Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #4161
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've got laminate in my basement and we put in pretty thick stuff as well as putting in the plastic dimple stuff to create an air gap.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dmx...2-0/1001513953

I don't really feel the floor is overly cold but I wouldn't call it warm either, it's still a hard floor.

We did in floor heating in the bathroom only.

Could use area rugs overtop laminate/vinyl as well.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #4162
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Anybody here have hard floors (vinyl or laminate) in their basement? Does it feel cold to the touch?

I am losing this battle on a basement reno also, and have an older home so there is definitely no insulation under the slab. I like the look of vinyl compared to carpet but don't want to be freezing my feet.
So, I finished my laminate install. I actually have a brand new false floor (which wasn’t factored into having to replace) so I can’t say regarding direct to concrete.

What I will say is this. Hard floors suck. I’m really happy with the visual of the laminate we went with - they actually look more like a finished hardwood than the ‘luxury’ vinyl. But in terms of foot feel, acoustics, and perceived temperature, it’s a total downgrade in actual space enjoyment. I can’t imagine how dissatisfied I’d be if it were right over concrete...my false floor probably helps more than I know in that regard. We’ve been warm, but I’m curious to see how the space ‘feels’ when it’s -30 and basement is under heated.

I went with Roberts Super Felt underlay. Far more expensive than the useless foam stuff you often see, but it feels like it’s worth it ($.65sq/ft). Even with the false floor and 12mm plank, it’s cold to the touch. And this is, according to everything I could find, the ‘warmer’ option. Vinyl plank is thinner, apparently tends to feel colder, and offers less noise absorption.

I would avoid vinyl direct to concrete if at all possible. What a stupid trend.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #4163
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a home inspector they've used in the past? Had a guy lined up but he's apparenlty just moved to BC.
I used Rick from Stand Home Inspection - he was great - even found some serious issues in our first house that helped us walk away from it.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #4164
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a hookup or recommendation for an insulated garage door?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #4165
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Anyone have a hookup or recommendation for an insulated garage door?
Can't comment on if he is any good or not, but we do have a CP connection:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...94#post8014194
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #4166
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
So, I finished my laminate install. I actually have a brand new false floor (which wasn’t factored into having to replace) so I can’t say regarding direct to concrete.

What I will say is this. Hard floors suck. I’m really happy with the visual of the laminate we went with - they actually look more like a finished hardwood than the ‘luxury’ vinyl. But in terms of foot feel, acoustics, and perceived temperature, it’s a total downgrade in actual space enjoyment. I can’t imagine how dissatisfied I’d be if it were right over concrete...my false floor probably helps more than I know in that regard. We’ve been warm, but I’m curious to see how the space ‘feels’ when it’s -30 and basement is under heated.

I went with Roberts Super Felt underlay. Far more expensive than the useless foam stuff you often see, but it feels like it’s worth it ($.65sq/ft). Even with the false floor and 12mm plank, it’s cold to the touch. And this is, according to everything I could find, the ‘warmer’ option. Vinyl plank is thinner, apparently tends to feel colder, and offers less noise absorption.

I would avoid vinyl direct to concrete if at all possible. What a stupid trend.
It sounds like you need some really fancy memory foam slippers to go with that new floor.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #4167
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Slippers aren't manly.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #4168
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Slippers aren't manly.
Some of the things we do for manly reasons are stupid and very obviously not as enjoyable as a good alternative.

How manly is riding a rascal, my friend?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #4169
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Some of the things we do for manly reasons are stupid and very obviously not as enjoyable as a good alternative.

How manly is riding a rascal, my friend?
Haha, I'm far from manly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #4170
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Gonna wear whatever slippers I want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #4171
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you wear slippers then...
Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #4172
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Gonna wear whatever slippers I want.

I’d trip on those tails and be the guy found dead at the bottom of the staircase.

Slippers are a must. Which is bull####, I wear shoes all day, when I get home I want to be free damn it.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #4173
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
So you wear slippers then...
No, because they're not manly.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #4174
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

In attempting to install a Nest doorbell I've run into some issues. The doorbell is installed and camera works fine but the chime wont ring indoors, outdoors only, which is useless.

From what I've read this is either the chime (mine is broken so ordered a new set) or transformer. My doorbell transformer looks like its connected to the electrical panel. I think to replace it I would need to take off the front of the entire electrical panel, more than I'd wanna do. And to do that safely I'd need to flip off the main breaker.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the chime needs replacing so would that be enough or do I have to replace the transformer too?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #4175
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
In attempting to install a Nest doorbell I've run into some issues. The doorbell is installed and camera works fine but the chime wont ring indoors, outdoors only, which is useless.

From what I've read this is either the chime (mine is broken so ordered a new set) or transformer. My doorbell transformer looks like its connected to the electrical panel. I think to replace it I would need to take off the front of the entire electrical panel, more than I'd wanna do. And to do that safely I'd need to flip off the main breaker.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the chime needs replacing so would that be enough or do I have to replace the transformer too?
Door bells work by when you push the button it essentially completes a circuit that causes the hammer to strike the bell. Because Smart doorbells need constant power, they sometimes draw enough power to cause the chime to ring constantly or nearly push the striker right against the chime plate.

At my house, my Skybell HD caused the chime to ding, ding, ding constantly. The Ring Pro caused an annoying hum in the chime as the Ring was drawing enough power to almost try and activate the striker.

The Ring pro comes with a little resistor device that you wire into the chime to ensure the Ring is powered and not the chime until the button is pressed.

I wired the skybell at the back door into it as well bypassing the chime entirely and just bought a Ring wireless chime. Was a real pain in the ass.

Is the a buzz or him coming from your chime? Hopefully my experience helps wven though they are different devices.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #4176
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the transformer big enough ?

I had to swap one for my cousin when he installed his ring camera a year or so ago...
Old 10-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #4177
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

No buzz or hum just a chime from the doorbell itself on the outside of the house when you press the doorbell. I have the indoor chime turned on (app setting) and same thing. My guess is it’s the chime itself which costs $30 but looks like it has about $0.30 of parts in it. I’m gonna swap that out and see if that’s it. If not it’s the transformer. The kit comes with a new transformer which is 16V which should be enough for the doorbell, I just really don’t wanna take apart the whole electrical panel to replace the transformer
Old 10-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #4178
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I wired the skybell at the back door into it as well bypassing the chime entirely and just bought a Ring wireless chime. Was a real pain in the ass.
I have a Wyze doorbell and it required bypassing the house chime entirely. It came with a wifi chime instead and I prefer that, you can put it wherever you want (with an outlet), have multiple chimes in the house if you buy extras, and change the sound. Disabling the house chime also stopped my kids from smacking the basement doorbell randomly and causing confusion upstairs
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #4179
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I have a Wyze doorbell and it required bypassing the house chime entirely. It came with a wifi chime instead and I prefer that, you can put it wherever you want (with an outlet), have multiple chimes in the house if you buy extras, and change the sound. Disabling the house chime also stopped my kids from smacking the basement doorbell randomly and causing confusion upstairs
I bought a wifi chime for the ring we have also, and completely bypassed the chime in the house. I can’t recall what the exact issue was (some of these things sound similar!), but I just thought that it wasn’t worth the hassle.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #4180
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

A wifi chime would be easier. I wish I would’ve thought of that!