Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #5801
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Netflix has commercials?

I feel like the kid in Hook, "Peter Pans gots kids?"
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:46 PM   #5802
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have a $6/mth option that has commercials and some content missing.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #5803
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
They have a $6/mth option that has commercials and some content missing.
Mmm....good ol' 'Scum Class' subscription.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:53 PM   #5804
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Are there any Anime's where women are not shown to be screaming bumbling morons?

Its so annoying. I like the stories and animations but I end up just turning them off after awhile because of the annoying voices/actions.
Cowboy Bebop. The anime, not the live-action remake. If there is one anime to show to someone that doesn't like anime, its got to be Cowboy Bebop.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 06:40 PM   #5805
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like there’s lots of free ad supported streaming services popping up. Netflix with their subsidized version.

It’s clear that they’re one step ahead of us on this. Competition will drive the race to the bottom. Short term it’ll be good, we all shift to free/cheap advertising supported content but once the majority do so we’ll have to start paying full fare again. This time paid with ads. Just like cable.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:25 AM   #5806
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Just finished That 90s Show. It was pretty good but I found it missing 90's references. Also it could have used more music from the 90s as that was a huge part of it for me.
Looking back at That 70s show, there were not a lot of references to the 70s but it felt like the 70s. This one needs that since the basement they hang out in is still the one from the 70s with the posters from then.
Overall though it was fun.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:44 PM   #5807
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Just finished That 90s Show. It was pretty good but I found it missing 90's references. Also it could have used more music from the 90s as that was a huge part of it for me.
Looking back at That 70s show, there were not a lot of references to the 70s but it felt like the 70s. This one needs that since the basement they hang out in is still the one from the 70s with the posters from then.
Overall though it was fun.
Good call on the music.

I liked the first episode, it was kind of the force awakens treatment where they gave you basically the exact same plot as the original pilot, and winked at the fact that they knew what they were doing. The later episodes I think any members of the original cast really struggled to take themselves seriously especially Red and Bob, made it a little hard to watch.

I spent too much time thinking about that show while watching it.

On launch in 1998 the show was set in early July 1977, just over 21 years between the two dates.

A realistic timeline was never really part of the show, but it wrapped in 2006 set in December 31st 1979 about 26.5 years between the two.

The new show is set on July 4th 1995, 15.5 years after the original ended, and both Donna and Jackie were hiding secret children somewhere, because according to the new cannon both of them had given birth about half a year before the finale of the original run, as they both have kids who recently turned 16 a little less than 16 years later.

And finally if you want to feel really old, almost 27.5 years have past since the events of the new run, meaning we are further away from 1995 now than we ever were from the events of the original run. As someone who never lived through the 70s but remembers the 90s well, I sure feel a lot older thinking about that.

All of that said I'd go back for more, if they make it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:51 PM   #5808
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

any thoughts on Netflix's end to password sharing?

I get it; obviously their revenues are topping out and with all the other streaming option getting Netflix isn't the no brainer it was 5-6 years ago...

I'm kinda torn...I can't say I love Netflix, but usually there's a few solid movies or series I'll watch...Not a fan of their 'shotgun' content drops and focus on algorithms to determine what shows to support...

I'll wait and see what they end up charging I guess.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:43 PM   #5809
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What do you mean end to password sharing? They threaten that once a year going back a decade. Is there something more substantial this time?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:38 PM   #5810
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What do you mean end to password sharing? They threaten that once a year going back a decade. Is there something more substantial this time?
true, but a lot of news stories of late and a date for the end of March

https://fortune.com/2023/01/25/netfl...ring-end-date/
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #5811
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That link doesn't go anywhere.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:39 AM   #5812
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's an actual drop dead date and a series of plan options going forward for people who want to stream outside of their house, etc. It will impact people who regularly travel, too.

I honestly think they've picked the worst possible time to do this. I really don't think there's much about Netflix right now that would prompt the people sharing passwords to say to themselves, "well I'd better get my own separate account now or I won't be able to see the next season of Wednesday". The platform is at one of its weaker points, it seems to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 09:20 AM   #5813
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think it depends on how much the extra account costs. Even if it’s only $5, Netflix is already outrageously expensive for the quality of content.

But yeah, it’s likely going to mean I’m done with Netflix.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #5814
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still good to throw on for the kids content but yeah, it's overall pretty expensive. We don't find much to watch on there and the content on Disney + (much cheaper) and Prime Video (included with our Prime) is comparable and much cheaper.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:14 AM   #5815
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the same vein of discussion, I received an email the other day that Apple TV is going from $6 to $9. I'd sorta forgotten I still had a subscription, but with everything going up I'm definitely going to start rotating services (I always say that, but this time I mean it)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:41 AM   #5816
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
In the same vein of discussion, I received an email the other day that Apple TV is going from $6 to $9. I'd sorta forgotten I still had a subscription, but with everything going up I'm definitely going to start rotating services (I always say that, but this time I mean it)
At least I've found that the offerings on Apple are going up in quality. I've watched a few of their Documentaries, Ted Lasso, Slow Horses, For All Mankind.

They've got some good offerings for $9.

Now...I have complimented Apple, so if you'll excuse me I need to go bathe in bleach.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #5817
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
At least I've found that the offerings on Apple are going up in quality. I've watched a few of their Documentaries, Ted Lasso, Slow Horses, For All Mankind.

They've got some good offerings for $9.

Now...I have complimented Apple, so if you'll excuse me I need to go bathe in bleach.
Aye, those were all great. Another one that stood out as a surprise was Shantaram. It was kind of slow, but a good story on second chances, starting over, criminality, betrayal. And the characters were quite engaging - even Charlie Hunnam who has the acting range of a baked potato.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #5818
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Aye, those were all great. Another one that stood out as a surprise was Shantaram. It was kind of slow, but a good story on second chances, starting over, criminality, betrayal. And the characters were quite engaging - even Charlie Hunnam who has the acting range of a baked potato.
Hey! You leave Charlie Hunnam out of this!!

I havent seen Shantaram, but Charlie Hunnam has carved out a Hollywood career and some respectable earnings despite seemingly having no actual acting talent whatsoever!

His career is the cinematic equivalent of Alchemy whereby he has turned a talentless hack into Gold.

I dont know how he did it, 'tis a secret that shall remain lost to the ages.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #5819
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, I couldn't ignore the Physical : 100 trailer anymore and finally hit play last night. Then I watched two too many episodes and stayed up way later than planned. What can I say, I am really enjoying it.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #5820
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

We've started watching it too. It's just good fun entertainment. One of the things we like about it is how pleasant everybody is to each other. They're all really respectful but also very complimentary to each other. It's probably a Korean societal thing. I can only imagine that the inevitable US remake will be full of trash talking macho bull####.

While I'm here, I'll also throw out a rec for Cunk on Earth. I wish they'd picked up some of her earlier shows too though.