Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #1701
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Actually I will offer a rare counterpoint to this.

My first purchase from Brinkhaus ever was almost my first new Rolex purchase, my stainless 114300 dark rhodium. I had been in a few times looking and had spoken to the same guy on every occasion (rep's name was Tom). He had been nice enough to show me whatever I wanted to see, IWCs, some Pateks that cost the same as my car (which in hindsight, I should have bought because now they're worth slightly more than double), but I really wanted to get a brand new Rolex and couldn't come to a decision on what I wanted.

When I saw the dark rhodium 114300 at Baselworld, that was it, I wanted that watch. So I went to see Tom and asked about the 114300, and we chatted about it for while, he showed me the red grape and Seahawks dial, and I loved the size at 39mm but I told him I really had my eye on the dark rhodium. He said he can take my information and let me know if he can get one in. I wasn't expecting to hear anything and put it out of mind.

A couple days later I get a call from Tom that they got a dark rhodium 114300 in, would I like to come see it? So I went in, watch is still in the foam shipping crate with the plastic on. I bought it immediately. So sometimes, sometimes you might luck out if you deal with the right people.
Wow that's actually my now-discontinued grail dream watch!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #1702
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

My first purchase from Brinkhaus ever was almost my first new Rolex purchase, my stainless 114300 dark rhodium. I had been in a few times looking and had spoken to the same guy on every occasion (rep's name was Tom). He had been nice enough to show me whatever I wanted to see, IWCs, some Pateks that cost the same as my car (which in hindsight, I should have bought because now they're worth slightly more than double), but I really wanted to get a brand new Rolex and couldn't come to a decision on what I wanted.

When I saw the dark rhodium 114300 at Baselworld, that was it, I wanted that watch. So I went to see Tom and asked about the 114300, and we chatted about it for while, he showed me the red grape and Seahawks dial, and I loved the size at 39mm but I told him I really had my eye on the dark rhodium. He said he can take my information and let me know if he can get one in. I wasn't expecting to hear anything and put it out of mind.

A couple days later I get a call from Tom that they got a dark rhodium 114300 in, would I like to come see it? So I went in, watch is still in the foam shipping crate with the plastic on. I bought it immediately. So sometimes, sometimes you might luck out if you deal with the right people.
Brinkhaus and Tom are superlative to deal with when it comes to purchasing a Rolex. Love this place. I try to stay away.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #1703
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom is awesome, and when I'm ready for my next watch purchase, I'll be going to see him about it. Great guy.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #1704
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How did you track down that this particular dealer had it in stock? Did you just check online or call a bunch of store?
I had to call around. I just tried AD's in major cities nearby like Edm, Vancouver, etc. with no luck. Then I tried smaller cities and got a hit with Janina's. They had one in stock that was just what I needed. However, they wouldn't hold it for me beyond 24 hours so I had to make a quick decision, and pay for the whole thing in advance. After that, they let me pick it up at my convenience.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #1705
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

My first purchase from Brinkhaus ever was also my first new Rolex purchase, my stainless 114300 dark rhodium. I had been in a few times looking and had spoken to the same guy on every occasion (rep's name was Tom). He had been nice enough to show me whatever I wanted to see, IWCs, some Pateks that cost the same as my car (which in hindsight, I should have bought because now they're worth slightly more than double), but I really wanted to get a brand new Rolex and couldn't come to a decision on what I wanted.

Brinkhaus has always been great to me as well... Top notch place that - IMO - earns your business as a brick and mortar store vs the online shops (though I find the recent Chrono24 news fascinating).

I have a similar story to yours that ends in tragedy (for me) - My wife has a special affinity for little light blue boxes and their contents, so we've become quite close with the associate at the store. Over the course of several visits, she comes to recognize that I have a thing for watches (I guess that's part of her job, to size up the customers).

One day while we're in the store, the conversation turns to watches again and eventually "what do you like?" & "what's your favorite?", to which I replied "A Nautilus, specifically the 5980." To my surprise, she replies "well, have you seen the Tiffany edition Nautilus?"... I had no idea such a thing existed, but she went on to explain the longstanding collaboration, etc. By the end of it all, I was "on their list", which I thought was total bologna.

Wouldn't you know, I actually got the call! Which was partly amazing, but mostly tragic, as that watch was so far out of my league, I had no choice but to mumble a stunned "thanks, but no thanks"... Now that I've reminded myself of this, I need to go cry in a corner.

The moral of the story is, build relationships and never say no!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #1706
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Brinkhaus has always been great to me as well... Top notch place that - IMO - earns your business as a brick and mortar store vs the online shops (though I find the recent Chrono24 news fascinating).

I have a similar story to yours that ends in tragedy (for me) - My wife has a special affinity for little light blue boxes and their contents, so we've become quite close with the associate at the store. Over the course of several visits, she comes to recognize that I have a thing for watches (I guess that's part of her job, to size up the customers).

One day while we're in the store, the conversation turns to watches again and eventually "what do you like?" & "what's your favorite?", to which I replied "A Nautilus, specifically the 5980." To my surprise, she replies "well, have you seen the Tiffany edition Nautilus?"... I had no idea such a thing existed, but she went on to explain the longstanding collaboration, etc. By the end of it all, I was "on their list", which I thought was total bologna.

Wouldn't you know, I actually got the call! Which was partly amazing, but mostly tragic, as that watch was so far out of my league, I had no choice but to mumble a stunned "thanks, but no thanks"... Now that I've reminded myself of this, I need to go cry in a corner.

The moral of the story is, build relationships and never say no!
The “one that got away” story for me was also a Patek, specifically the Nautilus 5711 in stainless steel with blue dial. Could have bought one at $25k brand new, it was right there and available. Now … well it was a $55k piece two years ago, now it’s a six-figure watch. -cries-

What’s the recent Chrono24 news? I must have missed it.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #1707
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The “one that got away” story for me was also a Patek, specifically the Nautilus 5711 in stainless steel with blue dial. Could have bought one at $25k brand new, it was right there and available. Now … well it was a $55k piece two years ago, now it’s a six-figure watch. -cries-

What’s the recent Chrono24 news? I must have missed it.
Fortunately, I don't really feel like it's the "one that got away"... I find the dial relatively inelegant and don't particularly like it (though I wouldn't kick it out of bed), so the fact that the price was insane just made saying no that much easier... The fact that pricing has gone from insane to flat-out bananas stings and gives me pause to think 'I guess I would have been happy enough with that on my wrist, knowing it would be worth a house someday"

Chrono24 has raised several rounds of funding now, most recently from an arm of LVMH and is eyeing an IPO with a valuation in excess of $1B... I think it's neat to see the secondary market being legitimized and a market leader crystalized.

Last edited by you&me; 10-20-2021 at 06:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #1708
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Picked this mofo up as a thank you Christmas gift for Dad. He would never spend this much on himself, so I had to step it up and do it for him. Hope he likes it, cuz it was a pain in the ass to find something with all the shortages out there.

Nice watch and nice son!
Is it a 36 or 41mm?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #1709
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chrono24 has raised several rounds of funding now, most recently from an arm of LVMH and is eyeing an IPO with a valuation in excess of $1B... I think it's neat to see the secondary market being legitimized and a market leader crystalized.
That is really cool. I've bought a couple pieces off of Chrono24 (Speedy 3752.50 and a 38mm Breitling SOH Blue/Blue on Milanese) and have been really happy with the experiences thus far.

Quote:
Fortunately, I don't really feel like it's the "one that got away"... I find the dial relatively inelegant and don't particularly like it (though I wouldn't kick it out of bed), so the fact that the price was insane just made saying no that much easier... The fact that pricing has gone from insane to flat-out bananas stings and gives me pause to think 'I guess I would have been happy enough with that on my wrist, knowing it would be worth a house someday"
I've always loved the Nautilus -- and the Royal Oak, another Gérald Genta design. I liked that the 5711 wasn't too shouty or busy.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #1710
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That is really cool. I've bought a couple pieces off of Chrono24 (Speedy 3752.50 and a 38mm Breitling SOH Blue/Blue on Milanese) and have been really happy with the experiences thus far.

I've always loved the Nautilus -- and the Royal Oak, another Gérald Genta design. I liked that the 5711 wasn't too shouty or busy.
I too love the Genta designs. I have a thing for chronos, extra dials and symmetry (though I love me a Lange 1), but strangely, it took me a while to 'discover' the Royal Oak Chrono. I had friends with Offshores and I never clicked with them, but when the Nautilus prices exploded, I was happy to find the ROC. I still remember a year ago when you could buy a gold ROC for the price of a stainless Nautilus, which was a total no-brainer. Now that's no longer the case, but the Royal Oak is still a relative bargain... I've got clearance from my wife (not to be cross-referenced with the homemaker thread ) for a ROC when my biz hits my next (self imposed) milestone.

Last edited by you&me; 10-20-2021 at 02:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #1711
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I too love the Genta designs. I have a thing for chronos, extra dials and symmetry (though I love me a Lange 1), but strangely, it took me a while to 'discover' the Royal Oak Chrono. I had friends with Offshores and I never clicked with them, but when the Nautilus prices exploded, I was happy to find the ROC. I still remember a year ago when you could buy a gold ROC for the price of a stainless Nautilus, which was a total no-brainer. Now that's no longer the case, but the Royal Oak is still a relative bargain... I've got clearance from my wife (not to be cross-referenced with the homemaker thread ) for a ROC when my biz hits my next (self imposed) milestone.
What's said in the watch thread stays in the watch thread hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #1712
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

If I ever get a really fancy watch imma call it a timepiece. I think that would annoy the fata out of people in a most delicious way.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #1713
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If I ever get a really fancy watch imma call it a timepiece. I think that would annoy the fata out of people in a most delicious way.
I'll make sure to post about you in r/watchescirclejerk
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #1714
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'll make sure to post about you in r/watchescirclejerk
I would be honoured.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #1715
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I plan on getting a RO for my 40th (I'm 37 now). My initials happen to be AP as well, so will be a fitting timepiece for the occasion.
Probably should get waitlisted now, but I'm waiting/hoping for a Vancouver AP boutique to open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #1716
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I plan on getting a RO for my 40th (I'm 37 now). My initials happen to be AP as well, so will be a fitting timepiece for the occasion.
Probably should get waitlisted now, but I'm waiting/hoping for a Vancouver AP boutique to open.
Details!?

Personally, I'm targeting a Chrono in stainless w/ blue dial, or if things go gangbusters (or maybe as a trade-up), rose gold w/ blue dial.

This is no doubt influenced by the aesthetics of my first love - the 5980.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:24 PM   #1717
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Details!?

Personally, I'm targeting a Chrono in stainless w/ blue dial, or if things go gangbusters (or maybe as a trade-up), rose gold w/ blue dial.

This is no doubt influenced by the aesthetics of my first love - the 5980.
Not sure on details yet.
I have a blue VC Overseas so I'm not after a blue dial RO.
Probably most keen on a steel with black dial 15400 but still undecided.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #1718
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pretty cool:

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/specials/racing-works.html

Any product that has David Coulthard in the video gets a +1 from me.

You can buy it here,

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/watch-coll...eels-raci.html

Or get in on the auction for #1.

https://www.bonhams.com/online_auctions/27446/

But I'm totally going to win it, so don't bother.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #1719
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, that IWC has a NATO strap! Sliver may appreciate.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #1720
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Hey, that IWC has a NATO strap! Sliver may appreciate.
Holy crap, I do love that. And the watch strap makes it IMO. Sick watch.