need politics to become even moreso exclusively the realm of those who can afford to be in politics. Rejecting pay as a political statement is a dangerous president that pushes out some and ingrains people that are probably far less desirable.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:43 PM   #620
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
That Jason Luan comment pisses me off. This shouldn’t be a race thing. You shouldn’t vote for someone because of their nationality. I guess I should have voted for Joe Magliocca just because we are both Italian? No, I didn’t vote for him because he is a tax thief. What an idiot. On a side note, if Chu won simply because the Chinese community in ward 4 voted for him because he is Chinese then that is a disgrace.
Sigh. Yes. And after I just defended against that idea in this thread too.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote