Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #381
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Pretty sure you're stuck. One of the reasons I'm not considering any international trips for awhile yet.
Can confirm a co-worker went to LA this summer and tested positive on way back home. Had to camp in LA for 10 days until negative test came back.

I am going to Hawaii in early December with the family 10 days. I am pretty sure we are getting stuck. Which isnít an issue except for the price of accommodation for 2 weeks end of December would be. That could hurt.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #382
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Can confirm a co-worker went to LA this summer and tested positive on way back home. Had to camp in LA for 10 days until negative test came back.

I am going to Hawaii in early December with the family 10 days. I am pretty sure we are getting stuck. Which isnít an issue except for the price of accommodation for 2 weeks end of December would be. That could hurt.
We did Hawaii (Big Island) this summer. I found it pretty easy to stay outside/away from people pretty much the entire trip after we arrived.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #383
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
How do you use your positive test? A screen shot from myhealth or do you have to print it out?

I tested positive in mid September and am travelling to the US in late November.
I received my positive test in a pdf file from the location I tested at. I print it out and keep it with my passport and vaccination card.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:39 PM   #384
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am going to Hawaii in early December with the family 10 days. I am pretty sure we are getting stuck. Which isn’t an issue except for the price of accommodation for 2 weeks end of December would be. That could hurt.
I didn't have to present a negative test. Just proof I tested positive more than 14 days prior to coming in to Canada. Delta agents checked me in no problem. Westjet agents at my connector heading into Canada tried to tell me I was wrong. These are the one who check your ArriveCan and Tests at the gate. I had to show them this page

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

"If you’ve already had COVID-19 you may continue to test positive after you’ve recovered and are no longer infectious.

If you are now symptom-free, you can provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test when crossing the border, instead of a negative one.

The test must have been conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days before:
the initial scheduled departure time of your aircraft
your scheduled entry into Canada by water or land
The proof of the positive result must be from an accepted type of molecular test"
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #385
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, making someone get a negative test after having had covid could be a long wait since some people continue to test positive for a long time after.

I don't know if it's different now, but back in the spring, when close contacts mattered, if you were beyond 10 days but less than 90 days from a positive test, you didn't need to quarantine or have a test if you were a close contact.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #386
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon23

Quote:

I am going to Hawaii in early December with the family 10 days. I am pretty sure we are getting stuck. Which isn’t an issue except for the price of accommodation for 2 weeks end of December would be. That could hurt.
Not sure who your flying with but Westjet will cover 14 days of accommodation ($300/day per family) plus a bunch of other things.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...ovid-insurance

I saw that AC’s Covid insurance doesn't compare but I suppose it’s better than nothing

Last edited by csnarpy; 10-15-2021 at 07:53 AM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #387
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For those that went to Hawaii, how was the turnaround for testing? I have heard about $200USD for a test as well, is that what you experienced?

We are going in January and hoping the negative test will go away on coming back to Canada. My big worry outside of potentially being positive is how quick they will get results back.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #388
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
For those that went to Hawaii, how was the turnaround for testing? I have heard about $200USD for a test as well, is that what you experienced?

We are going in January and hoping the negative test will go away on coming back to Canada. My big worry outside of potentially being positive is how quick they will get results back.
We went to the Big Island in July. We got our return tests through Clinical Labs of Hawaii. It was $150 pp for the PCR. Results were back in about 36 hours, so we got them in plenty of time.

It looks like they are now offering the NAAT with results in 1 hour for $165. I probably would have done that do avoid the worry of them not being back in time, but it wasn't an option when we went.

edited to add: looks like they only have NAAT on Oahu

https://www.clinicallabs.com/covid-19-testing/overview/
Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #389
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Not sure who your flying with but Westjet will cover 14 days of accommodation ($300/day per family) plus a bunch of other things.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...ovid-insurance

I saw that ACís Covid insurance doesn't compare but I suppose itís better than nothing

Air Canada's Covid insurance is no longer offered for bookings made after June 30, 2021.

Westjet's Covid insurance still applies, but only for flights made until October 31, 2021.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #390
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post

There is Walgreens in Hawaii
I just googled a Honolulu zip code and there are lots of locations offering testing, which I assume is free (like here on mainland).
This is the Abbott Rapid ID Now (NAAT) which is good for travel back to Canada.
Testing can be booked up to 5 days in advance on their website. You will need a US address. I assume the one for the hotel/condo you are staying at will work. These results should come back in about an hour.

I see no reason why this would not work, and is free.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #391
chedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I just googled a Honolulu zip code and there are lots of locations offering testing, which I assume is free (like here on mainland).
Testing can be booked up to 5 days in advance on their website. You will need a US address. I assume the one for the hotel/condo you are staying at will work. These results should come back in about an hour.

I hope this ends up being the case but everything I've heard from people that have been to Hawaii during this is that you'll need to spend $150 each before you board your plane home (after spending the same to get there)
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #392
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

Depends where you're going. No Walgreens on the big island, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: